Bluemour Discussion Thread XIV - Facts Not Welcome

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pick 1 shenanigans only make sense if SOS rates someone more highly than Walsh, but even then, I'm struggling to see the incentive for other clubs to 'help' us with getting 'our guy plus extras', when they can otherwise let us pick 'our guy' at 1, and deal among themselves for picks 2-8 or whatever.

Conceivably, I suppose, SOS may not be able to separate, say, Walsh and Smith, and thus 'Smith and extras' is obviously a more desirable outcome than Walsh alone.

The permutations are all getting a little tricky for me, though - would appreciate someone explaining how this might work!

I'll think about it and get back to you, just gotta sort out the meaning of life first.

Pick 1 shenanigans only make sense if SOS rates someone more highly than Walsh, but even then, I'm struggling to see the incentive for other clubs to 'help' us with getting 'our guy plus extras', when they can otherwise let us pick 'our guy' at 1, and deal among themselves for picks 2-8 or whatever.

Conceivably, I suppose, SOS may not be able to separate, say, Walsh and Smith, and thus 'Smith and extras' is obviously a more desirable outcome than Walsh alone.

The permutations are all getting a little tricky for me, though - would appreciate someone explaining how this might work!
You've explained it very well already - the only reason to give up pick#1 for #2 or #3 is you are ambivalent about the outcome and are getting a free hit on the extras...

No exactly true... He still really wants Walsh and is only fielding offers from clubs who he thinks are unlikely to take Walsh ahead of us (because they want someone else).

I.e. Adelaide & Port wanting Lukosius

It won't work for us to get Walsh.
You're right, it would only work if we were happy with Smith (or say Rozee?), and then we'd be trading #1 for #3 +, not for #2 +

But Crows won't take Walsh. They want Lukosius.
So there needs to be a big incentive for Gold Coast to trade out #2, and then what's the incentive for Crows to give extra for #1?

The incentive for Adelaide might be that the McGovern deal went down how they wanted with no dirty laundry aired.

The incentive for Adelaide might be that young Jack has told more than 1 club near the top not to draft him, and those clubs can overlook that if they work with us.

The incentive for Gold Coast might be the fact they are rebuilding a squad. The rumour was multiple Top 20 picks. Maybe they rate that above 1 home sick South Australian?

The McGovern deal did go down very quickly for a Silvagni deal, so who knows what the club might have planned....

The fact that Adelaide or Port could one up each other here means I'll rule out nothing..

Bit then as others have already mentioned there are reasons why no club will do this, not to mention EP saying we won't be that active.

Plenty to play out.

No exactly true... He still really wants Walsh and is only fielding offers from clubs who he thinks are unlikely to take Walsh ahead of us (because they want someone else).

That still equates to making a three-way trade with Gold Coast.

I don't see it.

Adelaide/Port will take out the middle man (Carlton) by taking on pick 2 or 3 from Gold Coast.

If Carlton deal directly with Adelaide/Port then Gold Coast have zero incentive to trade pick 2 as they get the man they want there.

Not only would we have to satisfy Adelaide/Port but also GC. Not likely to happen without getting hammered.

I don't get freo, especially after I just spent 5 years on that side of town
Finally get a key forward that wants to come to them and they won't pay
Unbelievable
Still more to go but I feel for me Freo friends back in wa
It's been bitter between Melb and Freo.

Melb have been playing the negotiation through the media and Freo have said get ****ed

Don't mind it from Freo. Get Bennell off the list and work their trades.

The incentive for Adelaide might be that the McGovern deal went done how they wanted with no dirty laundry aired.

The incentive for Adelaide might be that young Jack has told more than 1 club near the top not to draft him, and those clubs can overlook that if they work with us.

The incentive for Gold Coast might be the fact they are rebuilding a squad. The rumour was multiple Top 20 picks. Maybe they rate that above 1 home sick South Australian?

You misunderstand.
There is absolutely incentive for Crows and Gold Coast to trade around #2, but not for the Crows to then trade up for #1

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Future First rounder for Martin & May

r39_0_1181_619_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Smart move By Silvagni, if Walsh is our man anything extra is well gained.
Nobody really cares if our selection is, 1, 2 or 3, he’ll need at least 2 years conditioning and development before contributing regularly.

Now this would be smart from SOS. You know Adelaide will pick Lukosius or Rankine, we still get Walsh + goodies.

Something like this?
carl - 2, Martin or picks or someone else. pick 16 or 19 perhaps?
adel - 1
gcs - 8, 13

Crows get pick 1 and draft Lukosius and lose 8 and 13. Suns lose 2 but gain 8 and 13. Carlton get 2 to use on Walsh and something like Martin or picks or what ever in return.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back