Bluemour Discussion Thread XIV - Facts Not Welcome

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering our lack of trade currency, we really need to be active with the DFAs to find some mature midfield assistance.

I guess we have to wait until November then..

Thursday, 1 November: AFL delisted player free agency period (1) starts
Thursday, 8 November: AFL delisted player free agency period (1) closes
Saturday, 10 November: AFL delisted player free agency period (2) starts
Friday, 16 November 5pm: AFL delisted player free agency period (2) closes
Friday, 23 November 1.30pm – 2.30pm: AFL delisted player free agency period (3)

Ok. Let’s be clear. I don’t know all the ins and outs of who recruiters are talking to. I hear things, and I share. I’m like a Big Footy Tyrion who drinks and knows things

Some things for people to bear in mind - Wingard and Scrimshaw - I’m not sure we’d want them at our club. Not optimal blokes

Scully - interesting but mega risky from an injury standpoint. Good player

Tyson - not the type of midfielder you’d add to a Cripps / Kennedy midfield

But here is the single biggest thing and people need to be realistic about this - we do not have much to trade. We won’t deal pick one. We’ve dealt our seconds. We have 42 now - big deal. We’d rather not trade our first next year. We will need our second next year (at least) for Setterfield. Our tradeable players have no trade currency. Stop believing all the bullshit about that. Nobody wants Casboult. Nobody wants Jones. Nobody is giving us anything decent for them. If anything at all. So how are we getting all these other players? I’ll tell you how - we’re not

Absolute truth bomb.

Can't help but feel we missed out by not landing Tyson - seemed like a good solid fit, without having to move heaven and earth for in a trade.

Looking likely we only add setterfield to our midfield, which means failing to get mature support for Cripps.

Meanwhile north got Tyson and hawks may get scully...

Ok. Let’s be clear. I don’t know all the ins and outs of who recruiters are talking to. I hear things, and I share. I’m like a Big Footy Tyrion who drinks and knows things

Some things for people to bear in mind - Wingard and Scrimshaw - I’m not sure we’d want them at our club. Not optimal blokes

But here is the single biggest thing and people need to be realistic about this - we do not have much to trade. We won’t deal pick one. We’ve dealt our seconds. We have 42 now - big deal. We’d rather not trade our first next year. We will need our second next year (at least) for Setterfield. Our tradeable players have no trade currency. Stop believing all the bullshit about that. Nobody wants Casboult. Nobody wants Jones. Nobody is giving us anything decent for them. If anything at all. So how are we getting all these other players? I’ll tell you how - we’re not

In contrast I am Bigfooty's Jon Snow, I know absolutely sweet FA

We still have next seasons first rounder as trade currency. That's still a big carrot. This trade period not over but it is true the more likely mature mids might have to come via de-listed free agents which less than ideal but make most of it when we see what is there.
No we don't. If we trade our future 2nd then can't trade future 1st

Thanks for the insight and clarity EP it's sober and much appreciated, all the tension and hysteria has been wow
At the end trade period in, Setterfield, McGovern & Fasolo whilst retaining 2918/19 1st rounders is a great result , Walsh and Rowell next year settle midfield reset for a decade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Get Setterfield fit and watch out. Absolute Gun

Gut feel is Finlayson may be part of package

I've made no secret of the fact that I'd like Finlayson, he's a good age, can play and GWS have already put the development work into him.

However, at 196cms, he is the kind of profile we don't really need. I already believe we have too many players over 195cms on our list.

I like both Jones and Rowe (after all they are Carlton players) but I think Finlayson in means one or, preferably, both would need to make way for him. I've not been in favour of trading Jones before this but would be more than happy for this to happen with Finlayson in, I've always thought we should encourage Rowe into AFL retirement and sign him for Northern Blues duty only.

Don't think we should be getting rid of a Kerridge or Lamb unless we replace with similar size players and probably regardless of age.

Tyson is slow

True. Not much out there it seems.

All have faults...tyson slow, Libba injury and off field, Barlow old, wingard flog etc.

In thst case although I wanted a mature mid maybe we wait for the right candidate next year (dam you Shiel!).

Hopefully Kennedy and Lang step up...theyre old enough now.

Ok guys that does it for me. EP Cheers. So now we need to talk about who we get for pick 42. Clearly 1 is for WALSH as EP said.

No we don't. If we trade our future 2nd then can't trade future 1st
We have not traded our future 2nd, hence the future 1st rounder is still very much trade currency right now. A big one too. We could still trade both too. Just needs finding another late 2nd rounder in another trade in between trading the other two, or before them.. The order of trading is important to get right. Hence the Setterfield deal is no rush until we got all our ducks lined up in right order to pull trigger.

Sps fisher setterfield that’s a good draft for us
We've had a couple of good years, some retroactively corrected through trading.

2011: Docherty 12
2012 Plowman 3, McGovern (was drafted pick 43 mature in '14, this is his age bracket)
2013: Cripps 13, Lang 16
2014: Pickett 4, Marchbank 6, Garlett 15
2015: Weitering 1, McKay 10, Curnow 12, Kennedy 13, Cuningham 23, Silvagni 53
2016: Setterfield 5, Petrevski-Seton 6, Fisher 27, Macreadie 47, Polson 59, Williamson 61, Kerr 65
2017: Dow 3, O'Brien 10, De Koning 30, Schumacher 70
2018: Walsh 1?...

I guess you could talk about adding Simmo, Kreuz, Murph, Ed, Daisy, Jones, Fasolo, Lobbe but I'm keeping this to our list within a list.

We have not traded our future 2nd, hence the future 1st rounder is still very much trade currency right now. A big one too. We could still trade both too. Just needs finding another late 2nd rounder in another trade in between trading the other two, or before them.. The order of trading is important to get right. Hence the Setterfield deal is no rush until we got all our ducks lined up in right order to pull trigger.

Plus you can apply for dispensation from the rule

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back