Hot Topic Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Message this morning from someone I trust that gets most things right. In response to questions I asked a day ago

1. SDK - No but we will always ask. He is happy at Cats
2. Houston - Port would have to move a fair bit on their position. Picks the issue not money
3. Papley - No
4. Looking at "player" to take over salary and get cheap. If his club signs their target he may be "forced" out and we will take contract
5. Petracca - Just won't happen and we could never satisfy asking price
6. Graham Wright spoken to about CEO role. Not interested in football role
7. A number of a DFA's being interviewed and having medicals
8. Perfect world we will get 2-3 first round picks

My comment: I know people would like to hear "big names" but I just can't see it. The messages to me have been consistent and for months. Draft picks, Campo twins and some targeted cheap trades or DFA's is our focus

Thanks heaps Soapy!

What's the level of confidence we can get pick 12 from the GC?

Personally, I think he's worth pick 6-8 easily. Our pick 11 that nobody wants to give up is unders by itself. Just not sure he's worth that to us.

Maybe then our first pick this year and our first pick next year, they give us back a second-rounder and the player.

I do feel we have much more pressing needs than another half back so it is an unusual focus.

If that was the case I think he would already have nominated us. Port don't need to meet us in the middle. He's said he's happy to stay and thanks to their failure to nab Perryman and Cummings they need him to.

They need to start getting games into Sinn who they rate extremely highly. They also have Bergman, Farrell, Burgoyne, Evans.. they’re loaded for half backs. Losing him wouldn’t be the end of the world for them. He’s said all the right things in the media (aka I’m happy to stay) because he doesn’t want to burn bridges but from what I’ve heard his partner is desperate to get to Vic so he will be pushing it hard behind the scenes along with his manager.

These things always start out with a team asking for overs and the other team offering unders and it meets in the middle. Nearly always. If they hold him then so be it, it’s also not the end of the world for us as we have lots of other areas to address.

Personally, I think he's worth pick 6-8 easily. Our pick 11 that nobody wants to give up is unders by itself. Just not sure he's worth that to us.
Agree AA for past 2 seasons, Dan is absolutely in his prime, would be a great addition to our defense no doubt.
Its a matter of the greater strategy for this trade period.
Much to unfold, got the fingers crossed that Austin doesn't go into full marmot mode again this trade period.
We need to be astute and aggressive too.

My guess on potential salary dump player is Coniglio. Based on what’s been said by posters, there aren’t many who fit the criteria. Hope I’m wrong.
I thought salary dumps occur when the dumper has salary cap constraints. As there are a few leaving Giants I would've thought any salary cap issues would be less severe?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fiorini is just ok. He's not overly fast, isn't physical for a guy of his size, his skill is B grade (good, not great), isn't a big accumulator, doesn't have a huge tank and isn't a great mark. He's a C+/B- grade in lots of things but B+ at nothing type of player.

I'm not really sure he's one that moves the needle for anyone, if it's between him and Kennedy I'd probably prefer to keep Kennedy given his versatility.
and why I find this years trade talk so depressing. Swapping around pretty good non-durables for what? Reminds me of the old titanic adage. Something about deck chairs.
and at least make an incoming ok ...at least durable player from a club with a winning culture.
But it's all summation at this stage. So I have hope the actual results are a lot better than some of the proposed options.

If that was the case I think he would already have nominated us. Port don't need to meet us in the middle. He's said he's happy to stay and thanks to their failure to nab Perryman and Cummings they need him to.
Any player's worth/value is driven by the market, there is absolutely no club paying two 1st rounders for Houston, if he was 25 his market value would be more, but any club is going to get 3 Max 4 good years from him, Port are being unrealistic on his value.

It is early days, still think there will be a compromise with our F1st being part of the deal & what we may acquire for Owies or Kennedy.
lf Port want to be inflexible let them be and take more picks to the draft which l believe is a better option.

If we’ve convinced Houston that Carlton is the place for him then I can’t see us backing away from the trade. That would be a bad look. I also don’t see any world in which we part with 2 first round picks for him. That’s overs.. Port know it and we know it. It’s their initial demands.. we’ll meet somewhere in the middle- a first and a second for Houston and a third or something along those lines. North were always just being used mainly by Port as leverage.

As for Fiorini.. he’s a handy player but I’m not sure he’s a good fit for us. From memory he’s tried to get to the Pies a couple of times in the past so I think Arrow is probably on the mark saying Collingwood.

I don't think we have. I think he sees us as a club coming into their window, coached by a guy he's played under and likely respects, and home to one or two of his good mates. He's wanting to get to VIC if he can, but if it's not to a club he knows he'll be happy at he'll likely just stick it out at Port.

Carlton have then said they're happy to take him on as long as they can still meet their existing list strategy priorities - which means we're not giving up a key player or Pick 11 to get him. Port know that, don't want to trade him for unders, so they're taking the opportunity to play "tough" on the public stage - hence the media leaks about how our offer is "arrogant" and "insulting". It's not, it's not even really an offer, it's just us saying "hey, we've got other stuff we want to do, so if you guys will take X we'll do a deal, if not then no harm done we can all just carry on".

I reckon Houston stays at Port, and we maybe revisit things in 12 months once the new rules for future pick trades come into play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hot Topic Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back