Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVII - 'Loopy' Gone Off The Rails

Remove this Banner Ad

We overrate Kemp because SOS looked past so many superior options to draft him - still, pay up Stains or gtfo
We underrate him because he's almost aggressively been misused to cover a wonky LM strategy..
It's understandable that someone would see him as a cheap acquisition that has a bit of ability.

Kemp and pick 3 for 7 and 8?
Posted the same a few pages back, didn't get a positive response!!

Note, I'm not in favour of trading Brodie, I think he has a lot to offer. But he's not untouchable. If we get a good deal, then it should be considered. St Kilda won't do a straight trade for 8 (or 7). We're not doing it for 32. So it would have to be something in between.

I think the above is reasonable for both sides. Gives us two top 10 picks. Perhaps we get a later pick, or later future to go with it.

Also like Arrow's suggestion of a swap for Saints' F1.

We underrate him because he's almost aggressively been misused to cover a wonky LM strategy..
It's understandable that someone would see him as a cheap acquisition that has a bit of ability.
Underrated, overrated...

I think he's neither. He's basically what he is. An athletic 3rd tall sized player prone to mistakes. His good looks amazing, but he often offsets the great with a WTF moment. Gettable for the right price but not one you just push out the door.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Found his position in the forward line. He is a real confidence player.

think Kemp is so overrated. the club prefer SOS as the 3rd tall forward/ruck. his athletic sure and good hands sure but he is undersized for a 2nd/3rd tall and gets knocked under the ball easily. athletically gifted bang average footballer. haynes insurance for this year and can get DGB and also make a play for SDK next year
DGB?
Not up to it athletically, carries some attitude concerns & now looks to be available as a DFA. Stylistically, is another that seems more comfortable playing as a third tall.
There's someone being overrated & it isn't Kemp..

Hope not. Gets good points value for Kemp (#19), but puts our picks back into the 12 and 14 blanket quality area, and away from the top tier.

This.

The term "even draft" is getting thrown around a lot, but I don't think people are really thinking about what that means.

It's not that the top 30 kids are all as good as each other. There's a clear top 5-6, who themselves are hard to split, which means at any of those picks a club could feasibly get the kid they rate at 1 or 2.

Then the next 20-25 are hard to rank as well.

This raises the value of Picks 3-6.
It raises the value of picks in the 20s.
If anything, picks in the teens are devalued slightly because you could get comparable players in the 20s. The benefit of the picks in the teens is range of choice, rather than talent.

If the Saints are making a genuine attempt at Kemp, they're gonna have to get creative. A pick in the teens would be preferable for us, as it would give us the opportunity to address a specific need. A pick in the 20s might get us a similarly talented player, but we might find ourselves without a KPD or decent small forward to select, so we'd either be reaching for a lower rated player, or taking a player who gets stuck behind a bunch of established players indefinitely.

Long story short - the Saints early picks are too early for Kemp, their later picks are too late, and we don't have access to any tradeable picks we can use to "balance" the deal from our side. Best option I can see is they give us their future first, we maybe toss them back our future second (from Brisbane). Benefit for now is that we free up a list spot for a DFA in an area of need and save some money this year which we could use to frontload some existing contracts to make resigning TDK easier. We also get back into the first round for next season, probably with another top 10 pick.

I heard that Saints were sniffing around Kemp several days ago but as nothing had come out thought it may have been rebuked.

It's not beyond the realms that Kemp may be looking to move though, was dropped quite a few times (and prior to the prelim) and may not feel assured of his future at Carlton.

Interesting.

If Kemp and Kennedy got us Berry in the late teens I'd drive them to Linton street myself... Id also tell them I'm sorry for sending them to such a rabble
Even early to mid 20s pick would be useful - might nab Oliver of the Harrison variety, Moraes etc .. or even take a punt on Riley Bice .. plenty of options to help us fill speed/kicking deficiencies in the team.

Underrated, overrated...

I think he's neither. He's basically what he is. An athletic 3rd tall sized player prone to mistakes. His good looks amazing, but he often offsets the great with a WTF moment. Gettable for the right price but not one you just push out the door.
how can you know what he is if you've never/rarely played him in his primary position?
Doc, Scotland & Simpson all had a defensive error in them, we just didn't try to play them on dangerous forwards..

95 premiership player on socials:

SOS would be envious of the trade Austin made earlier so is doing what SOS always does and is seeing what he can shake loose.

Kempy is an easy target given they lost Battle and he's out of contract after next year.

It's really not worth a second's thought.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVII - 'Loopy' Gone Off The Rails

Remove this Banner Ad

Back