Bickley does things Craig could never do

Remove this Banner Ad

I think he has some fair points - particularly the harsh treatment by some in here of particular players for their on-field weaknesses, and the often stubborn blindness towards other players similar weaknesses just because they are the chosen ones.

Tex has his weaknesses, but these shouldn't be overlooked just because he is Tex.

IMO CRaigy did not handle Tex well at all.

Too much weight was put on the reasons why not to select Tex and not enough weight on the reasons too select him, Tex's strengths certainly outweigh his weaknesses

I also believe that our forward structure early in the year did not help, your never going to have a great deal of forward pressure playing three talks up forward

Credit to Bick's he has selected players based on their strengths over leaving them out because of their weaknesses, Tex and Riely are two examples of his selection policy

IMO CRaigy did not handle Tex well at all.

Too much weight was put on the reasons why not to select Tex and not enough weight on the reasons too select him, Tex's strengths certainly outweigh his weaknesses

I also believe that our forward structure early in the year did not help, your never going to have a great deal of forward pressure playing three talks up forward

Credit to Bick's he has selected players based on their strengths over leaving them out because of their weaknesses, Tex and Riely are two examples of his selection policy
Well said, you cant even begin to compare Tex with Hendo as Tex's proven upside is so much more than Hendo's. Of course you can overlook someones deficiencies if their strengths far out weigh their weeknesses.

Well said, you cant even begin to compare Tex with Hendo as Tex's proven upside is so much more than Hendo's. Of course you can overlook someones deficiencies if their strengths far out weigh their weeknesses.

Correct. Some posters (not naming names....) would do well to understand that an AFL club is not like a schoolyard where everybody gets an equal run and is judged by the same set of rules because we don't want to hurt somebody's feelings.

In case you didnt get the memo, yes, there IS a double standard. Deal with it. Taylor Walker gets more leeway because he has more talent in one of his farts than most players have in their entire body. It really is that simple. Welcome to the world of sport. If you don't think it's fair, go back to the schoolyard.

I don't understand the need to either "expose" Walker as a forward we can't "build a forward line around", or cement his place as a super key forward. He's a very talented forward, but he has his flaws. And that's okay! There is no such thing as a perfect player.

Fortunately, we have another key forward who is strong in pretty much all the areas Walker is flawed (and vice versa :eek:). The challenge is to figure out how to utilise them both in order to get a full range of positives, rather than focusing on a full range of negatives.

so you now think Walker is alright but we should stop "bashing" other players?

or was that post just to completely change the topic?

I challenge you to find 3,2 or even 1 year of posts from me criticising Taylor Walker. My first comments were about 8 weeks ago.

What I hoped to achieve was to highlight how unfair many posters are to constantly harp on about mistakes by players they "do not think are worthy" and apply a totally different set of standards to players "whose bottoms they kiss".

For the record, I think Taylor Walker has the potential to be a great key forward but his career path could also follow Scott Cummings if he doesn't work on his deficiencies. There is a long list of one trick ponies who look like they can be anything but end up dominating country footy.

For the record, I think that Kurt Tippett will become one of the most dominant forwards in the AFL over the next 5 years.

For the record, I think that Ricky Henderson has many deficiencies but his progress over the last three years has been amazing and a tribute to the AFC coaching staff.

Most of his "deficiencies" are not going to get better in the SANFL.

Most of his "deficiencies" were a product of regime-borne Craigified KPIs.

He may not be a perfect footballer, but he's not even close to warranting time in the SANFL.

Walker has legitimate deficiencies, not just things that Craig made up. Let's not beat around the bush with them.

That said, his deficiencies alone have not been enough to see him dropped to the SANFL. The problem is when his attacking game has slipped away, his nonexistent defensive game has not been able to save his spot like it has with other players (see: Stevens, Doughty, Symes, and to a lesser extent, Tippett).

All of Walker's demotions have come on the back of a stint where he has offered nothing offensively for a couple of weeks, which compounded by his other deficiencies have meant he has offered absolutely nothing to the side.

But you can't keep dropping him every time this happens. Playing deep forward is a fickle, fickle beast.

I agree he's probably been dropped a couple of times too many. Still, to my eyes his defensive efforts have stepped up, and his offensive work has not suffered one bit, so overall I'm pleased with his development.

15 goals in four weeks.

And he hasn't even been at his best for most of the last three.

Who isn't happy with that output? (Other than our former coach, SydCrow and A Few Good Men).

15 goals in four weeks.

Who isn't happy with that output? (Other than our former coach, SydCrow and A Few Good Men).

Morning Pete! It has been a bit quiet in here this morning.

Tex was great - I saw a nice (two handed) contested mark against Bock - hopefully a sign of things to come.

Also pleased with Petrenko's game. He has turned into a valuable contributor up forward. Great move by Bicks.

