Bluemour 'Silly Season' Edition XXXIV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont think we'd trade him, or that we would entertain it. I would though. But Im just a guy on the internet from Brisbane. What I'd do is irrelevant to the club.

Im not sure TDK is ready to be our number one ruck yet, and Im not sure of his fit next to Charlie and Harry. I guess we'll see how it plays out.
I said at the start of the season that he was at least 2 years away from being ready and stand by it.

A year of games was great for development, but clear detriment to the team performance. Clearly we had no other option to break eve , which absolutely cost us a few wins.

The primary issue is he's currently absolutely awful as a key forward too. He just has no forward craft or intelligence. They need to have a brief look at him in defence in early preseason, not because his brother is successful there but because he is terrible forward of the ball. If they detect some natural defensive instinct then keep working at it. If he's completely at sea in defence then we just need to go back to trying to teach him to play forward BUT just not at AFL level until he improves.

He can't play 70% forward with his current skill set. It's essentially playing a man down.

The primary issue is he's currently absolutely awful as a key forward too. He just has no forward craft or intelligence. They need to have a brief look at him in defence in early preseason, not because his brother is successful there but because he is terrible forward of the ball. If they detect some natural defensive instinct then keep working at it. If he's completely at sea in defence then we just need to go back to trying to teach him to play forward BUT just not at AFL level until he improves.

He can't play 70% forward with his current skill set. It's essentially playing a man down.
Glad someone else thinks this, sometimes I think I'm on crazy pills as everyone seems to say he can play forward and is a forward/ruckman. I have never seen him show any forward nous at all, the only assets he brings inside 50 are be tall and take a good mark occasionally if he has a free run and jump. He has no idea what space to occupy, when to lead, when to fly (if other keys are in the area etc) and like you say, it's essentially playing a man down.

🎼🎶🎵🎤🎧🎸

The Year of the Cat
Al Stewart (2022 coach ella mix)

On a morning with some new trade movements
And a club where they turn back time
You go strolling through retirees like Brian Cook
Contemplating a coup

He comes out of the Bay in a silk suit running
Like the club that he, used to reign

Don't bother asking for explanations
He’ll just tell you that he came

In the year of the cat

He doesn't give you time for questions
As he signs up your old captain
And he’s followed with a sense of his direction

Our flag window reappears

Navy blue tiled walls near Princes’ stalls
There's a hidden door he leads you to
These days, he says, I feel my club
Just needs a legend running through

The year of the cat

While Joel looks at you so cooly
And his eyes shine like the moon in the bay
He makes more sense than Bachar Houli
So you sign him, to find some more grunt inside

The year of the cat

Well morning moves and you're still thinking
And the bus and Tram 19 are gone
And you've thrown away your choice you've lost your ticket

So you have to stay on

But the drum-beat strains of that loss remain
In the rhythm of Melbourne at midday
You know always you're bound by blue
But for now you're going to say

It’s the year of the cat

🐈 🎤🎸🎶🎵🐈‍⬛
I have no idea what tune I am supposed to be singing this in.

I have no idea what any of it means.

But I love it anyway...

Glad someone else thinks this, sometimes I think I'm on crazy pills as every says he can play forward and I have never seen him show any forward nous at all. The only think he can do is be tall and take a good mark. He has no idea what space to occupy, when to lead, when to fly (if other keys are in the area etc) and like you say, it's essentially playing a man down.
People are just excited by him jumping high. Shiny shiny toys and all that.

Now, could be become a serviceable forward? Probably. It is going to take years of training a person who has absolute no innate forward craft.

Get him kicking 50 goals in the vfl next season, running some decent patterns and then try get that to translate to AFL.

That said, I think it'd negligent to not have a bit of a look at him as a defender early in preason. It's not going to waste a lot of time and might be useful.

Between now and then he needs to be on 4000 calories a day, 250g of protein and just squatting and deadlifting like a boss.

Yeah definitely the signs are good, especially given his age/experience and what we paid to get him. Let's hope he can come out of his shell more as he gains experience and play with more conviction particularly when going for marks under pressure situations.

As macky99 said, he was at his best when Weiters was out.... suggesting he can step up and his best is yet to come!

Makes sense to keep Setters un-signed for now if Paddy is gathering interest. If we feel it’s a strong offer for Dow, we should do it. As much as I think we should keep him for the year. I’m guessing it’s whatever is going to strengthen our draft hand the most, Forty? Doesn’t seem as we are looking to ontrade anything for another player apart from the Jones compo for Acres maybe?

There are multiple clubs interested in Dow. Although his preference is to stay, it would appear the club is looking to keep one of Dow or Setterfield. Depending on who could land us the best trade.

