Bickley does things Craig could never do

Remove this Banner Ad

Firstly selection - you say Craig would definitely have brought in Walker - he may well have after Tippett went down, but it's been mentioned on 5aa here (don't know if it's correct or not) that Craig told Walker he had a month back at Norwood to find form before he would get selected. Bicks brought him in before Tippo got injured - and apparently according to VB, one of the first things the leadership group did was approach Bicks and say they wanted him in the side.

On Triple M last night, Ditts asked VB whether Taylor had been "let off the leash." VB started crapping on about how there's no difference, that they're still asking Walker to do the same things under Craig, but then in the same breath, he completely contradicted himself by saying "The more we can get Taylor out there and get him used to our game style, and basically just play him, the better he'll get." Oh really. Just discovered this have we Nathan?

VB, you can stop the charade mate. Just say what you want to say. It is not your job to defend Neil Craig anymore.

On Triple M last night, Ditts asked VB whether Taylor had been "let off the leash." VB started crapping on about how there's no difference, that they're still asking Walker to do the same things under Craig, but then in the same breath, he completely contradicted himself by saying "The more we can get Taylor out there and get him used to our game style, and basically just play him, the better he'll get." Oh really. Just discovered this have we Nathan?

VB, you can stop the charade mate. Just say what you want to say. It is not your job to defend Neil Craig anymore.

Yep that sort of crap has to stop. Tell it how it is. I reckon V.B's image as a captain would go through the roof if he actually started to tell it how it is rather than talking in circles and constantly stating the obvious like its a gaurded secret.

Very, very good question.

Even Neil's biggest fans would have to admit that Dangerfield to permanent midfield and Riley into the team wouldn't have happened while Neil was there. Possibly others too but I'll leave it at that for now. Why couldn't the remaining coaches have convinced him to try these fairly obvious, simple moves?

was Bickley the midfield coach? If so, why wasn't Danger in there permanently?

Douglas' absence (and Mackay's) could also be a factor the last two weeks

Its been a stunning turnaround since Bicks took over, the changes in game plan have been dramatic

In the last 5 weeks we have played three top eight sides and

- Have been totally annihilated by St Kilda
- Won a gutsy come from behind win against Sydney playing man-on-man for the entire game
-Blew Essendon out of the water in the first half despite losing our two best players and playing with a loose man in defence only to be overrun in the second half

We have also played the 17th and 15th placed teams and

- Overrun Port Adelaide in the last quarter after they lost three players in the first half.
-Overrun Brisbane who were one man down from the 5 minute mark of the first quarter.

Is our new game plan for the other team to lose players early and for us to stay healthy?

Is our new game plan for the other team to lose players early and for us to stay healthy?

Your grip on reality is becoming more tenous by the day.

Care to comment on the use of Walker? Dangerfield? Reilly? The instruction from Bickley to play more unsociably? I could go on....but unless you're going to address these points, there's not much point having a discussion.

As I have said consistently, Taylor Walker is a good crumbing forward. As long as we have 60+ inside fifties every week and opposition backman that spoil each other we should be able to build a forward line around him. Geelong are gutted that Scarlett is out this week and I fully expect Taylor to rip them apart with his strong leading and contested marking.

Patty showed what he could do if he was given the opportunity to play the full game on the ball (12 disposals). I almost choked when the commentators said at half time we should move Patty to the forward line to provide another key target. Of course our midfield exploded with Aidan Riley in there as well (10 disposals in 80% game time).

What was different compared to the last time we played Brisbane? With J. Brown in attack our second key defender (now who was that???) was taken apart by Mitch Clark and Merrett monstered our forward line (he was much less influential on Sunday). We were one man down by half time and Jacobs injured his finger leaving McKernan to be chewed up by Leuenberger.

My opinion of our situation is unchanged by the arrival of Bicks. We started the season with a very inexperienced squad with less elite talent than almost all the other teams. We lost Stevens, Davis, Porplyzia and Mackay for most or all of the season. The best that could happen would be we would get games into our young players and hope that our elevated rookies would outperform the other teams top 5 draft picks and father son nominations.

I look forward to our new game plan blowing Geelong out of the water on Sunday.

Well, no. If the moves aren't having any observable effect (some are - most notably VB into the midfield, some aren't), then you need to ask if Craig was right in his previous positioning.
No you don't.

The moves may be right or wrong.

As much as you are trying to avoid it, the question is why are these (right or wrong) moves being tried now and weren't being tried previously?

If Craig was right... then why are his assistant coaches trying them out now? Did they disagree with him?

I wonder if all this praise will continue to be reaped on Bicks after the weekend. :D
To borrow a crow-mo ism from a board that shall not be named, there was always going to be an ABN celebration, from the fans and players alike.

