Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Groomsman….
??
Nikki Deloach Luke GIF by Hallmark Channel

I
Sam Walsh knows Dan Houston from “Jack Silvagni’s wedding”. ****ing hell Tom Morris. 😂
tom morris would be better in a gossip mag he is pretty bad

We were sitting 2nd on the ladder and equal premiership favorites with a month and a half left of the season.

While going through one of the biggest injury crisis in the comp all season long...

We aren't that far off.

Get Walsh, Harry, Charlie and Cerra fully fit again and pick up 1-2 pieces this off season, we'll be in it up to our eyeballs imo.

They added Dunkley, Gunstan and McKenna to get them from a prelim to a GF, they then and went and got free agent Doedee because they saw the need for a better KPD.

Yes we had injuries, but your comments that there isn’t anyone available to me seems like, giving the club an out, there’s always players available and there will be in the next week or so.

Barass would have been great for us.

Blues lift offer as Houston race heats up, Darling switch close, five deals to unlock key trades - https://www.afl.com.au/news/1239337

Based on this reporting I would say our offer is the best.

Trading F1 2025 + F2 2025 + Pick 34

For 13 and Ess F2 2025

On Pixel 7a using BigFooty.com mobile app

That's better than F1 and 34 alone, for us at least. We'll back ourselves to do better than Essendon.

We still need to get another F2 from trades in order to pass it to Port. We wait to find our the Owies or Kennedy suitors. Hard to see us losing our best clubman award winner unless he really wants midfield minutes over staying with his mates.

When a team is in their premiership window.

We are focusing ion the draft is code for, our cap is maxed out.

Only signing established players will convince me otherwise.
Could well be for 2025 but that’s not to say that in 2026 we don’t have a ton of cap space to nab a few players of need. We also might be at the lower end of the cap and have a plan for the next few years and paying a lot of our big time players in 2025 really could set us up for a big future.

We were 2nd on the ladder up until the final couple of rounds and we were injury ravished for most of the season as I know you’ll be aware. Big chance we improve next year just based off that.

I think the draft is the best avenue for us this off season but maybe I’m in the minority. It’s now time to rejuvenate our list a little a couple of years before Tasmania take a chunk of early picks.

There will be a plan, no doubt but saying we can’t afford anyone maybe a little short sighted. If we win a premiership next year and all we really added this off season is 4 quality draftees, then we look like geniuses

They added Dunkley, Gunstan and McKenna to get them from a prelim to a GF, they then and went and got free agent Doedee because they saw the need for a better KPD.

Yes we had injuries, but your comments that there isn’t anyone available to me seems like, giving the club an out, there’s always players available and there will be in the next week or so.

Barass would have been great for us.
I don't see what the infatuation with Barass from a lot of posters is to be honest. He's a solid KPD, without being exceptional. He would cost 2 first round draft picks and can never run out a full season.
People saying Houston isn't worth 2 first rounders. Yet an injury prone KPD who has only made the AA squad once, would be someone we'd be willing to cough up draft collateral for.
I'm strong in the belief that we need another KPD, but the ones on the market this off season have not enamored me. It's a big pass on Battle and Barass for me. If either of them were available at $400-$500k, and maybe one late first rounder or early second rounder (Fully aware Battle is an UFA), I'd seriously think about it. They aren't, so I'm glad we were never really invested in them.

When a team is in their premiership window.

We are focusing ion the draft is code for, our cap is maxed out.

Only signing established players will convince me otherwise.

1 player taken in the top 25 of the draft for the past 4 years. We are having a bit both ways, which is fair enough, unless we are trading for a Petracca or SDK need.

That would be great a result if Austin can somehow maneuver it.
Along with some organic improvements in fitness and performance, and our game plan which desperately needs a reboot too. The addition of Dan Houston to the list , would give us a serious shot at top 4 next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't agree with that general statement bm

Jack and Doc are ready made improvements to our list

A fit (hopefully) Cerra and Curnow are another couple of ready made improvements

Moir, Binns, Lord and hopefully Wilson could be ready to play much more senior footy...maybe even OKeefe

A fitter EHollands and OHollands hopefully had his second year blues (ptp) year, although picked up later in the season

Martin, Marchbank and Cuningham out make our list stronger just because they reduced our playing list availability and flexibility by about 10% (assuming we would've played 30 players)

Strong draft-this means we are drafting for the future and for now (strong draft usually means that players good enough to step up in first year)

Campo boys - unknown but I'm excited

Haynes-some steadiness down back and support for Weiters

And-there may be other things in the showbag we're not aware of yet...I don't know but hoping

The lion's share of improvement MUST come from within, otherwise it's an indictment on our current list
Every team above us could present a similar run down of who’s returning from injury and who can improve to help them climb the ladder.

Collingwood were aggressive prior to winning the flag and continue to to be aggressive to push for another.

Hawks were aggressive last year and are aggressive again.

Freo are targeting senior players this year

Geelong are being aggressive again

Port have a commitment from Lukoscious

But all we are hanging our hat on is internal improvement and Jack and Doc coming back,

Every team above us could present a similar run down of who’s returning from injury and who can improve to help them climb the ladder.

Collingwood were aggressive prior to winning the flag and continue to to be aggressive to push for another.

But all we are hanging our hat on is internal improvement and Jack and Doc coming back,
Just on Collingwood.

Yes they were aggressive during the 2022 trade period and that helped them win the 2023 cup.

