Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Am I the only one who really isn't excited about Houston.

Yes good player, and i'm sure i'll get up and about when we land him and when we see him in Navy Blue, but not an area of need for us.
I would be more excited if I knew that Pick 11 wasn’t in play for Dan.

Yes good player, and i'm sure i'll get up and about when we land him and when we see him in Navy Blue, but not an area of need for us.
Not at all. I actively hope it doesn't eventuate.

I'm more concerned about the hit to our salary cap. TDK should be a priority.

Do you really think that Austin would put TDK in any jeopardy by sounding out the likes of Houston …
These things will have been planned and budgeted for long before trade week swings into gear …

If not now with Cripps Curnow Walsh Weitering McKay TDK Saad all in their prime and a solid supporting cast, when do you think might be the right time to bite the bullet and launch the final assault on a premiership.
We’ll take the twins in the draft to compliment our current youth and can add NGA players next season with Walker to follow the season after.
If a club never has the courage to fully back themselves and take their shot at the title … what really is their purpose …
No fan of Geelong but have to admire the way they backed themselves, landed Cameron and nailed a flag they couldn’t have won without him …
I don’t think adding a player like Houston completes the final assault on a premiership. I think the progression of players like Moir, Wilson, Motlop, Cowan, both Hollands, Binns, Lord and Carroll etc will be the nucleus. Nailing down where Kemp is played also. Also less injuries will be a big difference.

Adding a hbf and killing our salary cap wont be helping us win a premiership.

We are already losing Kennedy, Owies and Young most likely because the cap is tight and people are wanting another 800k plus player to enter the ranks???? Well we better cut another few more players if we go after Houston!

A couple of very good small/medium forwards at the draft: Berry/Hotton/Dattoli/Hannaford
or trade: Konstanty/Stone etc
Another mid with speed and skill at the draft along with the Campos will place great pressure on our list to do better.

We have a very very good list and the young players pushing hard and earning games will be what gets us over the line if and when it happens.

The draft and trade names I’ve personally mentioned may not be names people think could get us to another level but I disagree. We need damaging small forwards and a couple if we drafted would easily play in 2025 and add pressure. But as mentioned, the biggest factor in us being better in 2025 is the progression of our youth and less injuries. Houston no doubt would help but at the expense of our salary cap and the loss of good players I just don’t see it as a gain and can further unbalance an already unbalanced list. Just my opinion 👍

I’m torn… Focus on the draft or go all in now…

I’m kind of the thought of going all in now and going all in at the trade table..

In 2027-29 Tasmania’s draft and just taking players concessions are likely to start…

Our ages list in 2028:
Newman - 35
Saad - 34
Docherty - 34
Williams -34
Cripps - 33
McGovern - 33
Fantasia - 33
Acres - 32
Hewett - 32
Pittonet - 32
Kennedy -31
Owies - 31
Curnow - 31
Cincotta - 31
Weitering - 30
Silvagni - 30
McKay - 30

In the next 3 drafts 2024-27, we’re never going to have the picks or strike rate to replace the above players…

We don’t know and can only hope, if at that age the players can continue to contribute to their current form…

I’m not saying, we need to go all Geelong retirement home, but go all in, on players in the 21-26 age bracket, that make us better… If that involves moving favourite players on then so be it…

Brownlow done and dusted
GF out of the way on Saturday
The AFL then free to let the games begin !!
What is Austin up to …
Are the club all in on a premiership …
Hopefully the club is interested, proactive and aggressive , because fans and supporters have been waiting 30 years. It’s absurd and unacceptable that they can’t get the team closer than just crawling into the final 8.
List is blatantly unbalanced half a dozen stars gobbling up the salary cap space allocation and then some very poor selections and it drops off steeply.
Now that membership numbers are all time high, hopefully complacency doesn’t set in.
In 3 to 4 years time our stars are nearing the end of the road.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Knives are out for Voss, will need a great season to survive.

As obvious as it is.

Coming from a player, who's partner has ties to someone I know.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
Cripps words about Voss last night leave me in no doubt the ‘players with knives’ will have to get through him first to get to Voss.