Anyone
But
Neil

Don Scott could have taken over and it would have been party central for a few weeks.

As I have said consistently, Taylor Walker is a good crumbing forward. As long as we have 60+ inside fifties every week and opposition backman that spoil each other we should be able to build a forward line around him. Geelong are gutted that Scarlett is out this week and I fully expect Taylor to rip them apart with his strong leading and contested marking.

Patty showed what he could do if he was given the opportunity to play the full game on the ball (12 disposals). I almost choked when the commentators said at half time we should move Patty to the forward line to provide another key target. Of course our midfield exploded with Aidan Riley in there as well (10 disposals in 80% game time).

What was different compared to the last time we played Brisbane? With J. Brown in attack our second key defender (now who was that???) was taken apart by Mitch Clark and Merrett monstered our forward line (he was much less influential on Sunday). We were one man down by half time and Jacobs injured his finger leaving McKernan to be chewed up by Leuenberger.

My opinion of our situation is unchanged by the arrival of Bicks. We started the season with a very inexperienced squad with less elite talent than almost all the other teams. We lost Stevens, Davis, Porplyzia and Mackay for most or all of the season. The best that could happen would be we would get games into our young players and hope that our elevated rookies would outperform the other teams top 5 draft picks and father son nominations.

Do you think Craig was wrong to quit?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe so, but I don't think you can deny Craig's walking was a HUGE wake up call to all of them (assistant coaches included!). Much of the run and carry play that looked good yesterday was what we already have seen periodically under Craig this year (remember that thread I started about the signs for the future?) - much of the crap we saw in the 2nd and 3rd quarter has also been evident under Craig the last two seasons. No doubt in my mind that Walker would have been recalled by Craig for the Port game.

I agree that the positional moves have been quite good - though too early to call them game winners. Vader correctly identified that Danger - while good last week - really only had one moment of brilliance yesterday (albeit that game saving tackle!). Knights was injured early and had little bearing on the game. So the jury must still be out on those moves. But I do like them - particularly with Gunston and Wright providing additional options in the forward set ups, allowing Danger to be in the middle.

agree, Craigy walking was a long over-due wake up call to all involved, however the wake up call could have been avoided if Neil wasn't so fixed on his structures, game plan and training regime

Craigy's failure to evolve with the game ultimately cost him his job and yes Bick's has done everything right however IMO long-term the "sea change" needs to be greater and coach from outside the AFC needs to be appointed

RE Knights, I thought that he was pretty good in the Showdown

Finally Bick's and the players have been very respectfully towards Craigy in the media since his departure however you do pick up the under lying vibe that things did become a little stale at the club and the players are certainly enjoying the freedom to play a little more on instinct

Gold :thumbsu:

Care to comment on the use of Walker? Dangerfield? Reilly? The instruction from Bickley to play more unsociably? I could go on....but unless you're going to address these points, there's not much point having a discussion.

do you have a source for that or is it just wishful thinking?

To borrow a crow-mo ism from a board that shall not be named, there was always going to be an ABN celebration, from the fans and players alike.

Anyone
But
Neil

Don Scott could have taken over and it would have been party central for a few weeks.

What Crow-mos posting on another forum?

dont worry found it

Douglas said it on 5aa before the showdown.

Yep - Dougie was on the day after Craig resigned and said Bicks had already told them to play "closer to the edge" in terms of their aggression and if they cop a 50 or a suspension he'll wear it.

Interesting Dougie was on again last night - Rowey asked him if he was missing Craig - first thing he said was "Oh yeah, a little bit I guess" He also said that Bicks had "freeed the shackles" and was encouraging them to take the game on more so the boys were enjoying their footy more..Interesting one of the things he said when asked about the Johncock move - he said they'd been asking Craig to do that previously but it wasn't done so it was good to see Bicks and the coaching panel try it on the weekend and that it proved to be a match winning move. Can't say he sounded overly disappointed in Craig leaving and was enjoying what Bicks was bringing to the club.

Since you have not commented on my response, I will continue.

The "new game plan" was apparently based on moving the ball around the boundary rather than through the corridor. Now I'm sure this observation was based on facts rather than the ramblings of "The Factory" and "The Analyser" (that would be the same David King that declared in May this year that Richmond were certainties to finish in the top six)

So what about the facts? What was the ratio of ball movements from defence that went down the boundary line compared to through the corridor? Which method produced the most goals? How did it compare to our approach pre-Bicks?

If anyone cares to watch the replay and map our ball movement you will find that if this was the game plan then we didn't follow it.

Don't let the facts get in the way of a good argument.

Next!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Bickley does things Craig could never do

Remove this Banner Ad

Back