Bluemour Discussion Thread XIV - Facts Not Welcome

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would love to know the full reasoning for why we decided to skip over Scrimshaw coming in on a dime. It seems the Hawks are going to improve their 22 almost as much as we will, for about half the price.

Any egotism on the part of the kid not knocked right out of him over the last 18 months would have just been obliterated when he saw how little clubs wanted to part with to get him.
I for one am glad we dont do the deck chair shuffling this year. Hawthorn can do what they like. We all know what they really wanted was McGovern and Shiel.

I find it staggering if we aren't all over GWS and Shiel here with a better offer than anything Essendon is putting up at the moment.
Right now as it stands I'd be going to Port with 1 for 6 and 10 and offering GWS 10 and next years first ( a top 5 pick guaranteed) for Shiel.
we are a fair chance at Bailey Smith at 6.
if I'm GWS i am not letting Shiel go for 9 and a future 3rd it's robbery. Better off with the free agency compo next year.

Didn't realise player contracts were public knowledge. :think:

They aren’t, but these numbers are what several media outlets are reporting, it doesn’t mean they are accurate but I would assume they are close.

The Giants wouldn’t be shipping off good contracted players unless there was some serious TPP issues, which would be caused by excessively overpaying players.

Would love to know the full reasoning for why we decided to skip over Scrimshaw coming in on a dime. It seems the Hawks are going to improve their 22 almost as much as we will, for about half the price.

Any egotism on the part of the kid not knocked right out of him over the last 18 months would have just been obliterated when he saw how little clubs wanted to part with to get him.

Have heard and read that as well as the ego, laziness is the main problem. Lazy toward his training/preperation, lazy in his personal life etc. Laziness is a hard attribute to kick. 99/100 it is deadly for an elite athlete.

Last edited:
Essendon will contend for a flag for the next 3 seasons at least, that on top of an upgrade in salary and the superior facilities they have was enough to make it a decision between Hawthorn and Essendon.

I can see them being a challenger but I'm not fully convinced. I still think when the going gets tough, Essendon aren't tough enough. Shiel goes some way to amend this but I think they have some ways to improve. They remind me a bit of us in 2010/2011. Fast and skillful but not tough.

I thought our facilities were supposed to be good. Not sure where this story has come from. I'm not convinced that Shiel didn't agree to multiple clubs and we weren't one they way the talk is.

My gut feel is Shiel nominated a few, GWS nominated Essendon and GWS will get Essendon's first and future first.

Rumors were very strong that he had nominated us, rumors are we are pissed with them, rumors and even a media report that we could get involved still suggest this.

Just all makes sense to me. Still think he gets to Essendon but who knows. Lot of josteling by the look of it.

I find it staggering if we aren't all over GWS and Shiel here with a better offer than anything Essendon is putting up at the moment.
Right now as it stands I'd be going to Port with 1 for 6 and 10 and offering GWS 10 and next years first ( a top 5 pick guaranteed) for Shiel.
we are a fair chance at Bailey Smith at 6.
if I'm GWS i am not letting Shiel go for 9 and a future 3rd it's robbery. Better off with the free agency compo next year.
From all accounts we had a better offer in the first place, which was overlooked.

Okay, so the smaller deals have gone through, maybe a couple more, will start to get interesting from this point

I hope we get Newman as a DFA and SOS picks up 1 or 2 good 25 year old types that we haven't even mentioned.

A deal for next years first round that really benefits us now and next year would be good as well.

Every year is different and you don't bypass elite talent for a chance at two.
We can pull up examples for either situation for proof, but there really is no proof.

Generally speaking, clubs hang onto their premium pick to get the player they've fallen in love with.

Two points I want to reply to there, there are more than one elite talent in each draft, there are generally several, so I don’t see any move as bypassing elite talent.

Falling in love with a player s the other, I’m sure it happens but it would have to be the worst way to go about things. Until these kids are drafted then they should be viewed as nothing more than an asset to improve our team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've heard Essendon supporters boo the umpires, their own players and even injured players coming off the ground but I'm not sure any of them would come close to the boos Dylan Shiel would get if he ended up in navy blue.

Scenario

Next years first and Cas
For 3 from the GCS

3 to Adelaide or port for 2 firsts

Offer 2 firsts for Shiel AND our future second rounder back ?

Walk away like bandits and climb the ladder!
I don't think they'd give us pick 300 for Casboult let alone pick 3!

* is far more subversive and annoying to their supporters.

It taints them forevermore the drug cheats they were.

Their supporters will hate being referred to as *, that is why I use it.
I thought it was because there is an * next to 2 of their premierships as no grand final was played in those particular years. Happy to be corrected.

Don't put any of your energy into Shiel people.

Will be a bomber by the end of tomorrow.

Would be awesome if it fell through and we swooped in... but its not going to happen.
GWS have to trade Shiel due to their salary cap and Essendon knows this. This is why they're only offering a first rounder this year and steak knives. Shiel can refuse to be traded elsewhere. Essendon hold all the aces.

Disagree!

GCS would know about Scrimshaw and they would know he is shit... hence the trade
GWS would know the state of Scully's ankle and hence why they want to offload him. They might get a couple of games out of him in a few years time before he retire. Andrew Russell that might have saved him before, is no longer there.
Wingard for me is not only overrated, they will be giving up a player who I think is better plus Pick 15. Trading Burton will come back to haunt them.

They overperformed last year and have a team full of old players. They will fall off the cliff quickly.

No GWS have to trade Shiel due to their salary cap and Essendon knows this. This is why they're only offering a first rounder this year and steak knives. Shiel can refuse to be traded elsewhere. Essendon hold all the aces.

No they don't, he is still contracted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back