They signed Esava on 700k. They will be forced to trade out Houston it seems.
Wow- just googled his contract details and yeah news.com.au was saying up to $700k ($5m over 7yrs) he went for 25, 76 and 94.
That’s a big number, I’d like a couple other sources before I believed it, but that gives us at least a ball park cost

I don’t think adding a player like Houston completes the final assault on a premiership. I think the progression of players like Moir, Wilson, Motlop, Cowan, both Hollands, Binns, Lord and Carroll etc will be the nucleus. Nailing down where Kemp is played also. Also less injuries will be a big difference.

Adding a hbf and killing our salary cap wont be helping us win a premiership.

We are already losing Kennedy, Owies and Young most likely because the cap is tight and people are wanting another 800k plus player to enter the ranks???? Well we better cut another few more players if we go after Houston!

A couple of very good small/medium forwards at the draft: Berry/Hotton/Dattoli/Hannaford
or trade: Konstanty/Stone etc
Another mid with speed and skill at the draft along with the Campos will place great pressure on our list to do better.

We have a very very good list and the young players pushing hard and earning games will be what gets us over the line if and when it happens.

The draft and trade names I’ve personally mentioned may not be names people think could get us to another level but I disagree. We need damaging small forwards and a couple if we drafted would easily play in 2025 and add pressure. But as mentioned, the biggest factor in us being better in 2025 is the progression of our youth and less injuries. Houston no doubt would help but at the expense of our salary cap and the loss of good players I just don’t see it as a gain and can further unbalance an already unbalanced list. Just my opinion 👍

I never mentioned Houston specifically, there are always others.
By the time Moir, Wilson etc progress to the level, and there’s no guarantee that they will, Cripps will be finished and the others heading that way too.
“Sunday to far away” brother.
Sometimes you just have to have the courage to make your stand …

If we want Houston we will need to give up pick 11. Club might not want to and they'll push F1 but taking off our blue glasses, the deal doesn't get done without it. He is under contract. Port can play hard ball.

Plus pick 11 is more then fair value for a 27 year old back to back all australian. F1 which could easily be a late teens pick in a weaker draft is unders.

The question is whether it's worth it to us if he doesn't fill a position of real need (also considering the salary cap implications).

Don't ever remember feeling so conflicted about a player that we are looking at picking up from another club. Yes, he is

quality. Yes, he would make us better. Could imagine Austin getting pretty excited about him, especially with Jack in his ear.

Not totally against getting him, just don't want to see the club give up too much for him. Maybe as some poster's have

already suggested, Port will be very keen to get him off their books. Hopefully this is the case and Port are accommodating

to us. Biggest area of need though is lack of pace, in the midfield. Watching the way the Lions took that game away from

the Cats in the second half was great to watch. Their ball movement was electric, kicked with precision and this is the way

to play the game. Lots of handball chains as well. Cam Rayner is exactly the kind of player we need, has explosiveness

and kicks goals. Maybe Wilson will become something similar in two or three years.

If we want Houston we will need to give up pick 11. Club might not want to and they'll push F1 but taking off our blue glasses, the deal doesn't get done without it. He is under contract. Port can play hard ball.

Plus pick 11 is more then fair value for a 27 year old back to back all australian. F1 which could easily be a late teens pick in a weaker draft is unders.

The question is whether it's worth it to us if he doesn't fill a position of real need (also considering the salary cap implications).
We will be looking to trade our F1st with a team such as Richmond for one of their many likely 1st round picks to use on this trade.

Austin will be keen to get some good young talent in this draft, very simple we walk away from Houston if the cost is too high, we have a range of list improvements, don't see over investing in Houston is the right path.

Don't ever remember feeling so conflicted about a player that we are looking at picking up from another club. Yes, he is

quality. Yes, he would make us better. Could imagine Austin getting pretty excited about him, especially with Jack in his ear.

Not totally against getting him, just don't want to see the club give up too much for him. Maybe as some poster's have

already suggested, Port will be very keen to get him off their books. Hopefully this is the case and Port are accommodating

to us. Biggest area of need though is lack of pace, in the midfield. Watching the way the Lions took that game away from

the Cats in the second half was great to watch. Their ball movement was electric, kicked with precision and this is the way

to play the game. Lots of handball chains as well. Cam Rayner is exactly the kind of player we need, has explosiveness

and kicks goals. Maybe Wilson will become something similar in two or three years.
We look quick too when our handball game is on.

Not directly advocating for Houston but if Austin is, what is a fair price for a contracted 27yo back to back All Australian HBF.
As a comparison, pick 6 is rumoured to be in play for 27yo HBF Daniel Rioli who has never been All Australian …

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back