Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Message from early this morning (sorry, been playing Golf)

Club happy where they are so far but still alot that can play out
We are not sitting idle
Voss wants Houston but Austin/Lloyd has said at right price but is more unlikely than likely
No one really knows what will happen now but we are open to anything to improve our options and list NOW. Busiest trade period in years. Lots of swaps, trades will happen in next few days
Austin is speaking with everyone and happy to discuss anything. Wants minimum 2 picks in draft Top 20
We believe there will also be very good players available after trade period. A number of good players will be squeezed off lists
Kennedy some interest but it will be late. Owies the same. Young nothing

What other moving parts would we even have to do this?

I know nothing about this BUT if we were to somehow trade 12 & 14 for 3 I believe we would somehow need another pick inside Top 20

I don't know how, just my opinion?

Maybe WCE move a future F1 for Tigers 11 & 18 and we get 18 as well? Just a wild guess

Those figures you’ve put up aren’t for the salary cap, that’s the soft cap, the salary cap increases next year by a few Million $$$$.

But reports have lots of existing contracts increasing in line with the changes

Yes, you're right.

Ok, this then - https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-09-21/afl-aflw-aflpa-new-cba-deal/102884600

Ditching those players - Cuners, Marchy, Martin, Owies, Durdin (maybe MK too) - has to free up a lot of coin and with at least three draft kids coming in.... cover DH comfortably.

Noting, if other senior players have taken lesser pay (ala the Cats allegedly in pursuit of a flag), DH should too.

By the end of the agreement in 2027, the average AFL men's salary will be $519,000, up from $387,000 last year.

I know nothing about this BUT if we were to somehow trade 12 & 14 for 3 I believe we would somehow need another pick inside Top 20

Maybe WCE move a future F1 for Tigers 11 & 18 and we get 18 as well? Just a wild guess
If we got 3 I suspect the "2 in top 20" goes out the window

12 and 14 is probably unders for 3 so can't see how we get another pick in that deal.

If we are to trade for pick 3, I really really hope we use it on Sid Draper!! His explosiveness, pace, clearance work as well as his leadership would really transform our midfield

Reckon he will be an unbelievable player and only way I believe we could get him is if we secure pick 3 because the Crows would snap him up with pick 4

Surely WC aren't that desperate for Liam Baker?

12 and 14 is probably unders for 3 so can't see how we get another pick in that deal.
West Coast will definitely look to trade now as they have committed to Baker, l would suggest they would do that deal, not sure we would unless Austin absolutely wants one of the high end players in the draft.
Not sure 12 & 14 for 3 is unders in this draft with the evenness of the first 15.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we are to trade for pick 3, I really really hope we use it on Sid Draper!! His explosiveness, pace, clearance work as well as his leadership would really transform our midfield

Reckon he will be an unbelievable player and only way I believe we could get him is if we secure pick 3 because the Crows would snap him up with pick 4

He’s a beast wouldn’t be disappointed in him.

Blues and Eagles have agreed on Pick 12 & 14 for 3, 63,68 and a mid range pick that eagles will get in as part of player movement to cover F&S points. Expect announcement Tuesday.
Draft Target is currently Lalor over O’Sullivan but is close and strong debate internally - either way club extremely happy ! Believe 1 of those 2 players will go pick #1.
Lloyd wont be at club at end of 2025. Both parties agree time for change in that role. Timing with wright being managed.
Rob Inness has reviewed Blues fitness program from last year - significant change coming in both weights room and core strength work …….. Players fit but bodies not match hard and some key list indicators well off Swans levels as a collective !
Enjoy 2025 - Internally very confident !
3 posts in 15 years!

During trade week, I post 3 times within 15 minutes!

Blues and Eagles have agreed on Pick 12 & 14 for 3, 63,68 and a mid range pick that eagles will get in as part of player movement to cover F&S points.
This would be trade of the century and therefore I can't see it happening. If true take and run obviously. yazz seems to have been on the money previously so I'm looking forward to next week.

Last edited:
Ditching those players - Cuners, Marchy, Martin, Owies, Durdin (maybe MK too) - has to free up a lot of coin and with at least three draft kids coming in.... cover DH comfortably.
Not really at all.
Martin’s contract was front ended, was on about 330 this year.
Marchy and Cunners on 1 year extensions, close to minimum. Owies on his first senior contract. Durdin, and Mirkov, on rookie contracts.
Them off the list to be replaced by draftees will free up a little bit of coin, not a lot.

Can't see Eagles giving up pick 3 without at least one top 10 pick coming back their way...

The only way I can think of, is maybe we go knocking on Freo's door.

12 + 14 -> 10 + 18

This will do two things for the Eagles:

1 - It puts them in front of Freo on draft night so they can get Bo Allan
2 - It gives them another top 20 pick which helps with Baker negotiations

For Freo, they will most likely miss out on Bo Allan, but with picks 11 and 12, they'll still have consecutive picks and only move down the draft order by 1... so two very good picks in a deep draft. Pick 14 for Bolton.

This is if we're really keen to have another crack at getting pick 3 off the Eagles. Personally, don't see it happening and still very happy to take 12 + 14 to the draft instead.

All sounds really positive and promising which ever way you look at it for the last 3 days!
Anticipation Popcorn GIF

Is rookie nomination still a thing?

My understanding was if someone bid in the ND, you couldn't match.

But then you get guaranteed access in the rookie draft.
It has changed.
Now you just nominate the player, and if nobody bids, you can list them as a rookie before the rookie draft.
If somebody bids in the ND you have the choice to match or not.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back