Bluemour 'Silly Season' Edition XXXIV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Owies,Newman, Cotters, LOB aren’t middle of the road. They are barely AFL level players. So many holes we could try and fill - Eg mid sized marking forward . Pies have a whole team of them, we have SOS. Game plan of just kicking it long to Harry and Charlie needs to evolve .

All of those might not make our round 1 team. On match day replace Cotters and Lob with Acres/Walsh on wing. Owies to give way to Motlop, Durdin, Fisher and cunners. Newman the most likely to keep his spot but would also be at risk from a back 6 of: Docherty, Saad, Williams, Weitering, Young and McGovern. He might be fighting for a bench spot.

I’m backing TCP and Forty3s info atm, it’s Acres and draft. Maybe a DFA if it suits.

Yeah, there's no reason for us to take Bowes even if we had the salary space.

We don't need to spend big on another half back when we have Williams, Doc and Saad on good coin. Newman and Boyd are good players and best 22 worthy.

We just need another depth option which can just be drafting a kid on min wage.

Yeah, there's no reason for us to take Bowes even if we had the salary space.

We don't need to spend big on another half back when we have Williams, Doc and Saad on good coin. Newman and Boyd are good players and best 22 worthy.

We just need another depth option which can just be drafting a kid on min wage.

We need wingers, outside run. I’d prefer we target another seasoned player as such on the cheap if we can. Boyd showed he’s up to the level just before he got injured and could finally be a diamond in the rough we’ve unearthed and could be another we rely on at HB now. We are stacked there now.

Make smart moves this year, get your 2 or maybe even 3 bigger names that fit as last pieces of the puzzle in the next 2-3 years if possible. Pick 7 and Bowes as a salary dump is a good deal, but you don’t blow your salary cap out of the water for it. GC have ****ed up and they are trying to reset.

Swear around this time of year we just want the sugar hit of bringing in more decent players from other sides - and we’ve been spoiled over the past couple of off seasons.

I like Bowes as a player and prospect but our priority now is to retain our best players and start to chip away at the cap over the coming seasons so we’ve got more flexibility with our list management.

Bringing in someone like Acres, who fills a specific need, is as good as it is going to get for the next couple of off seasons IMO.

McGovern’s big contract comes off the books next year, maybe we consider our options with Williams if he’s still struggling to get on the park - other than that I’d rather we back ourselves at the draft and find quality best 22 players.

Question - Salary Cap

If a player signs on for say 5x $500,000 = $2,500,000…

Due to our cap we need to pay $300k, $300k, $500k, $700k &
$700k…

Does the player actually just get paid the flat $500kpa and the erratic
$300k, $300k, $500k, $700k &
$700k is for cap accounting purposes?

Or do they get paid the erratic amounts each year? Wouldn’t they pay more in tax?

Get paid what is stipulated each year, although it can be renegotiated if suits player and club

Sam Edmund (sen) said most clubs are still interested in the pick 7 & Bowes…

Geelong want Bowes because they think he is a great player mid/wing and they wouldn’t sneeze at pick 7…

All clubs are trying to spread his money over multiple years, because nobody can afford it… If he declines to do this then no club except maybe North would do the deal…

Maybe we are still in with a shot, if he agrees to spread the money over multiple years…

IMO he goes to Geelong they don’t miss their targets…

If the deal falls over and we had the cap space… Would we offer Gold Coast 1x Year salary cap space of $700-$800k for pick 7?

Last edited:
Swear around this time of year we just want the sugar hit of bringing in more decent players from other sides - and we’ve been spoiled over the past couple of off seasons.

I like Bowes as a player and prospect but our priority now is to retain our best players and start to chip away at the cap over the coming seasons so we’ve got more flexibility with our list management.

Bringing in someone like Acres, who fills a specific need, is as good as it is going to get for the next couple of off seasons IMO.

McGovern’s big contract comes off the books next year, maybe we consider our options with Williams if he’s still struggling to get on the park - other than that I’d rather we back ourselves at the draft and find quality best 22 players.
Yup 2023 end season definitely rescheduling contract or delisting /trade McGovern will help create flexibility, if Williams & Martin can’t stay on the park for at half a season at least with impact its time to reconsider them too, the perennially injured and I & 2 year contacts will be scrutinized.
So plenty of room can be created quickly, if Austin is not reluctant to clear some dead wood. Really hope it’s not necessary, but we can’t stagnant.
Reckon 2023 Trade / Draft periods will be massive for us.
Charlie & Harry aren’t getting any younger.

In that case... FarkNarkle...

Just gave me a 12th man flashback.

Darrell: Pearce off Jack, Gibbs on
Jack: What did you f*n say?
Darrell: Pearce off Jack, Gibbs on
Jack: Don't tell me to piss off farknarkle
Darrell: HohHoh, Big Jack's king hit me, and I've gone crashing to the deck

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All clubs are trying to spread his money over multiple years, because nobody can afford it… If he declines to do this then no club except maybe North would do the deal…

Maybe we are still in with a shot, if he agrees to spread the money over multiple years…
Clubs shooting themselves in the foot somewhat if this is how they are truly approaching the situation.

Why would a player agree to back-end their contract if this is the risk you run.

Clubs shooting themselves in the foot somewhat if this is how they are truly approaching the situation.

Why would a player agree to back-end their contract if this is the risk you run.

