Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Barrett on the Sunday Footy Show reckons the Pies are making a big play for Houston now.
Also, when asked of any possible big names during trade period, mentioned Harry - (Lions maybe ask the question if Joe retires) BUT was his opinion only, zero substance to it.

I’ve taken the approach to AFL media rumours as “Have our ITK’s said it? No? Then it’s AFL media BS.” I’ve taken that approach for a very long time.

We have ITK’s on here with good information, who have had impressive strike rates over many years. There is no reason to get stressed out (not saying anyone is) over what some click baity journo selling a story is saying.

I’ve taken the approach to AFL media rumours as “Have our ITK’s said it? No? Then it’s AFL media BS.” I’ve taken that approach for a very long time.

We have ITK’s on here with good information, who have had impressive strike rates over many years. There is no reason to get stressed out (not saying anyone is) over what some click baity journo selling a story is saying.
Yep not real unless Barrett & co put it into a bullshit cryptic riddle or song mashup…..🤣

Thanks Soapy,

Just not quite enough scandal or scuttle butt for this time of year!!!!

Sounds very planned and strategic and without knowing any of the names it’s hard to judge if we are being “courageous or bold“ with our list management.

I can understand the club feeling that the list is not too far off without resting in its pursuit for constant improvement.

It would seem that the club has a longer term view on staying up the ladder, unwilling to sell the farm for a short hit at a flag, where as us supporters would rather just get the cup and worry about what happens next later.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
The thing is, we can trade in as many great players as humanly possible and it doesn’t guarantee a premiership.

Of course the club would think our time is now like many other clubs, but we need to continue to keep bringing in quality youth. Some it may take a few years to click or some they might just work overnight.

Looking at Brisbane yesterday they played:
Ashcroft 20
Lohmann 21
Fletcher 20
Morris 19

They trusted their youth and all 4 played really good games.

We MUST continue to go down the draft track imo and if a very good player drops to us, then of course we take a chance re trade. But to go all in and trade our picks away on 1 or 2 players wouldn’t be the sensible option.

The thing is, we can trade in as many great players as humanly possible and it doesn’t guarantee a premiership.

Of course the club would think our time is now like many other clubs, but we need to continue to keep bringing in quality youth. Some it may take a few years to click or some they might just work overnight.

Ashcroft 20
Lohmann 21
Fletcher 20
Morris 19

They trusted their youth and all 4 played really good games.

We MUST continue to go down the draft track imo and if a very good player drops to us, then of course we take a chance re trade. But to go all in and trade our picks away on 1 or 2 players wouldn’t be the sensible option.

Well said Juddy. We were discussing this last night. Lohman Morris Ah Chee, Zorko to defence only happened because of injury

Would have Fagan made this changes otherwise? I don’t know but I doubt it. Coaches these days are so fixated on processes and structures and have tunnel vision.

Reminds me so much of our last 2 games this year. Lord Binns Moir, Hollands to HB, Kemp forward etc made us look better

I hope our coaches open our thinking to this next year. I’m excited by these young players along with O’Keefe & Wilson

Houston would be great, and I will be happy to get him, but never underestimate what continued youth, opportunity and regeneration brings to a side

Last edited:
Barrett on the Sunday Footy Show reckons the Pies are making a big play for Houston now.
Also, when asked of any possible big names during trade period, mentioned Harry - (Lions maybe ask the question if Joe retires) BUT was his opinion only, zero substance to it.
Barrett is vying for biggest pretender in the footy media. For a bloke with inside contacts for decades, he has no clue. Happy to wing it and make shit up for a buy line

They had no ability to run hard all day, otherwise they would have just flipped the ball to the outside. Clearly the blockbuster run and the system ground down key personnel.

Their style needs tweaks because it's not sustainable.

I think their biggest problem was the MCG... Heeney being injured didn't exactly help though.

Their game is a lot more sustainable on the smaller grounds, particularly the SCG imo.

