Bluemour Discussion Thread XII - Facts Not Welcome (cont in pt 13)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Summary from Young chat with Weasley on SEN about 'why Carlton', something all Crows supporters including Blight and Kornes should listen to (though they'll probably claim Young is lying):

- He (MM) loves an assistant coach there by the name of David Teague, who he had at the Crows and they've got a really strong relationship, so that was a big tick for Mitch. He's got a great belief in his coaching style.
- Secondly, the Carlton list. It's a very young list, and he believes he can grow with those big forwards down there being (obviously) Curnow and McKay - only 21/20. Crippsy in the middle at 23 - they've actually got a good young crew coming through and we believe (he believes) professsionally in the next 2 or 3 years with him down forward that he'll make a difference and bring Carlton back to where they should be as an elite club in the AFL.
- But also in Adelaide, he doesn't have a lot of friends outside of footy, which is not a big issue. But only in Melbourne, there's quite a few lads that he grew up with in Albany - 5 or 6 of them that he's best mates with. So just the logistics of all of that; there's 7 players (from memory) at Carlton that he gets along with really well, so it was just a really good fit.
- He went through the same process last year when he signed with the Crows.

On why Mitch signed last year:
- He doesn't regret signing. He was really open and honest with Don and the club and signed on the belief that the club was heading in a certain direction and ran a certain way. But we're all put on this earth and sometimes we all don't get along. And certainly through the modern-day workplace, things might not be going your way. So you either leave or you stay. To the Crows credit, they realise that they couldn't change his thought process and are trying to work on a trade. So they were mainly his reasons. There is A LOT of subtext here that isn't being said and won't be revealed, but reading between the lines - the big changes were how poorly the Crows have gone this year and how poorly they have managed the players/club in his eyes - the camp, injuries, other stuff we will never know. For a young player to love the club but just 12m later want to leave, citing these reasons - not good.

On whether he was deeply affected by the camp:
- That's probably a really good question you'd need to ask him, with where it sits with trade period. But there were a couple little things he didn't agree with (understatement of the year, from what I've heard) but as I said - that's something that he should probably talk about, not me. But there were a lot of reasons, and that'd be a little bit about that.
- Mitch has been very quiet about the camp and discussed privately with the Crows. He had a few issues with the camp, but has moved on. That's not the main reason he's asking for trade.
- 'is that the starting of the breakdown of the relationship?' No, not really. The start of the season, the preseason - there were a few things going on at training, which can't elaborate on at the moment. But it was just a little progress of little things; getting injured didn't help - at the wrong time. Then you're in rehab for a long time, and you don't have many friends or family around and these feelings start to fester. That just built up, and towards the end he felt he'd just made the wrong move in signing and he's going to ask for a trade.

Weasley then went onto ask about money, which is the one part of the chat that was reported on (not the above).

To any Crows fans reading this - read the subtext; know that it's not all about how good a team is now. Hell, look at what Hannebery said about the Saints. Not every player wants to go to a club just because they're currently in the top 4 or are offering more money. If you can't understand this, then you can't be helped.

New releases on the Trade Album!

‘I can Mitch I can Mitch

Oh the Mitch is back

Stone cold sober as a matter of fact

I’d take Mitch I’d take Mitch ‘cause he’s better than Hugh

It’s the way that he marks the goals he’ll kick too

Oh oh oh’

and

‘Keep smiling, keep shining knowing Blues can always count on you,

Come on Mitchy that’s what friends are for’
How about ‘Mitch McGovern’ sung to the tune of ‘Summer Lovin’.

Yes he would be for starters, but internally we’ve invested in him. When you make an investment why trade out and lose on it before it’s reached its potential. Absolutely ludicrous.

Agreed Skyhorse......ridiculous to suggest we trade out a young player who loves the club, has played good footy and is doing everything he can to improve.

And I certainly would not under emphasize the effect such a move by the club would have on the morale of the other young Blues players. We are building a culture to encourage good players to want to stick together and to lure other good players.

