• Back in full training
  • Availability: two weeks

Matt Carroll (groin)
  • Making improvement in training loads, will continue to monitor his progress
  • Availability: indefinite

Player

Injury

Update

Matt CarrollGroinMaking improvement in training loads, will continue to monitor his progress.
Availability: indefinite. (Update: 25 June)
Adam CerraHamstringAvailability: test. (Update: 25 June)
Matthew CottrellFootBack in skills training.
Availability: 2-3 weeks. (Update: 18 June)
Sam DochertyKneeSuffered a ruptured ACL and torn meniscus in his right knee. (Update: 9 March)
Jack MartinCalfBack in full training.
Availability: two weeks. (Update: 25 June)
Hudson O'KeeffeHamstringExperienced a high-grade hamstring strain at training on Sunday.
Availability: 8-12 weeks. (Update: 14 May)
Jack SilvagniKneeHas begun initial stages of rehab following surgery. (Update: 21 February)
Billy WilsonKneeManaging some knee soreness out of VFL game on Saturday.
Availability: one week. (Update: 25 June)

In chronological order
Cerra - Test
Wilson - 1 week
Cottrell - 1-2 weeks
Martin - 2 weeks
O'Keeffe - 2-6 weeks?
Carroll - Indefinite
Docherty - Season
Silvagni - Season

That injury list almost bring a tear to the eye. Long may that short list continue.
Facepalm GIF by MOODMAN

A superstitious bunch hey ;) :tearsofjoy:

Yes, you need to be banned immediately. In fact, locked in a white padded room with no internet access for the rest of the AFL season.

Or, just say 10 Hail Mary’s and all will be forgiven.

Full quote:
But I'm a superstitious man, and if some unlucky accident should befall him... if he should be shot in the hamstring by a footy god, or if he should hurt himself in his calves, or if he's struck by a bolt of lightning, then I'm going to blame some of the people in this room, and that I do not forgive.

Question: Jack Martin we all hope like hell that he can not only get up and running for a chance to help provide us with his undeniable talent we need and know that game changing level he can preform at from last years run of rare extended games, a match winner…
If he succeeds to come back and plays a major role again for the team then that’s a massive win for him and the club, but what if he’s body fails to allow him to play or get back on the park in any capacity? we will need to move past him at years end like a few others…
I feel for him because ability wise, it’s in the manner he plays the game he is the exact type of player that makes him a serious team/match winner, like Cunners and Marchy it’s a real shame that all their talent hasn’t allowed them to live up to their potential…
I don't think we will have to move past him. I think that will be up the list management team to decide. He really only has to play a 3 or 4 good games for us at the right time to be extremely valuable. We aren't going to need him to finish top 4 but we may need him to beat the best teams come finals. I think we know that and I think our new found patience will be what sees this happen.

Marchbank has been less injury prone this season and more unlucky. Getting cleaned up by his own teammate and a nasty virus has seen him miss a lot of footy. I think if he finishes the season ok, then I would be confident in his body going into next season.

Both of these players, you don't just delist them and go out and get a new one. Very unlikely that you don't hit the mark with their replacement or that you pay through the nose to get someone of the same level.

The beauty is that we now don't need these guys to make the top 4. Which means we can baby them and go without them for a good while. Set them up to have a really short but really good season in the back end of it.

No pressure on Cerra, Martin or Marchbank to come back and save us. We will be patient and use them to make us better should the opportunity arise and there is definitely time to achieve this.

I don't think we will have to move past him. I think that will be up the list management team to decide. He really only has to play a 3 or 4 good games for us at the right time to be extremely valuable. We aren't going to need him to finish top 4 but we may need him to beat the best teams come finals. I think we know that and I think our new found patience will be what sees this happen.

Marchbank has been less injury prone this season and more unlucky. Getting cleaned up by his own teammate and a nasty virus has seen him miss a lot of footy. I think if he finishes the season ok, then I would be confident in his body going into next season.

Both of these players, you don't just delist them and go out and get a new one. Very unlikely that you don't hit the mark with their replacement or that you pay through the nose to get someone of the same level.

The beauty is that we now don't need these guys to make the top 4. Which means we can baby them and go without them for a good while. Set them up to have a really short but really good season in the back end of it.

