Bleeding continues at Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Then again, the Bombers don't have Eddie and the ability for Channel 9 to pay some of your contract like Collingwood do.

How about Essendon gets McVeigh jnr down to Windy Hill ;) Swans fans, would you give us a first rounder for McVeigh, knowing that the pick is 16 or 17?

Originally posted by TheMightyDons
All time greatest teams which lost 5 games in the year, finished 3rd after the h&a season, and even lost a final to your mob? Hehehe. Collingwood fans are using the greatest ever line to make themselves feel better. You guys were expecting a premiership and were favourites to win the flag as tipped by almost every single 'expert'.

You've noticed them making that excuse too? :p

Funnier thing is they actually lost 7 games this year, + one final ... to you guessed it, Collingwood!

Originally posted by ACT exile
Mc Veigh is home sick, that wont do him any good as there is no AFL team based in Canberra - he could play for Eastlake.

The newspaper today said he grew up on the central coast.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Bleeding continues at Essendon

Originally posted by Stevo
How about Crouch or Fosdike?

I have a soft spot for Crouch, and would hate to see him go. I don't know about Fosdike - he's had some shockers, but generally not too bad.

What about Scott Stevens? (I fear I'm being optomistic here).

Originally posted by Dave
Football history starting last year of course. On the way up? Heard that before. Geelong, Sydney, St Kilda, Melbourne. You wont win a flag with the list you've got and you haven't got the players or draft picks to radically improve it. Last year was your big opportunity and you blew it. Ah well, at least bucks got 1/3 of a brownlow ;)

Geoff, not bad, better than some of your other recent efforts. Whilst we're on list management I'd been keen to get your views on who out of your mob 22 from saturday will still be there this time next year.

i will - i will Blakey just a little too soon yet. need to let the dust settle and the emotions calm. whereas you guys have had an extra fortnight for that . thus my questions about your list (which i noticed you avoided1)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bleeding continues at Essendon

Originally posted by monopoly19
I have a soft spot for Crouch, and would hate to see him go. I don't know about Fosdike - he's had some shockers, but generally not too bad.

What about Scott Stevens? (I fear I'm being optomistic here).

How about this: Considering that we may have trouble signing up other players (Solomon, Bolton, Hille), and if McVeigh wants to leave that badly, would you accept McVeigh for your first draft pick (I think it's #15, correct me if I'm wrong)?

I think with that pick, we might then look to use our first pick (#13) and Jacobs to tempt Port into trading Stevens to us. If we can't do that, at least we'll have an extra handy pick. You'll have a good running player who can play both ends of the ground. He's also still fairly young (23).

As for Stevens, sorry, I doubt that will happen. He's just not the sort of player we need.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bleeding continues at Essendon

Originally posted by Stevo
How about this: Considering that we may have trouble signing up other players (Solomon, Bolton, Hille), and if McVeigh wants to leave that badly, would you accept McVeigh for your first draft pick (I think it's #15, correct me if I'm wrong)?

I'll admit I don't know much about the draft, but I don't think we'd give up a 1st round draft pick for McVeigh. Like Nick Davis last year, McVeigh would be coming to Sydney because he wants to. This makes it much easier for us to get him cheaply. If my memory is right, we got Davis for a 2nd round pick last year, and Davis would be worth a lot more than McVeigh.

I think it all depends on how much McVeigh wants to come to Sydney. If he wants to come badly enough then we may get him, otherwise I don't think Sydney would bother. We need KPP much more than we need McVeigh (someone more like Jacobs or Solomon).

But hey, I don't make the decisions!

I'll admit I don't know much about the draft, but I don't think we'd give up a 1st round draft pick for McVeigh. Like Nick Davis last year, McVeigh would be coming to Sydney because he wants to. This makes it much easier for us to get him cheaply. If my memory is right, we got Davis for a 2nd round pick last year, and Davis would be worth a lot more than McVeigh.

I think it all depends on how much McVeigh wants to come to Sydney. If he wants to come badly enough then we may get him, otherwise I don't think Sydney would bother. We need KPP much more than we need McVeigh (someone more like Jacobs or Solomon).

McVeigh is out of contract. We'll talk to Sydney and if we don't like the deal McVeigh will have to nominate for the pre-season draft and then he might not get to Sydney, so it would be in the Swans interest to not try and **** it up.

As for Davis, he may have still been under contract, so if he didn't go to the Swans and he didn't want to play for Collingwood, he would have to sit out of footy for a year. Coll would have to pay his contract and then when he left, they wouldn't get anything for him because no-one would want him during the trade period and Collingwood would have to delist him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by Pantsless
McVeigh is out of contract. We'll talk to Sydney and if we don't like the deal McVeigh will have to nominate for the pre-season draft and then he might not get to Sydney, so it would be in the Swans interest to not try and **** it up.

As for Davis, he may have still been under contract, so if he didn't go to the Swans and he didn't want to play for Collingwood, he would have to sit out of footy for a year. Coll would have to pay his contract and then when he left, they wouldn't get anything for him because no-one would want him during the trade period and Collingwood would have to delist him.

Well, I did say I didn't know much about the draft.

:D

Originally posted by Macpie
i will - i will Blakey just a little too soon yet. need to let the dust settle and the emotions calm.

Always an excuse with you eh.

whereas you guys have had an extra fortnight for that .
thus my questions about your list (which i noticed you avoided1)

Whirl covered it pretty well. We aren't letting players go through cap pressure this time around. Mercs is the only decision that in hindsight was wrong. If he'd continued to play at the level he did in '99 it wouldn't be an issue. Who was to know what happened with his brother would happen?

Originally posted by guess_who
We certainly didn't make up the numbers like Essendon, and we don't have 'the best fullback' and the best full forward in the league. Tell me you think we underachieved considering we played one of the all time greatest teams in the grandfinal.

You Pie supporters are hillarious!!! What have Collingwood been doing for the last 45 years? You guys have been making up the numbers for 10 out of the last 12 years!

Originally posted by Macpie
Will it never end!
After ditching Hardwick, Moorcroft, Caracella, Blumfield, Heffernan it now seems that Solomon, Jacobs and McVeigh are on the way out!

Have this mob got a clue about list management?

You can send Solly to us if you don't want him but wouldn't touch the other two. Jacobs has been found out a bit lately and McVeigh would only play at Willy if we had him

So fool, in the one breath you criticise Essendon's list management,and in the next offer your expert opinion that two of the three players are no good. On that basis they are right on the money.

Pretty sad attempt to deflect the light from your own sorry list I would have thought.

Originally posted by DonAce

Heffernan, we got Laycock, the guy many said was the best big-man in the draft. Looks to be shaping as a good CHF and should play senior footy next year. Heffernan was a good player, but he's not, nor ever will be, a star.
We also got Nick Smith. He DID play senior footy this year, and he is one of the best marks I have ever seen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bleeding continues at Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back