It’s interesting that Dow will probably get more interest from other clubs but Setters actually played pretty good in our last couple of games and was more valuable to us than Dow but I guess it’s demand supply and upside

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

There are multiple clubs interested in Dow. Although his preference is to stay, it would appear the club is looking to keep one of Dow or Setterfield. Depending on who could land us the best trade.
Makes perfect sense.

Unfortunate for the boys, as I like both, but it makes sense as our inside midfield depth is fine.

On SM-A515F using BigFooty.com mobile app

It’s interesting that Dow will probably get more interest from other clubs but Setters actually played pretty good in our last couple of games and was more valuable to us than Dow but I guess it’s demand supply and upside

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Dow is a clearance mid who lacks versatility. At the right club he will thrive, Carlton is not it I fear

On SM-A515F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Cheers for that Forty3 :thumbsu:

As much as Paddy has apparently expressed interest in staying at the club and taking his chances, I honestly reckon it would be better for both Dow and Carlton if he had a fresh start at a new club. It hasn't really worked with us.

He's obviously not in Vossy's plans moving forward - and if Cunners can stay relatively injury free, and Carroll potentially having a break out year, he'll just get pushed further back. Not to mention Philp and even possibly Kemp.

I'm hoping we hang onto Setters - he shone at the back end of the season when he was thrown back into the engine room.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it was me I am shopping Dow around to the highest bidder and keeping Setters.

If the right club wants him and the offer is a 2nd rd pick ( or dare I say higher ) he is gone IMO. If we don’t have a worse run with injuries next season Dow will be lucky to play 5 senior games as he is just not from what I have seen an AFL caliber midfielder. Just a great junior that excels at VFL level but is caught out making the jump to the seniors. He is not alone either and plenty of kids taken high in drafts have sailed in this ship.

If it was me I am shopping Dow around to the highest bidder and keeping Setters.

If the right club wants him and the offer is a 2nd rd pick ( or dare I say higher ) he is gone IMO. If we don’t have a worse run with injuries next season Dow will be lucky to play 5 senior games as he is just not from what I have seen an AFL caliber midfielder. Just a great junior that excels at VFL level but is caught out making the jump to the seniors. He is not alone either and plenty of kids taken high in drafts have sailed in this ship.

I'd be very surprised if someone offered anywhere near a 2nd round pick for him.

I'd be very surprised if someone offered anywhere near a 2nd round pick for him.
True but until you shop him around who knows and we are surely testing the waters on that front. Lots of desperate clubs out there who may think they can get the best out of him and willing to gamble on it as next season his value will be even lower and it is no use waiting as he plays VFL 90% of the time.

I think Dow and Cripps cannot coexist in the same midfield.

Cripps can kick goals and take marks floating inside forward 50, but put him in there as a permanent tall target and he gets bodied aerially. His instincts are to get the ball and get it out; that he's come this far as a forward already is ****ing impressive. But he's ostensibly a single position player, because he's so strong in his position.

Dow is just not as good at the thing he and Cripps do well, and without a second position or a better tank he's not going to take that position from Cripps.

Bowes' salary is the problem. Taking that on after Cripps, Charlie, Walsh etc have taken less than what they're worth would be dumb.

If we want a second first rounder this year, chances are the only way we can make that happen is by trading our future first.

If the plan is to hit the draft this year, then I don't see why they wouldn't explore that option. Otherwise, going to the draft with only 2 picks in the top 30 isn't exactly something I'd call "hitting the draft"...

Agreed but if we could clear Setters and Dow off the books i dont see why we couldnt entertain bowes (give suns a future 2nd) and with the dow & setters picks plus our jones compo, upgrade them into say brisbanes pick... and head to the draft with 7 10 and 15, which is 'hitting the draft'

Last edited:
Trade both, if we got good deals...
Both are fringe players, who have likely hit their peek...

Were better off getting something for them this year, than holding onto them and likely delisting them next year...
Though if the depth factor out ways the deals we'd get, then just keep them

Unpopular opinion: at this point Young has shown more than TDK.

If you're just looking at potential, then sure, you'd back TDK. Higher ceiling and all that.

But if you're purely looking at output, well, they both had to step up this year in the absence of the senior player in their role. The effort shown by both was outstanding. But Young was the more effective of the two.

Agreed but if we could clear Setters and Dow off the books i dont see why we couldnt entertain bowes (give suns a future 2nd) and with the dow & setters picks plus our jones compo, upgrade them into say brisbanes pick... and head to the draft with 7 10 and 15, which is 'hitting the draft'

I agree, this should be looked at seriously.

#7 might get us a gun of a kid like Phillipou!

Dow as part of the package - there's likely 300k a year off the net....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back