Summary from Young chat with Weasley on SEN about 'why Carlton', something all Crows supporters including Blight and Kornes should listen to (though they'll probably claim Young is lying):

- He (MM) loves an assistant coach there by the name of David Teague, who he had at the Crows and they've got a really strong relationship, so that was a big tick for Mitch. He's got a great belief in his coaching style.
- Secondly, the Carlton list. It's a very young list, and he believes he can grow with those big forwards down there being (obviously) Curnow and McKay - only 21/20. Crippsy in the middle at 23 - they've actually got a good young crew coming through and we believe (he believes) professsionally in the next 2 or 3 years with him down forward that he'll make a difference and bring Carlton back to where they should be as an elite club in the AFL.
- But also in Adelaide, he doesn't have a lot of friends outside of footy, which is not a big issue. But only in Melbourne, there's quite a few lads that he grew up with in Albany - 5 or 6 of them that he's best mates with. So just the logistics of all of that; there's 7 players (from memory) at Carlton that he gets along with really well, so it was just a really good fit.

- He doesn't regret signing. He was really open and honest with Don and the club and signed on the belief that the club was heading in a certain direction and ran a certain way. But we're all put on this earth and sometimes we all don't get along. And certainly through the modern-day workplace, things might not be going your way. So you either leave or you stay. To the Crows credit, they realise that they couldn't change his thought process and are trying to work on a trade. So they were mainly his reasons. There is A LOT of subtext here that isn't being said and won't be revealed, but reading between the lines - the big changes were how poorly the Crows have gone this year and how poorly they have managed the players/club in his eyes - the camp, injuries, other stuff we will never know. For a young player to love the club but just 12m later want to leave, citing these reasons - not good.

- That's probably a really good question you'd need to ask him, with where it sits with trade period. But there were a couple little things he didn't agree with (understatement of the year, from what I've heard) but as I said - that's something that he should probably talk about, not me. But there were a lot of reasons, and that'd be a little bit about that.
- Mitch has been very quiet about the camp and discussed privately with the Crows. He had a few issues with the camp, but has moved on. That's not the main reason he's asking for trade.
- 'is that the starting of the breakdown of the relationship?' No, not really. The start of the season, the preseason - there were a few things going on at training, which can't elaborate on at the moment. But it was just a little progress of little things; getting injured didn't help - at the wrong time. Then you're in rehab for a long time, and you don't have many friends or family around and these feelings start to fester. That just built up, and towards the end he felt he'd just made the wrong move in signing and he's going to ask for a trade.

Weasley then went onto ask about money, which is the one part of the chat that was reported on (not the above).

To any Crows fans reading this - read the subtext; know that it's not all about how good a team is now. Hell, look at what Hannebery said about the Saints. Not every player wants to go to a club just because they're currently in the top 4 or are offering more money. If you can't understand this, then you can't be helped.
Unbelievable.....and all this time I thought it was because he couldn't bear drinking that cat's p*** West End Draught any longer over in Adelaide....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Audio:-

https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=279279

Wonder how some of them would look in a team that wins 2 games?

SPS has had a baptism of fire. Will be much better in a stronger side, rather than trying to match it in the middle with seasoned AFL footballers.

Just don't rate SPS as high as some here do. Don't think he is elite, or has elite potential. Think he is a B grader. Been pretty consistent in that thought since he joined..

I didn’t say “will win”. Why would you (or someone) change that? I said “will be announced”
Not sure any other two players will get close to matching Cripps.

Would also be shocked if Cripps isn’t one of the co-captains alongside Doc.

Just making a fairly safe prediction

Was a hard slog to listen to that bloke (Whateley) so thought text may be easier to digest and clearer given Young tends to ramble a little.
Seriously cannot listen to that flog Whately on SEN....I tune in when Andy M comes on, passionate Blues supporter like the rest of us, good man.

Yes he would be for starters, but internally we’ve invested in him. When you make an investment why trade out and lose on it before it’s reached its potential. Absolutely ludicrous.

This is pretty much the definition of the Sunk Cost Fallacy

Not one club would offer a top 5 pick for SPS.

I am not saying to do it, but if I was offered a top 5 pick for SPS in this draft, I would do it

In fairness, also Samo has only been playing football since 12.. i'm sure a lot of guys have essentially been playing all there lives.
Mason Cox says stop making excuses.

Its not the end of the world that a few posters think our team would be better off if we could turn SPS (and some 2nds or mature agers) into Shiel, Setterfield and McGovern without losing pick 1. But at the end of the day, Adelaide wouldn't take SPS and McAdam for McGovern and pick 7 because they wouldn't rate SPS as elite.

This is pretty much the definition of the Sunk Cost Fallacy

Not one club would offer a top 5 pick for SPS.

I am not saying to do it, but if I was offered a top 5 pick for SPS in this draft, I would do it
So you could develop another promising player so in 42 games time you might get a top 5 pick for them too? Ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back