Nor does investing all our currency at the draft. Lions had 7 players from other clubs, so it's generally a balance

We can still target a ready made type and invest most of our currency in youth

Ashcroft 20
Motlop
Lohmann 21
Elijah
Fletcher 20
Ollie
Morris 19
Cowan

Different positions and quality, but all the same age

I don't think we will trade all our currency on ready made types, nor do I believe anyone has suggested we should

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For all the discussion nothing has really changed from what I have been told for months. 1-2 early draft picks supported by some Elijah/Acres type deals and some smart mature/dfa picks

I know people would like more but this is the reality as I’m told

Actually, I'd be very happy if this is what we do...

Couple of 1st rounders, Campo twins + Haynes and we've done quite well imo.

Wh
Can we give the “we were 2nd on the ladder” BS a rest - Hawks were 13th - Brisbane was 13th while we were 2nd too, who the **** cares!

It’s where u finish that counts!
Being 2nd on 11-12 wins doesn’t mean anything if that doesn’t translate to 15+ wins and top 4.

Getting spanked by Hawthorn & losing to the Pies & Saints is a hell of a lot more relevant than “we were 2nd”
What about beating 3 of the 4 preliminary finalists, actually 'spanking' two of them to use your terminology.
Our season and it's final result has so many layers, variables and sliding door moments. To claim that being 2nd for a large portion of the year is any less relevant than a particular loss is just data selecting to suit your argument. There is balance to everything.
Everyone has 'their' opinion on why we finished where we did and you have clearly stated yours. In my opinion, our season was a lot more nuanced than final ladder position. I am strongly in the camp that with a better injury list creating more continuity, our final H&A ladder position and our finals run would have played out a little differently. Our best is good enough, but we still need to make improvements over the off season because every other team will.
To put a different perspective on our season. No top 8 side used as many players as us. No top 8 side had as big an injury list as ours. A healthy list is the key factor in building understanding of playing systems and each person's role in it.

For a lot of people both in and out of the industry, sides are always compared to the premier. This year...
Carlton beat them once by 1 point and lost the second game by 28 points.
Sydney lost twice, 2 points than 60 points.
The pies beat them twice and didn't make finals.
The cats beat them during the H&A but lost the prelim at home.
The giants beat them twice in the H&A but lost the semi.

I don't think we are as far away as you seem to imply. Hopefully next year we aren't having the same debate.

Nor does investing all our currency at the draft. Lions had 7 players from other clubs, so it's generally a balance

Compared to:

Saad
McGovern
Williams
Cerra
Hewett
Acres
Newman
Young
Elijah
Kennedy
Pittonet
Fogarty
Fantasia
Docherty
Martin (gone)
Marchbank (gone)

We haven't invested much into the draft for years...

2020:

37 -> Durdin
41 -> Carroll

2021:

27 -> Motlop

2022:

11 -> Ollie
30 -> Cowan
32 -> Binns
47 -> Lemmey

2023:

29 -> Moir
34 -> Wilson

Only two first round picks in the last 4 years...

and at #29 for Moir, that was obviously a very compromised first round...

Absolutely need to focus on hitting the draft harder this year imo...

Compared to:

Saad
McGovern
Williams
Cerra
Hewett
Acres
Newman
Young
Elijah
Kennedy
Pittonet
Fogarty
Fantasia
Docherty
Martin (gone)
Marchbank (gone)

2020:

37 -> Durdin
41 -> Carroll

2021:

27 -> Motlop

2022:

11 -> Ollie
30 -> Cowan
32 -> Binns
47 -> Lemmey

2023:

29 -> Moir
34 -> Wilson

Compounded by all the early draft pick misses or those who are no longer on the list or playing at all….

Compared to:

Saad
McGovern
Williams
Cerra
Hewett
Acres
Newman
Young
Elijah
Kennedy
Pittonet
Fogarty
Fantasia
Docherty
Martin (gone)
Marchbank (gone)

2020:

37 -> Durdin
41 -> Carroll

2021:

27 -> Motlop

2022:

11 -> Ollie
30 -> Cowan
32 -> Binns
47 -> Lemmey

2023:

29 -> Moir
34 -> Wilson

Minimal relevance to my post, or the post I responded to

I’ve heard Oscar Allen to Brisbane off mates that live in Queensland for a while now. I have no idea how that’d be able to do that but

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back