Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Another missed point in the Dan Houston talk is our up and coming half back options. Wilson, Cowan etc we all know... But anyone else still think about how good Elijah looked behind the ball the couple occasions he played there late in the season? I think he'd really thrive in that role if we had some alternative options up forward to take his place as that link in the chain.

Kicking is close to elite already and loves to bite off a corridor target, strong mark and his natural footy IQ allows him to read the play well.

I see him as a natural Nic Newman replacement if we can find some options up forward and his progression to the midfield doesn't eventuate.
He’s too slow to be a full time midfielder or defender.. Also lacks pressure and hardly chases. He’s a smart footballer who can find the space around the ground…

Ollie on the other hand would be a good option down back…

Pretty happy to miss on Houston, suits Pies more than he suits us

Boyd could very well be the next gun HBF for us, so could Ollie Hollands, Cowan, Binns etc.

If we can get 2x picks in the top 15 and bring in the two Campo’s with a good pre season into our young forwards in Lemmey, Moir, Motlop, Durdin then we’ve had a good off season

Plus we may get a DFA as a bargain pickup

I’m comfortable with how things have been handled so far

As always, like most club, our list changes will be in that 7-9 range

And no matter who we bring in, experience or youth, most of the improvement comes from within
Improvement from the High Performance Team could be the difference - just that alone.

Two HUGE additions to our organisation - Mr Right & Mr Fitness.

After sleeping on it,

I think quite a few of us (myself included) are falling into the trap of wanting said good player to come to us.

but not all elite players are equal, I’d now argue that if we brought in a small forward + key backman or speedy mid through the draft who are even 65-70% the player Houston in, then we as a club would be far better off.

I was also of the argument that we needed gun experienced players for our premiership hopes, but honestly, how much does Houston actually move the needle for us specifically?

That’s also not even mentioning the obvious needing more young guns in the club before Tassie is introduced.

Do your thing Austin, let’s get as many high end picks as we can!

win the ball, use it well - the basics are easy.

Our ball use has been an issue for a long time, ditto our playing not leading into space (and helping each other to create space).
Are you suggesting all of our forwards flying for the same ball hasn’t been working…..🤣

Pretty happy to miss on Houston, suits Pies more than he suits us

Boyd could very well be the next gun HBF for us, so could Ollie Hollands, Cowan, Binns etc.

If we can get 2x picks in the top 15 and bring in the two Campo’s with a good pre season into our young forwards in Lemmey, Moir, Motlop, Durdin then we’ve had a good off season

Plus we may get a DFA as a bargain pickup

I’m comfortable with how things have been handled so far
I just hope we can still move our F1 into a top 15 pick or so in this draft. Just might be more difficult as it seems a lot of clubs want to do the same thing

Coona Blues laughing at people's sincere posts shows a lack of repect for a different pov. Does not foster goodwill amongst posters. You can disagree but for mine laughing used in that way is devisive and a form of trolling..
Laughing at funny or ironic posts is different.

The post I'm referring to is where I expressed disappointment that DQ said our only priority will be draft picks. Your view on this is abundantly clear and no need to belittle other pov's.
(imho)
Cheers.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

wouldn't mind Robertson or Sharp from the Lions on the cheap? they are looking at clearing some list spots. My son has done a few one on one training sessions with Sharp. he's a jet, great kid, bit of pace there and would fit in nicely.

There seems to be a weird Money-Ball vibe with the Owies situation.

A top 3 small forward for kicking goals this season.

60 goals in two seasons - yet nobody sees his value.

He doesn’t fit the small forward archetype somehow.
I'm an Owies fan but.

A bit out of left field as you would not perceive them as similar players but is the belief that Moir will play the role that Owies played this year?

I'm an Owies fan but.

A bit out of left field as you would not perceive them as similar players but is the belief that Moir will play the role that Owies played this year?
I hope Moir brings that & more of course.

Surely Owies is great depth if nothing else?

Moir is really an unknown, his moments taken looked great, but it’s a small sample & reports are his fitness needs building to handle a full game, let alone a full season.

If his body can’t withstand 27 games next year - I know somebody who can…

As always, like most club, our list changes will be in that 7-9 range

And no matter who we bring in, experience or youth, most of the improvement comes from within
Correct
Happy for someone to go through every premiership team in the last 10-20-30 years and tell me which player who came to the club in that premiership year was the difference between that club winning the flag and not winning the flag

wouldn't mind Robertson or Sharp from the Lions on the cheap? they are looking at clearing some list spots. My son has done a few one on one training sessions with Sharp. he's a jet, great kid, bit of pace there and would fit in nicely.
Agree on Sharp, exactly what we need. However Robertson is just a younger version of Kennedy, so not so much.

Sharp would be handy, Melbourne have apparently spoken to him but I doubt the lions let him go.

Robertson is a solid footballer but the knock is he is a bit slow. Think a younger Matt Kennedy. Be strange to let Matt go and pick up another. Sounds like he's heading to W.A.

After sleeping on it,

I think quite a few of us (myself included) are falling into the trap of wanting said good player to come to us.

but not all elite players are equal, I’d now argue that if we brought in a small forward + key backman or speedy mid through the draft who are even 65-70% the player Houston in, then we as a club would be far better off.

I was also of the argument that we needed gun experienced players for our premiership hopes, but honestly, how much does Houston actually move the needle for us specifically?

That’s also not even mentioning the obvious needing more young guns in the club before Tassie is introduced.

Do your thing Austin, let’s get as many high end picks as we can!

I'll ask you one question.

How often is the ball turned over by our lot coming out of D50?

Answer? Way too much.

Yes, he would move the needle considerably for us.

Houston would have been a good addition but missing on him isn't the end of the world. I think there will also be some opportunities to recruit next year anyway (Trac).

We have so much scope for improvement from within for 2025 anyway.
Get the Hollands boys, Cowan, Moir, Campos and hopefully two other top 15 picks up and going.
New S&C team to keep a reasonably healthy list for a change and some game plan tweaks and we will be contending.

I would be concerned if I was a Pies fan. They could absolutely torch their list here coming into Tassie draft concession time. Would be such a shame :cool:

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back