The year before they only brought in Lipinski on the cheap and NDaicos at the draft and nothing else of note if I remember correctly. So a year of the draft and a low collateral trade of Lipinski allowed they to go hard at trade time the following year.

1 player taken in the top 25 of the draft for the past 4 years. We are having a bit both ways, which is fair enough, unless we are trading for a Petracca or SDK need.
I am very sceptical of Austin tbh, 1 pick in the top 25 across the last 4 years is down to him not being aggressive enough.

I find our LM strategy a bit confusing, last year we kept Martin, Cuners, Marchbank, traded two depth players, brought in Hollands and traded back our 1st pick, to me, that’s not hitting the draft and it wasn’t being aggressive at the trade table.

This year we have cut the injured players and all the chat is we are hitting the draft, which makes it seem like we overestimated the quality of the list last year.

At the end of the draft period if all we have done is added a 32 depth defender and draft picks, that’s a terrible outcome, if the club doesn’t think I we are in a position to win the GF next year and we need to load up on young talent, then fine, but if that’s the case, why not offer up more players for picks.

I hope I get exposed for worrying about nothing but if Collingwood off a premiership last year can target Schultz, sign a free agent to a huge deal and chase Houston, yet we can’t do anything like that, then we are in a bad position.

Just on Collingwood.

Yes they were aggressive during the 2022 trade period and that helped them win the 2023 cup.

The year before they only brought in Lipinski on the cheap and NDaicos at the draft and nothing else of note if I remember correctly. So a year of the draft and a low collateral trade of Lipinski allowed they to go hard at trade time the following year.

Yes and in 2022 we only brought in Acres, whilst also trading out depth player Setterfield, last year we traded out two depth players and brought in Hollands and this year it seems we are hitting the draft again, that will be three years in a row

nope.

We had 2 of our best three midfielders either missing or wounded most of the year.

And the competition's best forward on one leg for most of the season too.

throw in the league's best emerging ruckman...getting butchered by (and long term injured) Xerri?

Walsh, Cerra, Curnow and TDK - the other teams?

I am very sceptical of Austin tbh, 1 pick in the top 25 across the last 4 years is down to him not being aggressive enough.

I find our LM strategy a bit confusing, last year we kept Martin, Cuners, Marchbank, traded two depth players, brought in Hollands and traded back our 1st pick, to me, that’s not hitting the draft and it wasn’t being aggressive at the trade table.

This year we have cut the injured players and all the chat is we are hitting the draft, which makes it seem like we overestimated the quality of the list last year.

At the end of the draft period if all we have done is added a 32 depth defender and draft picks, that’s a terrible outcome, if the club doesn’t think I we are in a position to win the GF next year and we need to load up on young talent, then fine, but if that’s the case, why not offer up more players for picks.

I hope I get exposed for worrying about nothing but if Collingwood off a premiership last year can target Schultz, sign a free agent to a huge deal and chase Houston, yet we can’t do anything like that, then we are in a bad position.

I agree that Austin has been underwhelming. I think we overpaid on Saad, and Cerra wasn't required, especially with Hewett brought in.

The decisions this year might be the correct ones, but possibly they are being made to correct the errors of previous years.

Time will tell.

Yeah, cause that's exactly what I said :D

Go back and read what I wrote...and this time, read it properly please

Yes and in 2022 we only brought in Acres, whilst also trading out depth player Setterfield, last year we traded out two depth players and brought in Hollands and this year it seems we are hitting the draft again, that will be three years in a row
I reckon it’s definitely a ‘watch this space’ over the next week and a half.
Austin has left a lot open, imo could be a pretty active trade period.
(Needs to be imo)

Could well be for 2025 but that’s not to say that in 2026 we don’t have a ton of cap space to nab a few players of need. We also might be at the lower end of the cap and have a plan for the next few years and paying a lot of our big time players in 2025 really could set us up for a big future.

We were 2nd on the ladder up until the final couple of rounds and we were injury ravished for most of the season as I know you’ll be aware. Big chance we improve next year just based off that.

I think the draft is the best avenue for us this off season but maybe I’m in the minority. It’s now time to rejuvenate our list a little a couple of years before Tasmania take a chunk of early picks.

There will be a plan, no doubt but saying we can’t afford anyone maybe a little short sighted. If we win a premiership next year and all we really added this off season is 4 quality draftees, then we look like geniuses
Hitting the draft with 12 and 13 is fine, if we find another 1-2 players like Acres or Holands who are AFL standard, the hitting the draft angle sounds great but not many draftees influence a side in year 1. In years 2-4 yes and that’s if we pick right.

Other clubs have been able to draft hard and bring in role players, a Ginnivan type deal for us this period would be amazing.

nope.

We had 2 of our best three midfielders either missing or wounded most of the year.

And the competition's best forward on one leg for most of the season too.

throw in the league's best emerging ruckman...getting butchered by (and long term injured) Xerri?

Walsh, Cerra, Curnow and TDK - the other teams?
Cmon Charlie and Walsh played most of the year, every team has injuries.

I agree that Austin has been underwhelming. I think we overpaid on Saad, and Cerra wasn't required, especially with Hewett brought in.

The decisions this year might be the correct ones, but possibly they are being made to correct the errors of previous years.

Time will tell.
I think its fair to say we've overpaid for most of our big name signings - but that's because you have to pay overs to get the other side to sign the deal. The only way to get a bargain at the trade table is to be in a 2 team town (or Geelong), and have the player nominate that they'll only consider playing for 1 club - OR go for lesser known quantities who haven't proven themselves yet - OR get a free agent (which costs cap space we don't really have)

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back