Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

This is a revisionist take. I thought we were pretty clinical at times against Port, Richmond the second time, GWS the first time, Melbourne, amongst others. It’s also extremely rare that a team is a clinical every quarter of a game, let alone every game. It’s just doesn’t work that way

Absolutely not a revisionist take at all. We were discussing it at the time… those other games you reference are a weak defence imo.

It’s also a massive stretch to assume that I’m expecting it from every quarter of every game. The issue is that we see it very rarely and very sporadically.

I'd honestly rather Oliver than Houston
If we can get his head right his best is miles ahead of Houston and he won't cost much because Melbourne want the salary dump

Oliver is one of the best in the league when he is 'sober'.

But list-balance wise, we'd be the worst club in the AFL for him. We don't need another $1M player. And we don't need more inside mids. We certainly don't need another $1M inside mid.

I think there is also a reasonable risk he's no longer playing AFL in 2-3 years from now.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pies are basically going for 1 more flag before their list implodes as the father time catch up to them. One can argue that its a good strategy... One could also very easily argue its a bad strategy. Imo when you're so reliant on just a few key players to your structure in Nick Daicos, Moore and Degoey it's just a bad idea to be going all in on the next 1-2 years when you know you have a mass of retirements imminent and the list will be forced to rebuild during the Tassie drafts. A disaster waiting to happen.

Funnily enough my connection inside the Pies LM team suggested similar and was desperately hoping the club would head to the draft to refresh the list a bit, but seemed to know his opinion would fall on deaf ears with the new big wig running the show.

That being said, we're also an extremely star reliant team (though quite a bit younger). We saw what can happen when they aren't all operating at near to 100% or a few are struck down with injury in the back end of this season. The wheels fall off and the season can go up in smoke in the blink of an eye.

Bringing in fresh young talent can help smooth over that discrepancy and create a more balanced list if u hit ur picks right (due to the low contracts draftees are held to for 3 years which can allow us to keep overperforming kids on minimal contracts) but adding players like Houston simply make our top end even heavier and almost require a miracle to occur to adequately fill our our lower end depth due to the immense cap pressure it puts on list. There's just not enough money in a salary cap to pay so many stars and maintain valuable depth pieces for a sustained period of time.

Leppitsch is clearly all in on the now, as is McRae... We just need to hope they have some bad luck in their 1-2 year window and then the ass falls out of the list after that. They'll be in strife for years and years if they don't perfectly balance things out over the next couple of off seasons.

There is 0 quality coming through their VFL team. Absolutely none.
Maybe I think I'm good at reading people but I'm not :)

Almost 40 years in education and I've had to read the minds of teenagers, parents, staff and also Department associates

But...my "reading" of McRae is that he has cultivated this warm and fuzzy persona and won a flag (very very lucky to have won it IMHO!!)

He wants a flag NOW because he has no intention of hanging around for even the "medium" haul. He is a competitive wolf in sheep's clothing...remember his go at the umpires after the Sydney game????

He does not want to rebuild Collingwood and knows that his reputation as the "let's wrap our arms around X" or the "I just love coaching and seeing my boys happy and enjoying themselves" kind of coach would be debunked if Collingwood fall off the cliff and pressure comes from outside and in...no more press conference smiles!!!!!

I would not be in the slightest bit surprised if he resigns/retires at the end of next year...if they win the flag (god help us!!!!) and his senior players retire OR if they don't win the flag and he faces years in the wilderness trying to rebuild

Like I said, even though Austin was expressing his interest in Houston on Monday, he didn’t seem proactive on our involvement. It had a tone of draft is our priority. Can we do a couple of deals for role players now and move our focus, especially if some of our current crop get traded?

Maybe I think I'm good at reading people but I'm not :)

Almost 40 years in education and I've had to read the minds of teenagers, parents, staff and also Department associates

But...my "reading" of McRae is that he has cultivated this warm and fuzzy persona and won a flag (very very lucky to have won it IMHO!!)

He wants a flag NOW because he has no intention of hanging around for even the "medium" haul. He is a competitive wolf in sheep's clothing...remember his go at the umpires after the Sydney game????

He does not want to rebuild Collingwood and knows that his reputation as the "let's wrap our arms around X" or the "I just love coaching and seeing my boys happy and enjoying themselves" kind of coach would be debunked if Collingwood fall off the cliff and pressure comes from outside and in...no more press conference smiles!!!!!

I would not be in the slightest bit surprised if he resigns/retires at the end of next year...if they win the flag (god help us!!!!) and his senior players retire OR if they don't win the flag and he faces years in the wilderness trying to rebuild

Conman of the highest order …

So now we're all in on Bailey Smith according to Glicksy ...

The plot thickens.

Bailey Smith rumour..

Yes yes yes and ****ing yes.

Imo he's a star. Breaks lines. Runs all day, good kick. Can play inside out and he's in his prime (25 next year).

I doubt it occurs as he's nominated Geelong. But he's the only player imo worth selling the farm for in this trade period.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back