Bluemour Discussion Thread XVI - Facts Not Welcome

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
ffs......

images

Jack Martin?

If we are recruiting him as a HFF, he can be classy with ball in hand but prone to hacking the ball forward. Runs at 60% efficiency. He is also an unreliable kick for goal.

If we are recruiting him as a midfielder, he doesn't win enough of the ball in that role to be damaging.

His tackling numbers and technique are top notch, though. He has an appetite for the contest, just has a reasonably light frame.

Overall, he is not worth Adelaide's pick.

Tom Papley? Now he's a very good football player.

Jack Martin?

If we are recruiting him as a HFF, he can be classy with ball in hand but prone to hacking the ball forward. Runs at 60% efficiency. He is also an unreliable kick for goal.

If we are recruiting him as a midfielder, he doesn't win enough of the ball in that role to be damaging.

His tackling numbers and technique are top notch, though. He has an appetite for the contest, just has a reasonably light frame.

Ýeah nah … we aint gunna get him … no WAY the Swannies let him go …. would be 2 first rounders if his form holds true.

Ýeah nah … we aint gunna get him … no WAY the Swannies let him go …. would be 2 first rounders if his form holds true.

Lol. Papley is not worth two first rounders.

Lol. Papley is not worth two first rounders.

Contract Status: Out of contract at the end of 2020

Lets see you pry that out for less than that …..

Jack Martin?

This year sure. Having an off year. Plenty of players have off years, even the good ones. 79 goals, 49 behinds for his career. Hardly unreliable. 60% efficiency this year, sure, 71% for his career. Plus 4 clearances a game this year, 6 tackles a game this year, including 4 tackles inside 50 which is what we are looking for, forward 50 pressure. Averages 4 score involvements a game for his career. Hardly having a terrible year. Its not as bad as some are making out. I think he is being undersold personally. Jack Martin would be a good get for us. especially if he's interested as rumoured.

Jack Martin?

There's others i'd prefer like Papley, but i certainly wouldn't say no.

We have to be realistic about where we're at and that a lot of clubs would be chasing guys like Conigs/Papley.
If we miss out on those top targets (quite likely) but Martin agrees to join us, i'll still be over the moon with our trade period.

We've seen improvements from a number of GC players who've moved to other teams...definite possibility Martin elevates his game with us, especially if we keep this more attacking style and our team improves as we expect. Admittedly he hasn't shown it yet in his career to date, but i reckon his ceiling is Michael Walters-like performances, which would be amazing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Weren’t we heavy in to Martin last year and then he wanted to go to the Bombers?

Yeah i remember that being reported.

IIRC he was prepared to go to Essendon, but GC blocked the move since they were already losing Lynch & May.
But Essendon landed Shiel and don't have a 1st rounder this year, doubt they'll be in the picture anymore.

While i don't love the fact he was happy to go to Essendon, it does prove he'll happily come to VIC even though he's from WA and we were in the mix last year...sounds like SOS has kept that lead going.

Pl
Please no more young players,we have a plethora.

Yeah not interested in Cerra, another young mid with potential but not current output.

We already have the likes of Walsh, Stocker, Dow, LOB & Setterfield as young midfielders we'll want to get improvement from...can also still add Fisher, SPS, Cuningham & Kennedy.

If we are to get another mid, it needs to be a proven gun already dominating AFL, like Coniglio or Taranto. Not Cerra and Bonar.

Yeah not interested in Cerra, another young mid with potential but not current output.

We already have the likes of Walsh, Stocker, Dow, LOB & Setterfield as young midfielders we'll want to get improvement from...can also still add Fisher, SPS, Cuningham & Kennedy.

If we are to get another mid, it needs to be a proven gun already dominating AFL, like Coniglio or Taranto. Not Cerra and Bonar.

Im not even convinced the mid/s we bring in need to be a proven gun. We need a guy or two who can simply play support roles for Cripps, win some ball, win some clearances, someone who uses the ball generally well and can lay some god damn tackles. A mid or two in the right age bracket. Someone like a Luke Dunstan/ Hugh Greenwood/ Cam Ellis-Yolman etc.

I agree that we will be forced to pay through the nose for Papley because:

1. He is in contract for one more year, coupled with his age/profile.

2. We will no doubt be offering him a better deal financially than Sydney to entice him to our club over others in Melbourne (unless we can play on the Agresta/Newman/Alex Johnson connection).

3. The swans will sniff a desperate buyer and will use that as leverage.

That being said; I don’t think it will cost us two first rounders. Adelaides pick and perhaps some future change should cut it.

I agree that we will be forced to pay through the nose for Papley because:

1. He is in contract for one more year, coupled with his age/profile.

2. We will no doubt be offering him a better deal financially than Sydney to entice him to our club over others in Melbourne (unless we can play on the Agresta/Newman/Alex Johnson connection).

3. The swans will sniff a desperate buyer and will use that as leverage.

That being said; I don’t think it will cost us two first rounders. Adelaides pick and perhaps some future change should cut it.

Yes the Swans are very reasonable at the trade table and would not ask for two first rounders for a player who did not want to stay up there. They will want a relatively fair price and move on. It all comes down to whether Papley wants to leave or not. It seems likely he has shown enough interest to other clubs because the media keeps talking about him despite him being contracted. So he seems very open minded on leaving but could easily change his mind come September/October. I have no doubt we are targeting him as he’s clearly a need and we have cash to burn.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Im not even convinced the mid/s we bring in need to be a proven gun. We need a guy or two who can simply play support roles for Cripps, win some ball, win some clearances, someone who uses the ball generally well and can lay some god damn tackles. A mid or two in the right age bracket. Someone like a Luke Dunstan/ Hugh Greenwood/ Cam Ellis-Yolman etc.
Mitch Duncan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back