Injury Blue Healers Discussion - 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Latest Injury Update 23rd July …

UPDATES on 11 Blues leading into Round 20:-

Tom De Koning (lung/foot)

• Experienced a collapsed lung and a foot fracture during the win over North Melbourne
  • Was treated on Sunday night in hospital for the collapsed lung and is recovering well
  • Will undergo surgery this week on his fractured foot and as a result will be sidelined for the remainder of the home and away season

Blake Acres (foot)
  • Scans cleared him of damage to his foot after being subbed out of the game against North Melbourne
  • Will aim to train fully this week to be available
  • Availability: Test

Sam Durdin (calf)
  • Underwent scans which confirmed a medium-grade calf strain, following the game against North Melbourne
  • Availability: 4-6 weeks

Hudson O’Keeffe (hamstring)
  • Underwent scans which confirmed a hamstring strain, following the VFL game on Sunday
  • His timeline of recovery will be determined over the next fortnight

Jordan Boyd (shin soreness)

- Availability: Test

Caleb Marchbank (illness)

Orazio Fantasia (calf)

Mitch McGovern (hip flexor)

Zac Williams (hamstring)
  • Recovering from a low-grade hamstring strain
  • Availability: 3-4 weeks

Corey Durdin (shoulder)
  • Currently a week-to-week assessment, with the Club to be guided by his progression over the coming weeks
  • Availability: TBA

Jack Silvagni (knee)

- Has commenced his running program, which he will look to progress over the coming months

IMG_0911.jpeg
IMG_0912.jpeg

McStay is coming back after 6.5 months which is miles ahead of schedule. Even that would put Doc just in for the GF.

It will be interesting to see how it works out for McStay. Seems risky to me but they don't take 12months in the States so who knows.
Mcstay did his ACL in late November. That's not 6.5 months, a long way from it.

There saying it was around an 8 month turnaround
Right. Now say you're Michael Voss... Are you selecting a player coming off his 3rd ACL after an 8 month turnaround when his first game back would be tracking to be in a Grand Final? Doch might say he's right to go, but unless he's somehow going to manage a 6 month recovery for the biggest injury in footy, play multiple games in the VFL to get match fitness, then prove himself capable for AFL level over a couple of games and then put his hand up to play the Grand Final...There is a 0% chance of this occurring.

No player, even Crippa or Charlie, is going to be selected to play in a Grand Final off 0 preparation.

Max Holmes didn't even get selected in a team he starred in all season long in 2022 because he had a a very minor hamstring injury. The risk is too great to lose a key rotation early in the biggest game of the year.

Right. Now say you're Michael Voss... Are you selecting a player coming off his 3rd ACL after an 8 month turnaround when his first game back would be tracking to be in a Grand Final? Doch might say he's right to go, but unless he's somehow going to manage a 6 month recovery for the biggest injury in footy, play multiple games in the VFL to get match fitness, then prove himself capable for AFL level over a couple of games and then put his hand up to play the Grand Final...There is a 0% chance of this occurring.

No player, even Crippa or Charlie, is going to be selected to play in a Grand Final off 0 preparation.

Max Holmes didn't even get selected in a team he starred in all season long in 2022 because he had a a very minor hamstring injury. The risk is too great to lose a key rotation early in the biggest game of the year.
Yeah fully understand your point wash.
It’s highly unlikely, but interesting none the less

Mmm. And yet, it's Doc.
A 6 month turnaround after ACL reco is pretty near impossible.

He would struggle to be ready for full contact training by September, let alone a full H&A game, let alone a final.

Nobody deserves a chance to play finals and be a chance for a premiership medal more than Doc but it won't be this year unfortunately.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Every sport I've played, or triathlon I've competed in I've strapped my ankles and 99.9% of AFL players most likely do too. He probably rolled it in warm-up and the existing tape did its job and as commonplace they'd have re-wrapped it for him as his initial taping would be compromised and need to be re-done.
That was my point.

On SM-F946B using BigFooty.com mobile app

A 6 month turnaround after ACL reco is pretty near impossible.

He would struggle to be ready for full contact training by September, let alone a full H&A game, let alone a final.

Nobody deserves a chance to play finals and be a chance for a premiership medal more than Doc but it won't be this year unfortunately.

Tyson Goldsack did it in 5 months in 2018.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Tyson Goldsack did it in 5 months in 2018.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
That's a very rare exception to the rule. Some players are capable of healing a bit faster than others but again they're extremely rare.

I remember Tom Liberatore returning after about 5 months post ACL in the 90s.

Be that as it may, 99% (probably closer to 99.9%) of players don't return within 6 months of an ACL reco.

What exactly did you say ?

I am too lazy to go back in the thread and work it out :D
I said I found it interesting that they reported on Doc's progress in the injury report...and that maybe the person who said Doc is trying to make it back for finals was on to something.
😄

Last edited:
I said I found it interestingcthat they reported on Doc's progress in the injury report...and that maybe the person who said Doc is trying to make it back for finals was on to something.
😄
Gosh that is a controversial thing to say :eek:

That's a very rare exception to the rule. Some players are capable of healing a bit faster than others but again they're extremely rare.

Be that as it may, 99% (probably closer to 99.9%) of players don't return within 6 months of an ACL reco.
images.jpeg.jpg

Every sport I've played, or triathlon I've competed in I've strapped my ankles and 99.9% of AFL players most likely do too. He probably rolled it in warm-up and the existing tape did its job and as commonplace they'd have re-wrapped it for him as his initial taping would be compromised and need to be re-done.
Have you ever had an eversion ankle sprain - when your ankle bends inwards?

I’ve never taped my ankles and went through a ton of normal ankle sprains and only recently suffered my first ankle eversion. I think i need to start taping.

Libba's was Lars surgery.

On SM-F946B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Injury Blue Healers Discussion - 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back