Happened with Treloar I believe, not 100% though

After 2018, they wanted to keep the list together to have another crack, but cap was bulging

Treloar (and a couple of others) was asked if they could push some current salary back, but that just delayed the inevitable

This year, apparently they also told Grundy to take a pay cut, or he would need him to find another home

McGovern’s big contract comes off the books next year,
Not sure this is the case. Likely had a front-loaded contract, so his wages in 2023 might not be too dissimilar to his next base salary.

I think we'll be in a similar if not worse position for the next two years with regard to flexibility in the salary cap (short of a surprise departure).

This isn't necessarily a bad thing though if it forces more astute movements and we hit the draft successfully.

I don't really care about getting Bowes as such. Quality player but we don't exactly have a glaring need for him. Pick 7 is what I want. If we have to trade a future 1st for it, not so much.

I just don't see any reason he would come to us. Our midfield is fairly full unless a player has x factor or express pace and we are find for defenders. On the other hand, Dangerfield wants him at the Cats, their midfield is old as ****, and they are the reigning premiers. Unless he looks at the Lions in order to stay in Queensland, it's Geelong or bust for mine.

Personally, Gold Coast gave him the contract. He should stay there and make them pay up. He's well within his rights.

Oh, and I don't think we have any major contracts to come off our books next year. Gov and Martin would have already received the lion's share of their money. With any luck, so has Williams.

Happened with Treloar I believe, not 100% though

After 2018, they wanted to keep the list together to have another crack, but cap was bulging

Treloar (and a couple of others) was asked if they could push some current salary back, but that just delayed the inevitable

This year, apparently they also told Grundy to take a pay cut, or he would need him to find another home

Yes from memory that’s what happened with Treloar and is now happening with Bowes - Club asks player to back end their deal at some point after deal is made. Player agrees because they want to help Club out. A year or two later Club can’t get others to agree to back end future years our and now can’t afford to pay said player who agreed to back end. So Club offloads said player to another club. Suddenly the fans think said player is the bad guy here not willing to renegotiate their last few years or add on additional years for free or low wage.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Question - Salary Cap

If a player signs on for say 5x $500,000 = $2,500,000…

Due to our cap we need to pay $300k, $300k, $500k, $700k &
$700k…

Does the player actually just get paid the flat $500kpa and the erratic
$300k, $300k, $500k, $700k &
$700k is for cap accounting purposes?

Or do they get paid the erratic amounts each year? Wouldn’t they pay more in tax?
Once over 150k or so you're in the top tax bracket so tax doesn't really matter.

Obviously, me too, but I'm not currently on 300 thousand plus dollars a year. Were I on an average AFL player wage, above a certain amount of money I don't know how much I'd care about the excess, given my inability to spend it as I choose, hampered as I am by the need to stay fit and not travel during the season.

To an extent, that much money is sufficiently outside my experience that I have no context other than what I'm informed about how they think from the information that's released.

Given there are players on a million a year, I suspect that they, like anyone else, will take as much as they can get.

Bowes is not taking a deal to move clubs which sees him extend his career for any number of additional years without earning a single cent more than he's already slated to earn on his current 2 year contract. Security is only beneficial insofar as it ensures some financial gain for the extended duration.

3x $300k is better than 2x $400k for a player who may not ever see a third year after the two-year contract ended. But offering them 4x $200k is infinitely worse for them than 2x $400k, because the sooner they earn the money the sooner it can be invested, and for the additional two years they'd naturally expect to be earning something (either in or outside of football).

As wonderful a notion as it is, Bowes is not coming to Carlton and smoothing his current two year deal over a longer term unless he stands to gain (you would think) $400k or more for each additional year.

I know in the NFL it's common to get loads of money upfront at signing and the actual yearly salary paid doesn't match with what's against the cap.

But their cap is far looser, there's so many ways they can massage the figures to fit in. I don't think the AFL is quite as lenient, so I'd believe the cap hit matches the actual salary paid.

If it's $600k against the cap then the salary would be $600k.

Bowes wants to come to Victoria

If I was North, I would go hard

North future 1st ( top 6 in a strong draft) and compo 2nd for 5, 7 and Bowes

North go to the draft with 1, 5, 7 and Bowes in hand

GC release Bowes, have 2, 1st rounders next year, where they have 3 academy kids in the top 20
Thinking similar but with Essendon. Well known they have enormous cap space and I suspect they'll be 10-15th next year. I'd be trading next year's first for that package from the Suns and hoping Cadman gets through to a pick and pairing him with a midfielder.

Agree totally with this, we need to focus on bringing in more young talent via the draft this year and hopefully the McGovern/Martin/Williams contracts start to wash out in 12 months time, as l am sure Martin/McGovern won't be receiving anywhere near their initial contracts if they are to remain once their contract expires.

Think we are in a poor but manageable salary cap position, due to decisions of the past, which are starting to effect us now…

Being such a poor performing club, has meant we are having to over pay for recruits and our own…

Personally I’m happy to not chase any high $$$ recruits and overpay any more…

However I’d do everything I could to get the best draft hand and as many shots at a players as I could over the next few years…

The next few drafts are the players that are going to carry us through the Tasmania draft concessions, they will be starting to hit their prime at this time…

Thinking similar but with Essendon. Well known they have enormous cap space and I suspect they'll be 10-15th next year. I'd be trading next year's first for that package from the Suns and hoping Cadman gets through to a pick and pairing him with a midfielder.

I think he might go to Essendon as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back