Bluemour Discussion Thread XII - Facts Not Welcome (cont in pt 13)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Carlton 2018 Offseason:

FA:
Alex Fasolo (Collingwood)

Trade 1:

Carl Gives: Pick 25 + First Mature Age Selection Shane McAdam
Adel Give: Mitch McGovern + Pick 69

Trade 2:

Carl Gives: 2019 First Round + Third Mature Age Selection + Pick 24

GWS Gives: Dylan Shiel + Will Setterfield + 2019 Second Round

Draft:

Sam Walsh

We need to settle down. As I said it’s last weeks news and I’d say it was one of several scenarios discussed ,offered and counter offered.
If I got the mail last week and this dude from Macquarie radio or wherever is a week late. For all we know sos hit it on the head then.

Sorry mate, couldn’t disagree with you more.

This would go down as one of the best trades of all time if it went through.

We’d all love to see pick 1 in navy blue but this would be an offer surely too good to refuse.

I can’t believe it would be offered, let alone rejected.

Not really.

Shiel is free next year, Scully is 28, and Setterfield hasn’t played yet and has been broken down since he was 16. Got to be smarter than that.

So many so hellbent on getting Walsh with no guarantee he ill or will not make it in the AFL . He wouldnt be the first one to be hyped up and not hit the highs. Sorry but i still have faith in Cripps, Fisher, Dow, Obrien , SPS etc to be guns themselves so if we had the opportunity to bring in 3 A grade talents for pick 1 then bring it on. Walsh is there on potential he hasnt done a thing yet. We need mature players badly. Theres some kid already smashing it already as a mid in the u17s saying he will be a beast so should we not trade anything anytime and just keep finishing bottom or actually put more faith in the young mids we already got. And anyway think about it GWS will take Walsh and in 2 years time we will poach him when he is ready to go.

Is Scully anything more than a salary dump? Believe is was out for most of the season with an injury? Summary: can run all day, racks up a good number of possessions. Is that accurate? Where would he rank in our midfield?

If this is true, we’d be absolutely nuts to reject it.

You are entitled to your opinion,
But 2 of the 3 players mentioned are coming off major injuries.
Ankles never recover
And top knee surgeons constantly remind us that the rate of ACL reoccurrence in males under the age of 21 is horrendous
Culture is everything. That is Sam Walsh

Sorry mate, couldn’t disagree with you more.

This would go down as one of the best trades of all time if it went through.

We’d all love to see pick 1 in navy blue but this would be an offer surely too good to refuse.

I can’t believe it would be offered, let alone rejected.
It was offered you can be sure.

This intrigues me but I wouldn't do it. I think Shiel and Setterfield are gettable without giving up pick 1 and I'd prefer Walsh to Scully.
Yeah, this is the point that keeps going through my mind. Without Scully we can hold on to pick 1. Gee, Scully would be a nice get though. His work rate is insane.

GWS have the right to ask for pick 1 as first offer, and one would think the good sense to know that they wont get it. If they have offered it then they have to get rid of the three. Just like Adelaide and McGovern they have little bargaining power in such a scenario.

Personally I don’t feel right about it because it smells of quick fix. I’d take Shiel and setterfield but not for pick 1. Next years first no problem and take 1 to the draft.
The cap space is not a problem going fwd because the first 2 years will be heavily front loaded.
I feel the same
flower it, im not taking down my emotional/expectation barrier.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TBH, i'm tired of the whole shiel conundrum. If he picks hawthorn then he clearly is delusional about their future. Good luck to him
Can some of you be realistic for just a second?

If he chooses Hawthorn it’s pretty ****ing obvious why. They’ve won four flags in the last ten years with one of the better coaches of all time. Their list may have some holes now and some guns on the way out but they’ve still got young guns like O’Meara, Sicily and the newly crowned Brownlow medallist in Tom Michell. What midfielder wouldn’t want to play next to a gun like that?

We just had one of our worst ever seasons. That counts for something no matter what some on here try to claim. When are you barely winning and getting embarrassed a fair bit, trying to sell the club long term to a gun player is a tough thing.

Shiel and any other player in their prime doesn’t have years to spare hoping a team comes good. Maybe he does believe in the club’s vision and come aboard great. But if he doesn’t that doesn’t necessarily mean he’s delusional about where our club and a club like Hawthorn is at. But leaving a club bound to be in the top 6 for the foreseeable future for a team on the bottom of the ladder is a giant risk. Especially when you consider that Shiel has basically spent a large portion of his career already on a bottom side.

