Hot Topic Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

4 would rule out Kelly.

Forced out. Would make me think it's an older player from a better team or team on the rise.

Also suggests a club confident of getting another player in on a good contract.

Who would be excess to Geelong's midfield if they're getting both Smith and Oliver?

Jargar O'Meara if Freo get Kelly?
My guess is Darcy Parish.

Big contract. Seems to have fallen behind Durham and Caldwell in the pecking order. Bombers likely to take a mid at pick 8 before a bid on Kako.

Just reading up on TPP and additional player payments. It seems to state that it’s the afl discretion to approve additional funding from a teams sponsor. Hence the removal of judds in 2012 after getting extra from 2008-2011. As smith already has an existing arrangement with cotton on it will only come up if that arrangement is altered once he states he’s signing with Geelong (today). If Geelong were prepared for this they would have got him a nice pay rise from cotton on throughout this season under the proviso he signs for 2025. It’s going to be messy for the afl and if the media get a hold of a sniff of this (it’s already going to look insane if smith and Oliver both come to Geelong) this will be a huge story over the coming weeks of the trade period.

View attachment 2129572
The AFL can’t stop someone earning (to a certain point) but in this case of his Cotton On commitments increase he can validate that with the extra side income. As this is prior contract, the T&C’s should remain the same on remuneration for output.
Getting murkier however.

Who's Essendon been linked to that will take a big salary.

... and why would we help them?
Good points. Back to the drawing board.

My thinking was that they’ve signed up a bunch of big money types recently and they might need cap space for their OOCs and young players. He’s surplus to requirements so they might want to sacrifice him. We might see him as an upgrade on Kennedy/carroll/cerra/hewett.

Last edited:
Once again to reference Geelong, up until last years tomfoolery, they just got deals done, they didn't haggle to much, they were happy to identify the player they wanted, and do what was required to get the deal done.
That built up repour is not something that is quickly forgotten within the industry.
Although the AFL seems like a massive business, there really isn't that many people involved. So you don't want to burn bridges to often for the sake of making a 'ruthless' point.
Unless there is a very serious point that needs to be made.

Sorry for the long winded reply. Hopefully I've articulated this well enough.
Changing of the guard to Mackie has taken a turn for the worse (for others dealing with them). Seeing things differently to G.Wells era on fair value.

Who's Essendon been linked to that will take a big salary.

... and why would we help them?
I would rather kick them squarely in the nuts than to help them.
They have been suspiciously quiet - they always have something going on 🤔

Good player but it’s kinda just another version of Cerra

The orgie of top 20 draft picks is turning me on.

Kind of agree. We have the talent and depth to challenge next year. Some big pluses back and hopefully a better injury run to assist.
If we can't get another A grader, which always makes you better, then draft picks for long term growth, with youth and development as the next step.
I don't like the 30+ top ups but that is just me.

Last edited:
Only just signed a long term deal this season, would be stunned if only 3 months later they dump him off as cap relief
Yes he did, but whoever it is has a decent contract in place.

Rioli and maybe Dusty can force a change in thinking. Obviously guessing, but at least he would be best 22. Fiorini would not be as appealing.

Talk to Kane about that, although he's looking at length as well as dollars I guess

View attachment 2129822
Odds on that Taranto and Hopper were on that list. Kane is never going to let that go. Can't blame him though because it's hard to think of two blokes who have committed bigger career suicide than them two.

Odds on that Taranto and Hopper were on that list. Kane is never going to let that go. Can't blame him though because it's hard to think of two blokes who have committed bigger career suicide than them two.
Those two are the others I thought of when trying to figure out the salary dump player. But surely the tigers don’t need cap space anyway

I would rather kick them squarely in the nuts than to help them.
They have been suspiciously quiet - they always have something going on 🤔

Good player but it’s kinda just another version of Cerra
The one thing that we can be quietly confident on is that us (and the rest of the league) don't have to worry too much about whatever tangent * are concerning themselves with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brennan Cox would be an excellent pick up for the salary dump for not too much trade capital. Dockers coped without him for most of the year. Would suit us to a tee.

It finally seems like we're finally a destination club if you believe the rumours, but I'm really impressed we're not selling our future to get all of these deals done.

Hopefully we can bring in some of the talent looking our way , along with also maintaining a strong hand in the draft.

The potential trade options are many, however as usual Austin seems inert.
Outcomes will fluctuate, there’s plenty of volatility as usual.
Have my fingers crossed that wittingly or unwittingly Austin will improve our list. We need plenty of luck.

Brennan Cox would be an excellent pick up for the salary dump for not too much trade capital. Dockers coped without him for most of the year. Would suit us to a tee.
Cox would be a very good acquisition and would be "a player we need". Freo also going for Bolton so story fits.

Edit: Signed a 6 year extension til 2030 last year so might be unlikely Freo let him go that quickly

Cox would be great but would be surprised if Fremantle let him go - Ryan will be 29 by season start and Pearce turns 30 in June.

With Baker going to West Coast I doubt they need to clear space for just Bolton.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hot Topic Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back