Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVII - 'Loopy' Gone Off The Rails

Remove this Banner Ad

Only way we could have gotten close to matching is if Kennedy/Owies etc. got a F2 trade done, and early.

It was always a long shot. I'm glad we held our ground. Houston for 12 would have been a fair deal for us

We may well get an earlier pick now that could be much better

Last edited:
why the hell would collingwood care about future if they win 1-2 flags before houston retires.

I think most people think that the Tassie concessions will set teams back decades and if you don’t have the talent in the next two to three years you’ll fall way behind.

TDK is going to cost us a bomb next year and our salary cup would be close to full and whilst Houston would’ve been a great addition I think the money may have been a bridge too far.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not massive money that would hurt us. He needs to put a few years together and prove he's fully over hammy issues

If he has a bounce back year and we don't offer money then other clubs will line up if we don't commit to him.

I hope I'm wrong.

Collingwood have done well.

They were very fortunate to have both Noble and Richards in demand from the two clubs who were linked via Luko.

They are also in a better financial position given most of their top-liners are on more modest contracts due to age. It made less sense for us to 'go all in' given our top-heavy list profile.

The seas parted and they found a way through.

Is there any reason why there's no talk or indication of us chasing Tom Barrass? Surely he'd be a much better fit to our needs than Houston, and cost less.
I don’t get what all the fuss is for Barrass. He didn’t have an amazing season in 2024. In fact, since his really serious neck injury, has he been the same? He is one knock away from never playing again. He was told by medical experts to retire after this injury, but has decided to roll the dice. IMHO, his best is behind him and we can’t afford another player who is playing with restrictions due to injury.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From my perspective:

I'm okay with missing out on Houston.

Yes, we lack quality ball movement and yes he helps there but we have depth at small to medium defenders.

But the opportunity cost was too significant and would have harmed us elsewhere.

As for Collingwood:

They really haven't addressed their primary needs yet and really haven't got the resources to do much about it.

Their greatest weakness last year (e: for clarity, 2024 season) was their deficit at KP at both ends of the ground. I suspect that is still the case and they're putting too many eggs in the hopes that Mihocek (32 comes back fully from his injury), Cox (34 in March) doesn't drop off, Jeremy Howe (35 before the season starts) can play another great year, and McStay (5 games this year) can bounce back.

They've improved their strengths and really hoping the stickytape holds their weaknesses together.

You're presuming they become players - it's about 50/50 chance for each.

And will contribute zip for 2-4 years.

Yes, Houston would have been a quick fix - for 5 years or so.... would have slammed us into premiership contention.

Dumb af, unless they're still trying to snare SDK or the TRAC...
What if the story was to bring in either a top 5 pick or two first rounders in a superdraft plus the camporeale boys. Then to have a go at SDK next year when his contract expires and we pay less than trying this year?

Not saying he'll be a star but don't count out Ben. Was SA's MVP and made the AA squad as and inside outside mid going up against the best young mids each week. Just needs to tidy up his kick.

I think most people think that the Tassie concessions will set teams back decades and if you don’t have the talent in the next two to three years you’ll fall way behind.

TDK is going to cost us a bomb next year and our salary cup would be close to full and whilst Houston would’ve been a great addition I think the money may have been a bridge too far.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Decades. 😳 Surely at least 1,000 years! 😛.

What if the story was to bring in either a top 5 pick or two first rounders in a superdraft plus the camporeale boys. Then to have a go at SDK next year when his contract expires and we pay less than trying this year?

Not saying he'll be a star but don't count out Ben. Was SA's MVP and made the AA squad as and inside outside mid going up against the best young mids each week. Just needs to tidy up his kick.
Just don't see the need to take 4 kids.... and the other Irish kid too. Five!

I'm sure the Campo boys will become good to very good players.... in a few years!

Oh, I'd be swinging hard at Bailey Smith....

From my perspective:

I'm okay with missing out on Houston.

Yes, we lack quality ball movement and yes he helps there but we have depth at small to medium defenders.

But the opportunity cost was too significant and would have harmed us elsewhere.

As for Collingwood:

They really haven't addressed their primary needs yet and really haven't got the resources to do much about it.

Their greatest weakness last year was their deficit at KP at both ends of the ground. I suspect that is still the case and they're putting too many eggs in the hopes that Mihocek (32 comes back fully from his injury), Cox (34 in March) doesn't drop off, Jeremy Howe (35 before the season starts) can play another great year, and McStay (5 games this year) can bounce back.

They've improved their strengths and really hoping the stickytape holds their weaknesses together.

People are too caught up making this a pissing contest with Collingwood and making out we 'lost' the trade.

We didn't lose anything - we had a plan and stuck to it. We wanted him but at the right price.!

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVII - 'Loopy' Gone Off The Rails

Remove this Banner Ad

Back