Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

If the Suns don't want to give us 13, hopefully (and I'm sure of this) there's a backup plan...

Apparently a lot of clubs are looking at Freo's pick 11 and *'s pick 9...

pick 9 is probably too much of a stretch... dealing with Dodo is one thing but the fact they'd want multiple picks this year, not sure how we can satisfy them.

Pick 11 is probably similar... going to be too hard to beat the offers that other clubs put forward.

One realistic scenario could be

34 -> * for *F2 ( *need points this year for the Kako bid)

Our F2 -> GC for 29 (GC need points for next year, especially with revamped draft value index)

Then, 13 + F1 -> GWS for 15 + 16 + 55 (GWS have indicated they want to move up this year, plus they get points for next year. 55 Helps us with B.Campo bid)

Gives us the following:

15 + 16 + 29 + 55 + 65 + 68 + 71

55 -> 71 should take care of a B.Campo bid
Dodo has left the building, Rosa is in charge now.

The whole Owies thing doesn't sit well with me. I understand that he is the guy out of contract & there are too many small forwards etc etc. I actually like him as a player, limited as he is, but my issue is with the logic behind it.

Carlton has been the club of hope & potential for way too long. Too many players with injury history recruited in the hope that they'll come good. Too many players rushed back from injury in the hope that they'll play well. Too many contracts issued on potential.

When is the club going to be more courageous & base decisions on hard facts like actual goals kicked in AFL games? If Motlop or Durdin had two 30 goal seasons back to back, they'd get a tick. Owies does it & gets the punt because he apparently doesn't have as much potential or upside.

It just feels like more playing favorites, like we saw with selection this year.
Think you’ll find it comes down to $$’s and what we’re paying for C.Durd’s & Motlop vs Owies (more mature) desired contract level = Salary Cap management along with the list number squeeze, which is league wide.

Coona Blues laughing at people's sincere posts shows a lack of repect for a different pov. Does not foster goodwill amongst posters. You can disagree but for mine laughing used in that way is devisive and a form of trolling..
Laughing at funny or ironic posts is different.

The post I'm referring to is where I expressed disappointment that DQ said our only priority will be draft picks. Your view on this is abundantly clear and no need to belittle other pov's.
(imho)
Cheers.
I have been reluctant to respond to you given some RL dramas having me in the mood to return in kind the personal attack you have chosen. I actually thought your “passionate” original post was tongue in cheek. As we have had plenty of positive interaction, including PM’s I was taken aback by this aggressive outburst. An outburst “earning” you likes and even a “Love” at my expense. A PM would have been empathetically met, but you choose to grandstand.

I actually gave you the credit to think you were aware of our list situation and that the implausible post you offered was somewhat sarcastic. Clearly that wasn’t the case.

I am over posters dumping on Nick Austin and suggesting a lack of competence. (Aren’t there rules around criticising club officials as well as players) The bloke’s hands are tied and he is approaching the trade and draft period very pragmatically. Every piece of logic around his role to manage the LONG TERM viability of the list. He is not a media performer and not paid to be one.

We have just enough draft capital to get done what he is planning, to optimise the effectiveness of the list. He is very honest in his interviews and respectful to all participants internal and external, but copping heaps from our learned supporters.

We have to date created three main list vacancies. For the exercise dismiss the rookie movements. That is the rookie movements outside of Jordan Boyd contracted for two more years and thus needing to be upgraded to the main list as per AFL rules. The signing of Nick Haynes has taken up another of the vacancies. We currently have one vacant list spot. We need to create two more which must be used at the draft (or extra rookie elevations). That is a statutory requirement.

We currently have four uncontracted or “unwanted/shopped” main list players Owies and Jack Carroll and the contracted Kennedy and Young deemed expendable. We also make assumptions there is a chance to downgrade or delist the likes Fantasia to further create a spot. The other way to create spots is to alter the balance of main list to rookie listed players. This has salary cap ramifications as well as pure list mechanics. Fair to say would be a last resort and would impact negatively on the available salary cap to spend on prospective recruits.

To use our first round pick in the draft and at a minimum sign our father son boys, we need two more list spots created. Austin is trying to obtain another pick utilising our future first rounder to either use in the draft or in a trade. Either way we then require another draft pick created demanding a delisting or trade of three of Owies, Carroll, Kennedy and Young.

This is regarded as the deepest draft in history, an assessment I agree with. Not necessarily the best at the pointy end, but quality in to the third round. Teams do not want to expend their picks well in to the forties, so getting fair value for those we trade out is going to be almost impossible. Many clubs have delisted proven AFL players “in their prime” to create list space to cash in on this draft.

Austin will not totally reject making a trade if an advantageous one falls in our lap in the public domain as never say never is a thing. He wants the draft. With our salary cap position, short of stressing it further and jeopardising losing, in particular Tom De Koning because another club offers twice what we can afford due to cap stress, we are not doing high value trades. He clearly prefers to hit a draft where we can find players to contribute substantially to the club for a decade and a half, rather than find another fringe or flawed “mature” stopgap option.

There is a difference between harmlessly spitballing BS impractical trade options and posting the same in conjunction with negative comments to our List Manager.

As I said, I thought I detected an element of sarcasm in your post that clearly wasn’t there. I also thought I was interacting, albeit in passing with a poster up for a bit of banter. I am sorry you took offence at the emoji expressing an emotion. I am sick of the (to use your word) constant trolling of our List Manager, a bloke responsibly going about his very difficult role while being mischievously “trolled” by the media and indeed his club’s own supporters.

It cant be this hard surely.

Cook picks up Mobile and dials GWs number
GW: "Gday Boss, what up?"
Cook:"Hi GW, got a job for ya"
GW: "Sweet, what is it?"
Cookie: "Put the golf clubs back in the boot and come down to PP"
GW:"Done, what's cookin' ?"
Cookie "Need you help Curly's Boy get Houston sorted"
GW:"No worries, see you in halfa"
Cookie: "Good man"
GW goes to PP, makes a few calls, job done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cornes has said something like the below this morning (paraphrasing heavily here)
  • Enormous faith in the Camporeale twins, value acquisition for years to come
  • Likes the strategy Carlton have taken in the trade period so far
  • Said we've tabled our offer to GCS and won't make any changes to it, just waiting for the call
  • Said we should be happy if we get him and happy if we don't

What interested me most, was the wraps on the Campos, given he is a South Australian himself he'd have a good line of sight on the boys and hear a lot about their development
He was pumping up the twins the other day. Just needs to quieten it down a little until after draft night.

Are you saying Owies has 3 times the X factor ?

Only if he appeared on 3 seasons of The X factor

alessandro cattelan finale GIF by X Factor Italia

Be nice if we could put Fanta on ice in the VFL and promise to re-boot him in MSD (no doubt someone will be out by then), if the contract could be included for a non-payout = a list spot freed up.

So Richmond just handed Brisbane 1700 draft points for 910 in return... well done geniuses. It's equivalent of gifting pick 24 for nothing. Has to be one of the worst picks trades of all time. How is it even allowed?
Because for 3 later meaningless picks they could upgrade 32 into the 1st round.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back