Bluemour Discussion Thread XVIII - Please Sir, Can We Have More?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just on Coniglio, it looks like he’s still a good chance of playing the Giants’ elimination final which will probably be against the Bulldogs (otherwise the Bombers). So you would think if he doesn’t sign with them in the next two weeks he will leave. No news is good news.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't think you can fight city hall. You can blindsight them (see Buddy to Swans) but once they are onto it they get what they want. We aren't gonna get Coniglio when they have made it abundantly clear they don't want him leaving and don't wouldnt want GWS turning into another basket case like Gold Coast. Would clearly love to have him but unfortunately the AFL gets what the AFL wants.

Just on McKay, super talent, but any chance of him learning a pre goal routine?

He’s all over the shop on set goals.

Ive watched him closely pre game and he spends a lot of time snapping goals and kicking dribblers. I’ve put that down to pre game nerves, but I’m thinking it’s a bit of a problem that could be sorted fairly quickly

I don't think you can fight city hall. You can blindsight them (see Buddy to Swans) but once they are onto it they get what they want. We aren't gonna get Coniglio when they have made it abundantly clear they don't want him leaving and don't wouldnt want GWS turning into another basket case like Gold Coast. Would clearly love to have him but unfortunately the AFL gets what the AFL wants.

And i think the AFL believe he was hawthorn bound.
Kennett is at war with the AFL over Tasmania amongst other things.
Not a war you can win ...

Don't get sucked in by the Hawks. That's 2 finals misses in the last 3 years with extreme reliance on veterans.
Grabbing Coniglio could easily elevate them back to top 4-6 contention .
Their a destination club for the better players as the oldies filter out they will be replaced by quality from other clubs they've been doing it for years .
For all the talent we have we've achieved nothing and aren't a patch on the well drilled and coached Hawthorn for team discipline and hardness .
If I'm Coniglio and leaving GWS with a choice between Carlton and Hawthorn its Hawthorn easily .
The wins in the second half have been great but the West Coast Richmond and Geelong games show we are still miles off it yet .

Don't get sucked in by the Hawks. That's 2 finals misses in the last 3 years with extreme reliance on veterans.

It is not a reliance on veterans. Clarkson creates a playing style that is extremely difficult to play against. If they got Coniglio their midfield would be him, Mitchell, Worpel and O'Meara, with Wingard spending time in there. Close to the best in the business and they aren't veterans.

Let's not fall into the trap of last season and think a player is destined to come to us. I'd be happy if it happens but not expecting it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Grabbing Coniglio could easily elevate them back to top 4-6 contention .
Their a destination club for the better players as the oldies filter out they will be replaced by quality from other clubs they've been doing it for years .
For all the talent we have we've achieved nothing and aren't a patch on the well drilled and coached Hawthorn for team discipline and hardness .
If I'm Coniglio and leaving GWS with a choice between Carlton and Hawthorn its Hawthorn easily .
The wins in the second half have been great but the West Coast Richmond and Geelong games show we are still miles off it yet .
I think the term “destination club” is a bit of media hype. We were not miles off in the West Coast (4 goals) and Richmond (28 points) games. We also aren’t the only side to lose by a large margin at Geelong (blown away early but better second half). We are however, a lot better side moving from 2 wins with a percentage of 59% in 2018 to 7 wins and 84% this year. Regardless of whether Cogs nominates us, we are moving in the right direction for success.

I think the term “destination club” is a bit of media hype. We were not miles off in the West Coast (4 goals) and Richmond (28 points) games. We also aren’t the only side to lose by a large margin at Geelong (blown away early but better second half). We are however, a lot better side moving from 2 wins with a percentage of 59% in 2018 to 7 wins and 84% this year. Regardless of whether Cogs nominates us, we are moving in the right direction for success.
I think we were flattered by the margin in both the WC and Richmond games never anywhere near threatening in those games the gulf was wide between the sides despite the flattering scoreline .
But yes you make good points we are much better placed now with a competent match day coach guiding the players and moving in the right direction .

It is not a reliance on veterans. Clarkson creates a playing style that is extremely difficult to play against. If they got Coniglio their midfield would be him, Mitchell, Worpel and O'Meara, with Wingard spending time in there. Close to the best in the business and they aren't veterans.

Let's not fall into the trap of last season and think a player is destined to come to us. I'd be happy if it happens but not expecting it.

They might be stacked in the midfield but will be weak at either end of the ground. Patton, even if he returns, will be severely restricted in his movement (guy refuses to trim down, costing him a career).

Don't see how they contain our forward threats for the next 10 years. Nor do I see how their tall forwards trouble Weitering and co.

It comes down to a battle of game plans, Teague needs to find a way of not falling into Clarkson's traps.

Just on McKay, super talent, but any chance of him learning a pre goal routine?

He’s all over the shop on set goals.

Ive watched him closely pre game and he spends a lot of time snapping goals and kicking dribblers. I’ve put that down to pre game nerves, but I’m thinking it’s a bit of a problem that could be sorted fairly quickly
Nothing a good sports pych and summer goal kicking camp won't fix. His future is gonna be dazzling.

One thing I do trust from ITK's is that he ain't going to the Hawks. It is us or stay at that miserable middle of nowhere club.
I can really see how good Rabbit looks in navy blue and how well he would fit.
We will be ok either way though. Don't doubt it.
Blue skies ahead.

One thing I do trust from ITK's is that he ain't going to the Hawks. It is us or stay at that miserable middle of nowhere club.
I can really see how good Rabbit looks in navy blue and how well he would fit.
We will be ok either way though. Don't doubt it.
Blue skies ahead.

You just need to look at the smoothness Shiel offers Essendon when he has the ball and that’s what Coniglio will bring to us. Walsh will also be similar in terms of being able to create space through traffic. We haven’t had someone like that since Judd. Cripps is a different calibre.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back