Bluemour Discussion Thread XVIII - Please Sir, Can We Have More?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could never see the appeal with Constable. Sure he can get it 25 times a game playing on ball, so can Nick Graham/gibbons/jsos/Kennedy. Can’t play a full midfield of slow accumulator mids

Constable is so far ahead of those you mentioned and would rival Walsh for possessions per minute, while using it better

I agree about the one paced midfield, but if the likes of Cuners, Fisher, LOB etc and or other acquisitions are up and running Constable's Cripps like pace wouldn't be an issue

Daniher will get to Syd and Papley will get to us

We may have to hand in our 2019 and 2020 firsts with 2 seconds and Cameron in return

I don't know what everyone else thinks, but I'm more than ok with 2 firsts for Papley, Cameron and 2 seconds. We certainly don't make out like bandits, but it's a good outcome considering.

I appreciate your views GB, but i couldn’t agree less with them.

I think its a blight on the game playing to draw free kicks and i take particular exception to this one that Selwood, Christensen and Mathers are renowned for.

IMO free kicks are there if a player has genuinely been infringed upon.

What Selwood does is change a legitimate tackle that is below shoulders by forcing the opponents arms over his shoulders, therefore Selwood being the one that initiates the high contact - its play on for me (or a free against Selwood for him being the one that initiates it).

Just my 2 cents.

You grab a bloke around the head then that's on you, regardless of whether they have done anything to draw it.

It's not a blight on the game, it's just one player exploiting the weakness of other players which is what good football is all about. Plenty of players tackle Selwood correctly, it's the ones who don't that stand out because they give away the free.

Tackling is a skill of the game, it's not supposed to be easy and tackling the good players is not supposed to be easy. The good players are supposed to be hard to play against.

Selwood and others aren't cheating. They are very good positioners with exceptional smarts and physical strength. All they are doing is taking advantage of bad tackling which IMO is bad football. Blokes who have a poor tackling technique and tackle a little high to begin with instead of tackling lower and bringing the opponent down.

Good on them for being able to do what they do. Puts the challenge towards the opposition to tackle better and be better and for other players to get to their level in regards to this ability and IMO this is what elite sport is all about. Pushing the boundaries and being challenging at the highest possible level.

Nah, I reckon if you play for free kicks it's dodgey, and should not be encouraged. Sure try and break the tackle, but the moment you deliberately duck or bend your knees at the point of contact, you've caused the free and shouldn't be rewarded.
Just need to look at the response of the players around the guy who gets the "cheapy" to know they are cheating the rules.
Duckwood and Mathieson have not enhanced their reputation as footballers by employing these strategies.
Murphy most times is trying to get free of the tackler, rather than draw a free kick, but it should be play on or holding the ball if it goes wrong.

This is not taking dives and flopping, this is completely different. That is cheating and has no base on skill or ability. That is something I hate seeing in the game. This is about players who are elite at what they do being ultimately difficult to play against. It's not playing for free kicks, it's taking advantage of bad football (bad tackling).

You're blaming the player getting the free for doing an action which gets them a free. I think far greater blame must go towards the tackler. In the end it's them giving a free away they wouldn't have if they tackled better and with more superior technique. I think most just thing most, if not all the frees plays get from shrugging tackles you could say the tackler could have done that better.

I don't think it's good for the game to reward players with technical flaws and lesser abilities at the expense of players who have elite ability and technique.

Someone like Selwood for instance has elite technique and strength. You have players who have inferior technique and strength infringing because they aren't as good at tackling as Selwood is at shrugging. Quite simply you have a better player beating and exploiting lesser players or player weakness.

I say get better at tackling, go up a level or Selwood and guys like him are going to beat you.

Dropping at the knees, yes that's different but the game is full of players using their strengths and techniques to draw free kicks. Forward who position well and out body to make it more likely they are pushed, chopped or held. Mids who position and use their strengths to put pressure on their opponent and force a hold or illegal tactic. Most free kicks come about from players making mistakes or being done for ability, no different here.

End of the day there is a difference between drawing a free which takes skill, ability, toughness and smarts to put pressure on the opposition to make them do the wrong thing and staging for free kicks which this is not.

IMO we miss out on a heap of free kicks each game because we don't put our head over the ball and take contact enough and because our players don't have the physical strength to bring these little slips and holds. Murphy is good at it because he's strong and willing to put the head over the footy and draw contact but also because he's experienced and clever. Our young players need to add this to their game. Make the opposition worried and then have the menouvers and physical strength the put them in a position where they are giving more frees away.

I put this lack of ability in our team as high priority. We don't get enough free kicks. It's not AFL or umpiring bias. It's to do with the deficiencies in the game of our young players across the board and it's something we need to work on to take the next step.

Good technique, good courage, good athleticism and knowing how to use it and having good game craft will get you more free kicks and also make you a good player.

I think it's funny how the opposition know how hard it is to tackle someone like Selwood and know if you don't tackle properly he will beat you yet they still do it. The challenge is there to do it better. Good on him if he exploits bad tackles and rewards himself with the odd free kick. Good technique, strength and it's good smarts. It's actually good craft and good football.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's being reported that Dan Butler met with us today.

SEN reporting that Dan Butler met with Carlton yesterday.

3v6wd.gif

For me, the reasoning behind acquiring Darcy Cameron stems from the fact that we know what we have in Phillips.

If you replace Phillips with Cameron you most likely have the same thing, a VFL ruckman who can play 1's when Kreuzer is injured whilst TDK is still developing.

But there's also a sneaky chance that he could become more than that. For what is likely a free hit, I'd welcome it.

All that and four years younger than Flip.

Seems the perfect age to bridge between Krooz and TDK....

We may have to hand in our 2019 and 2020 firsts with 2 seconds and Cameron in return

Happy to do it.

Earliest second rounder gets us Martin.

Adelaide's third on Cutler.

One of Betts/Gray/Cutler for a late pick swap.

Take a third rounder to the draft, plus Manton and a mature-ager with late picks.

Papley, Martin, Cutler, Cameron, (Betts/Gray/Butler).

Head into 2020 without a first rounder, but with two seconds (ours plus Sydney's). Can see Sydney being bottom 6 next year, and we should crack the 8. Gives us a draft hand of 24, 30, 48, 66 which is perfectly fine.

I’m hoping Papley improves a lot if he gets onto the list, because I don’t see a huge discrepancy between ours and Sydney’s finishing position next year, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see them finishing ahead. Cameron is genuine steak knives too.

Would prefer Martin for a future 1st with a Gold Coast second second back, and Butler for a token pick.

SEN reporting that Dan Butler met with Carlton yesterday.
Don't mind this. Like the Cameron free hit, will cost little and is in a position of need.

Happy with that. 2 x 2nds will be enough to work with the Suns on a Martin deal - possibly with a third coming back our way.

Happy to do it.

Earliest second rounder gets us Martin.

Adelaide's third on Cutler.

One of Betts/Gray/Cutler for a late pick swap.

Take a third rounder to the draft, plus Manton and a mature-ager with late picks.

Papley, Martin, Cutler, Cameron, (Betts/Gray/Butler).

Head into 2020 without a first rounder, but with two seconds (ours plus Sydney's). Can see Sydney being bottom 6 next year, and we should crack the 8. Gives us a draft hand of 24, 30, 48, 66 which is perfectly fine.
Cutler is an URFA, BB so will come for nothing. Like the rest but gotta feel we'll only recruit 2 of Papley, Betts, Butler (that's my order of preference as is likely for most).

Although with the amount of cuts we've had, we could probably afford them all given Cameron, Butler, Eddie and Cutler will cost nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back