Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVII

Remove this Banner Ad

Fit is just as important as talent.

Jeremy Cameron is one of the best players in the league. But paying $3M a year for Charlie, Harry and Jezza would be irresponsible.

Melbourne had two of the best rucks in the league in Gawn and Grundy and realised that wasn't an effective use of talent and resources.

Clayton Oliver (when sober) is almost on par with Cripps (yes, really). But playing Cripps, Oliver, Walsh, Cerra, Hewett in the side would be unbalanced.

Managing a list and salary cap is so much more than just recruiting all the best players.

We are arguably one of the most unbalanced lists out there - we have the best spine in the league and one of the best inside midfields but we have too many holes elsewhere.

Brayshaw is an absolute gun. But I dare say we could spend $1M a year elsewhere that would improve our list more.
Apart from that, Jezza is nearly 80, so wouldn't cost that much you'd think.

#TheresOnlyOneJezza

Cerra is just down to fitness. If his hammy issues are sorted, then he'll earn his way next year, no doubt - a fit and firing Cerra makes us much better. If not, and he struggles to put together a decent season, then we'd only get peanuts for him....would suck to see him traded for next to nothing, or worse, delisted.
Didn't Cez recently go overseas and visit a witchdoctor or something to fix his hammies?

Could see Hewett going the way of Owies and Kennedy in 12 months time - good player, does a job, but as the list evolves he's definitely not guaranteed a starting spot, and he'd be well within his rights to expect starting 22 money. If he's willing to do a Cottrell and take big unders for a bit of longevity, then he's great depth, but I think it'd be his last chance for a payday and a side like St Kilda, Essendon or Richmond might be prepared to offer him 3 years on enticing money.

Cerra is just down to fitness. If his hammy issues are sorted, then he'll earn his way next year, no doubt - a fit and firing Cerra makes us much better. If not, and he struggles to put together a decent season, then we'd only get peanuts for him....would suck to see him traded for next to nothing, or worse, delisted.

He won’t get traded, or delisted. He is 25, who had an injury interrupted year. He’s a gun at his best. I would be shocked if Cez leaves our club via trade after only four years and he isn’t playing here for years to come.

Last edited:
He won’t get traded, or delisted. He is 25, who had an injury interrupted year. He’s a gun at his best. I would be shocked in Cez leaves our club via trade after only four years and he isn’t playing here for years to come.

I agree there's virtually no chance he gets delisted, but I could easily see him leaving. This next contract will be his big one. He won't get another shot at it. If he can't get through most of next year, I don't see how we could offer him the type of deal he would be after. Someone else with more cap space will take the risk regardless of how his next year pans out with injuries.

I agree there's virtually no chance he gets delisted, but I could easily see him leaving. This next contract will be his big one. He won't get another shot at it. If he can't get through most of next year, I don't see how we could offer him the type of deal he would be after. Someone else with more cap space will take the risk regardless of how his next year pans out with injuries.
I guess with us it depends on what our cap looks like next year. Some big decisions to be made and Cez isn’t the only big extension decision next year. There is an even bigger one with TDK. If Gov doesn’t get another offer at Carlton, that money coming off the books will help massively.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVII

Remove this Banner Ad

Back