And there is no guarantee that Hawthorn just goes to shit and is back down the bottom. Look at Geelong. Everyone thought they were cooked in 2010. They went on to win another flag and after 2015 where they missed the finals they went on to make another two prelims. If they can add talent around Mitchell etc they could very easily be a good side for a while.

Where is the association of Walls to the powerbrokers at the club coming from. He wasn't a fan of them when he coached the club.

It was reported by one of the footy scribes a couple of days back. Not sure if true or not.

Is Scully anything more than a salary dump? Believe is was out for most of the season with an injury? Summary: can run all day, racks up a good number of possessions. Is that accurate? Where would he rank in our midfield?

He has plenty of value. The sheer amount of work he gets through and his ability to use the ball is pretty impressive. If he hadn't been injured, he'd go close to commanding what we got for Gibbs.

He would instantly be the 3rd best player in our side next year, and second best mid, not counting any other trades we bring in.

Can some of you be realistic for just a second?

If he chooses Hawthorn it’s pretty ******* obvious why. They’ve won four flags in the last ten years with one of the better coaches of all time. Their list may have some holes now and some guns on the way out but they’ve still got young guns like O’Meara, Sicily and the newly crowned Brownlow medallist in Tom Michell. What midfielder wouldn’t want to play next to a gun like that?

We just had one of our worst ever seasons. That counts for something no matter what some on here try to claim. When are you barely winning and getting embarrassed a fair bit, trying to sell the club long term to a gun player is a tough thing.

Shiel and any other player in their prime doesn’t have years to spare hoping a team comes good. Maybe he does believe in the club’s vision and come aboard great. But if he doesn’t that doesn’t necessarily mean he’s delusional about where our club and a club like Hawthorn is at. But leaving a club bound to be in the top 6 for the foreseeable future for a team on the bottom of the ladder is a giant risk. Especially when you consider that Shiel has basically spent a large portion of his career already on a bottom side.

And there is no guarantee that Hawthorn just goes to shit and is back down the bottom. Look at Geelong. Everyone thought they were cooked in 2010. They went on to win another flag and after 2015 where they missed the finals they went on to make another two prelims. If they can add talent around Mitchell etc they could very easily be a good side for a while.

You mean if we can add talent around Cripps etc that we could very easily be a good side for a while, too?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Welcome down, Tom Browne on Talking Footy last week was the 1st out of the blocks.

Thought it was him but didn't want to say in case I was mistaken.

Club goes from midfield nothing to Top8 midfield plus reserves in one trade period.
looks like there's about 4 threads people are interested in these days:

• bluemours no discussion
  • bluemours shitloads of discussion with puns and added mayo
  • mcgovern mcoming
  • d word
All need more mongrel.

Ok you’re close and I have clearance to go public.
I messaged Shandog last week (He can confirm) GWS has offered us Scully setterfield Shiel for our pick 1.
This happened early last week and I don’t have knowledge of our response.

How is that not a straight up yes, where do I sign?

Why would we be dreaming? If they lose Shiel to fa next year there's no way they're getting a pick higher than our 2019 first.

Setterfield for #25 is the one where we will struggle imo.

McGovern for #24 probably won't get it done either.

No wonder we're trying to offload Casboult. Doubt we'll get anything higher than a 4th rounder for him though.

We're going to struggle to get these deals done. Our best hope is that GWS accept 2019 1st + #25 for Shiel + Setterfield and #24 + McAdam get the deal done for McGovern.

#1 must be off the table unless they offer Kelly, which won't happen.

FWIW, I still think it's a bad move for Shiel to leave this year. Hawks aren't winning the flag. Neither are we. GWS have a much better shot. Why leave this year and weaken the club you're going to by forcing them to trade a high end pick? Is this just to help GWS get a better draft pick? They're pretenders big time if they're thinking about draft picks instead of retaining their best players to try and win a flag while they can. It's as if they're trying to rebuild while contending for the flag at the same time. Ridiculous tactics by them imo.
They're strategy is probably to keep cycling their flight risk players before they become free agents, to cash in on maximum return. It's not ridiculous at all. It's quite clever and shrewd

Scully had a freak broken ankle in round 2. It should be healed for next year.

A fit Tom Scully would be easily our second best midfielder behind Cripps. He's a gut-running winger, not dissimilar to young Marc Murphy but has been able to play outside more and therefore copped less of a battering over time. He was AA squad in 2017, alongside Shiel who was AA that year (and squad this year).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back