No pressure on Cerra, Martin or Marchbank to come back and save us. We will be patient and use them to make us better should the opportunity arise and there is definitely time to achieve this.
I see things a little differently Gman, again just my opinion, personally i feel no matter how much talent particular players have if they are continuing to be unavailable through injuries, particularly soft tissue for years on end then we must look to move forward and past them…

You may not get the same caliber of Martin as a direct replacement but to have a player who can be relied upon to play a role on a consistent basis i feel is the way to move forward…

Cunners I’ve always liked his strengths as a player, speed clean skilled but unfortunately he also has never lived up to his full potential, body can’t stand up to the rigorous demands of football…

Marchbank is another who has been very unlucky mainly because he has had so many different types of injuries, some which have been of the rare variety, i feel we need for future list balance to replace him with a KPD either through the draft or by trade…

We’re tight for list spots and our list needs future additions and balance in positions that need upgrades in availability for the immediate and longer term…

I see things a little differently Gman, again just my opinion, personally i feel no matter how much talent particular players have if they are continuing to be unavailable through injuries, particularly soft tissue for years on end then we must look to move forward and past them…

You may not get the same caliber of Martin as a direct replacement but to have a player who can be relied upon to play a role on a consistent basis i feel is the way to move forward…

Cunners I’ve always liked his strengths as a player, speed clean skilled but unfortunately he also has never lived up to his full potential, body can’t stand up to the rigorous demands of football…

Marchbank is another who has been very unlucky mainly because he has had so many different types of injuries, some which have been of the rare variety, i feel we need for future list balance to replace him with a KPD either through the draft or by trade…

We’re tight for list spots and our list needs future additions and balance in positions that need upgrades in availability for the immediate and longer term…
Yep, a common statistic of a lot of recent premiership teams falls upon the "players used" in the back half of the season statistic. Generally the 2 Grand finalsts have pretty much the lowest value in this category. Consistency, cohesion and flow is a big thing in any sport and even Voss has been preaching this recently in his pressers, particularly around the defence now being settled (hence can't see Moo and Kemp being dropped for Marchbank when both are fit).

It's not always about the most talented, but the rapport and understanding the players have during the heat of battle. Pies were not the best list/team last year and in 2010 but they had system and a large majority of the same 22/23 playing week in and week out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, a common statistic of a lot of recent premiership teams falls upon the "players used" in the back half of the season statistic. Generally the 2 Grand finalsts have pretty much the lowest value in this category. Consistency, cohesion and flow is a big thing in any sport and even Voss has been preaching this recently in his pressers, particularly around the defence now being settled (hence can't see Moo and Kemp being dropped for Marchbank when both are fit).

It's not always about the most talented, but the rapport and understanding the players have during the heat of battle. Pies were not the best list/team last year and in 2010 but they had system and a large majority of the same 22/23 playing week in and week out.

Cunners 9th year 56 games
Marchy 10th year 63 games

Martin 5th year at Carlton
Games 15 , 11 , 12 , 13 , 1*
Total 52 games of 106* total games atm…
He been injured with us on 14 separate occasions..

3x1(2020) 4 block(2020)
3x1(2021) 8 block(2021)
1(2022) 4 block(2022) 6 block(2022)
11 block(2023)
8 block(2024) & 6 block(2024) so far

Cunners 9th year 56 games
Marchy 10th year 63 games

Martin 5th year at Carlton
Games 15 , 11 , 12 , 13 , 1*
Total 52 games of 106* total games atm…
He been injured with us on 14 separate occasions..

3x1(2020) 4 block(2020)
3x1(2021) 8 block(2021)
1(2022) 4 block(2022) 6 block(2022)
11 block(2023)
8 block(2024) & 6 block(2024) so far
Getting 6 games a year on average from Marchy and Cunners shows their time should be up. Even though Martin is averaging 10 a season, his recent soft tissue concerns making him miss lengthy amounts of times atm and possibly in the future shows he may be a liability. But we could offer his a 1 year deal for a decent price due to his value for our forward line when firing.

Getting 6 games a year on average from Marchy and Cunners shows their time should be up. Even though Martin is averaging 10 a season, his recent soft tissue concerns making him miss lengthy amounts of times atm and possibly in the future shows he may be a liability. But we could offer his a 1 year deal for a decent price due to his value for our forward line when firing.
It is the lengthy layoffs that i wanted to highlight, they and the actual recurring soft tissue issues are the more concerning part…
Alot will depend on what happens with him for the rest of the season…

Remove this Banner Ad

Injury Blue Healers Discussion - 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back