15 goals in four weeks.

Your continued skewed view of the Walker/Craig relationship is tiring. Walker was dropped earlier this year because his form (or lack thereof) warranted it. If not for suspension, he would have been named for the Crows for the St Kilda game. There is no doubting that Walker's efforts in the last four weeks are vastly improved on the ones before he was dropped.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

^^

Your continued denial that Walker's treatment is different under Bickley is getting tiring.

The Captain and the leadership group demanded Walker's selection. There has been a clear shift in the expectations placed on Walker.

Deny it all you want. Walker's form and Bickley's arrival as head coach are not a coincidence, and it's laughable for you to go on suggesting they are.

You could also argue that Walker's recent good form is a direct result of Bicks wanting to get game time into him regardless of his deficiencies. Funnily enough Walker has improved his defensive output anyway. Some players you just need to play and show confidence that they will sort it out on their own instead of trying to teach them to do it. Walker isn't stupid he knows what he should be doing but rating his performances on his deficiencies clearly caused him to be self-conscious of those efforts instead of concentrating on what he does best.

You know I have been one of those voices that have questioned Henderson and just lately he has shown me that he does have some real untapped talent. Sometimes his judgement is out a fraction or I wish his attack on the body would be harder or more timely but I put this down to him not being a natural footballer. There are cost to bare with drafting basketballers however much talent they possess.
Still Henderson is worth persevering with because he does have a big upside.

Taylor Walker is the opposite, he reeks of footballer! It pours out of every pore in his body. He is balanced, a beautiful kick on both legs who can easily kick over 50 metres.
On the lead he times his run well and he has superb hands and Taylor 9 times out of 10 also takes the right option as when to handball or when to kick.

Yes he has deficiencies,he is not a great pack mark,his tackling is average and he could compete harder at times esp the incident mentioned before.

Having said that he has the one trait a forward needs... he kicks goals.
Pick him apart all you like but since Bickley has come in and played him he has kicked goals.You actually need to be on the park, you don't need a a lot of touches... 15 goals in 4 games is a strong return.
When Taylor leads up and the ball is in his hand I'm confident of a scoring opportunity.

Gunston also has that same trait. If he is within 40-50 metres he backs himself that he will kick the goal.There has to be a touch of selfishness in forwards to want to be the one to kick a goal.

Some players are always going to escape criticism when compared to other team mates but that is the hierarchy of football and it's alive and well.

Deficiencies aside how many times can you drop a player before their interest or confidence wanes.Taylor Walker needed to be played in the AFL to learn his trade not in the SANFL, something which Craigy disagreed with.
Hopefully this little purple patch will be enough to see him in the Crows colours again next year.

Gunston also has that same trait. If he is within 40-50 metres he backs himself that he will kick the goal.There has to be a touch of selfishness in forwards to want to be the one to kick a goal.

I hope Gunston can improve at his set shots, he's missed a few gettable ones the past few weeks.

The last thing wee need is another forward who can't convert....i'm just starting to get over watching Ian Perrie and Nick Gill.

I hope Gunston can improve at his set shots, he's missed a few gettable ones the past few weeks.

The last thing wee need is another forward who can't convert....i'm just starting to get over watching Ian Perrie and Nick Gill.

He'll be fine. It looks like something to do with his hand at the moment and the grip. He has a far more natural kick than Sarge and Nick Gill.

^^

Your continued denial that Walker's treatment is different under Bickley is getting tiring.

The Captain and the leadership group demanded Walker's selection. There has been a clear shift in the expectations placed on Walker.

Deny it all you want. Walker's form and Bickley's arrival as head coach are not a coincidence, and it's laughable for you to go on suggesting they are.

But see this is the thing. Walker was never dropped "weeks on end" by Craig. He was dropped for a couple of weeks (and this year, justifiably so) and given things to work on. It was unfortunate that he got injured and then suspended.

The Captain demanded Walker's selection? Says who? Proof?

Maybe it's not a coincidence or just maybe it has more to do with Tex (and all his mates) deciding that they needed to pull their fingers out. Like I said, he's working far harder than he did in the early part of this season and the results are showing. He is less likely to get dropped if he is performing, yes? Perhaps the lesson has been learned.

Your continued skewed view of the Walker/Craig relationship is tiring. Walker was dropped earlier this year because his form (or lack thereof) warranted it. If not for suspension, he would have been named for the Crows for the St Kilda game. There is no doubting that Walker's efforts in the last four weeks are vastly improved on the ones before he was dropped.

And why is that? Why was Craig unable to get this effort from him? Unless Walker comes out and announces he hated craig no one other than those close to him will ever really know, but as the saying goes, actions speak louder than words..........

Remove this Banner Ad

Bickley does things Craig could never do

Remove this Banner Ad

Back