Bluemour Discussion Thread XII - Facts Not Welcome (cont in pt 13)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No way- Fevola an absolute talent, once in a generation player who unfortunately had off field issues. PP would have been burnt down if that had happened

So what, needed to go to get deal done. He was a problem child. Ideal time to trade. Missed the boat there and lost Kennedy. Greg Swann...idiot...

For those who are adamant of keeping pick 1. If you could go back in time to the Judd deal, would you keep Kennedy or Pick 1 (Krueze)?

West Coast wanted Cotchin.

Eagles really wanted kennedy, not so much fevola.
Too bad. That is what the deal should have been. When push come to shove they would have taken it. We were stupid under Swann to do they way we did it. Trading Kennedy then would be like trading Harry McKay now as steak knifes in a deal to get Shiel. dumb!!!

It could work something like this..For Mcgovern trade one of our second rounders along with trading one of mature ages to Adelaide.
Future 1st and this year's other second rounder for Shiel and Setterfield. Pick Walsh with pick one.. Thoughts?

Think this would obviously be everyone's preferred outcome but will the Giants and Crows agree to it ??? .....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So what, needed to go to get deal done. He was a problem child. Ideal time to trade. Missed the boat there and lost Kennedy. Greg Swann...idiot...

When we made our pitch to Shiel yesterday, don’t you think a fair part of it would have been around giving him the chance to play with Cripps, Charlie, and Docherty? It was the same with the Judd trade and giving him the chance to play with Fev. Not only that, but my understanding has always been that Judd declared he wasn’t interested if we didn’t have Fev.

Put it the other way. What do you think our chances of Shiel would be if we told him that the only way we could trade for him would be by way of jettisoning Cripps or Curnow? A graders want to play with A grade talent. Fev had flaws, but he was A grade talent. Judd wanted him here.

For those who are adamant of keeping pick 1. If you could go back in time to the Judd deal, would you keep Kennedy or Pick 1 (Krueze)?
If I could go back in time I would have kept pick 1 and selected Dangerfield.

Also, if I went back in time I would have traded Fevola instead of Kennedy. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

FWIW here's how I am seeing what we are doing.

Going for quality to add to the midfield. Names like Shiel Gaff Setterfield Tyson maybe Libba have been our targets then we want Walsh
Adding McGovern makes a big difference to our forward line and our backline is set. We will look at adding cheaper options to these areas as depth options

Fev had flaws, but he was A grade talent. Judd wanted him here.
and it is this type of thinking that had us lose Kennedy after putting two years into his development. Dumb. Fevola was A grade talent, but he had on field flaws, that were bad for team culture. You had the but around the wrong way....
He would give too many 50 metres away being petulant. I loved his talent but hated his flaws just as much. It was perfect time to get Judd and give up something of A grade talent that also had serious flaws for team football. I was asked what I would have done and at the time it is what I would have done, and decade on still think the same. Only pissed me off more when years later shit hit fan and we traded him much later when he was damaged good and got less than his value.

I’ll confess, I don’t understand this point of view. How is it trading our future away if the trade includes a gun kid in about the same age bracket as Walsh? In terms of our future we’ve really added like for like.

Then we add Shiel and Scully who are both in an age bracket we desperately need. Shiel is quality, would be the second best player in our team instantly and the best mid in a lot of teams. Plus, it’s not like he’s 28-29, he has at least 5 years of quality football.

So even if we don’t win a flag with Shiel, it’s not like we have added quality youth this year. The rebuild continues. Not to mention the fact that we’re still looking at s top 5 pick next year.
We could get serterfield for a pick approx 20.
And scully isnt really the right age bracket.

I expect walsh to go past all 3 players mentioned in 4 years time when we are banging down the door of a premiership.

It was Judd +46 for Kennedy + pick 4 +20 so your comparison isn’t quite right

Given the option, would have traded pick 1 if it meant keeping Kennedy +pick 4 +20

Adamant at the time that we overpaid. Having kept pick 1 though, I would have gone small and taken Cotchin over Kreuzer.

Would you give up Cotchin to get a 27/28 yo mid coming off a serious injury (Scully) + masten?

Pretty sure, the rumour was GWS offered Shiel, Setterfield and Scully for pick 1 this year, no rumour that SOS would entertain the offer....

Would be Cray Cray not to entertain the offer

When we made our pitch to Shiel yesterday, don’t you think a fair part of it would have been around giving him the chance to play with Cripps, Charlie, and Docherty? It was the same with the Judd trade and giving him the chance to play with Fev. Not only that, but my understanding has always been that Judd declared he wasn’t interested if we didn’t have Fev.

Put it the other way. What do you think our chances of Shiel would be if we told him that the only way we could trade for him would be by way of jettisoning Cripps or Curnow? A graders want to play with A grade talent. Fev had flaws, but he was A grade talent. Judd wanted him here.
Correct, Judd stated he was looking forward to having a player like Fev to kick to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back