Bluemour Discussion XXXV - 'Loopy' Season has begun

Remove this Banner Ad

The Berry info, in addition to our Cooper Lord acquisition is alarming IMO. Voss wants more inside hard nut tackling machines to double down on the game plan as opposed to adjusting it.

Berry reads like a VFL signing... slow and second to the ball since his junior years.

Surely we need some quick fukkers not bulls ??

Yes concerning when we really need pace, elite foot skills and decision making.

The game is changing with the AFL obviously intent on dialling down the physicality, reckon we’re gonna see more N Daicos types going forward.

We desperately need to add pace, not double-down on the slow, contested game plan. Pass on Berry.

The josh weddle comment makes us look like a laughing stock
Weirdly, we have made a fair few strong comebacks in Q4 so I don't really get it. Also fitness has not been our problem this year.
Injuries yeah. But we have often been fitter than oppo.
All I know is I can't wait to smithereens these cocky little pricks in 2025.
Bring it on.
And get us some decent defence people to go with Doc and Weiters please.
Fix whatever has been wrong with Saady too.

Last edited:

Yes concerning when we really need pace, elite foot skills and decision making.

The game is changing with the AFL obviously intent on dialling down the physicality, reckon we’re gonna see more N Daicos types going forward.
Voss seems to want to recreate the midfield he captained.

Weirdly, we have made a fair few strong comebacks in Q4 so I don't really get it. Also fitness has not been our problem this year.
Injuries yeah. But we have often been fitter than oppo.
All I know is I can't wait to smithereens these cocky little pricks in 2025.
Bring it on.
And get us some decent defence people to go with Doc and Weiters please.
Fix whatever has been wrong with Saady too.

We've been completely incapable of maintaining a 4 quarter effort level throughout almost every game in the past 2 months. Not sure we can hang our hat on our fitness levels. Q4 comebacks are great but they usual follow 2 quarters of looking exhausted.

Bro we are signing inside mids so we don’t end up like Collingwood completely reliant on old men

We have: Carroll, Hollands, Binns, Cowan, and Lord who are all in the 19 to 21 range that project as being capable of being inside mids or certainly spending time there when they physically develop.

At least one of the Camporeale's will be able to play some on the inside.

The last thing we need is more fringe (at best) inside mids when we have so many other holes in our 22 that need fixing in the short term.

Great list (on an individual basis) but the holes take away our ability to reach its potential.

We've been completely incapable of maintaining a 4 quarter effort level throughout almost every game in the past 2 months. Not sure we can hang our hat on our fitness levels. Q4 comebacks are great but they usual follow 2 quarters of looking exhausted.

It's a pace issue rather than a fitness level issue.

We've struggled all year against the clubs that use speed to beat us. When the pace leaves the game and it comes down to fitness we dismantle the opposition. It's happened all year -- from round 0 through to now.

Many of our issues would be solved if we added two or three dynamic speedsters at the expense of slower types.

Last edited:
Yep…. Black, Lappin, Aker, Power….. hell even Hart & Ashcroft types would be significant upgrades and have more hurt factor compared to Walsh, Cerra, Hewett & Kennedy !!
I'd also take a Clark Keating type ahead of Pitto - Pitto could play like Tarzan but opts to compete like Jane.

Pretty sure the recent Bluemour meant Joe instead of Sam.

That's what I'm telling myself so I can sleep at night.

Would you believe it if I told you that it was about neither but was about Darren.

Let that go through to the keeper.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have: Carroll, Hollands, Binns, Cowan, and Lord who are all in the 19 to 21 range that project as being capable of being inside mids or certainly spending time there when they physically develop.

The last thing we need is more fringe (at best) inside mids when we have so many other holes in our 22 that need fixing in the short term.

Great list (on an individual basis) but the holes take away our ability to reach its potential.

We've struggled all year against the clubs that use speed to beat us. When the pace leaves the game and it comes down to fitness we dismantle the opposition. It's happened all year -- from round 0 through to now.

Many of our issues would be solved if we added two or three dynamic speedsters at the expense of slower types.
are we sure Binns projects as an inside mid?

I think our stocks are skinnier than we like...
Lij is clearly capable of going through the middle but projects (to me at least) as more high half forward at least 65%.
Moo the same but back around the same proportion.

Cez, Walsh, Jack Carroll (possible trade bait but I'd keep him) and Lord... 24, 25, 22 and 19... only two of these bankable on class - durability an issue - but who else?
Cripps, Hewitt and Kennedy 29, 28, 27 respectively.

Makes sense to add decent mids of any description in that 19 - 23 bracket.

Last edited:
I don’t get the Berry interest, besides tackling his game lacks in every other aspect we actually require, speed skill creative-goal kicker…
Can we actually identify and trade/draft in the very types our list desperately needs we know how unbalanced it is in general and for the way the game is played…

are we sure Binns projects as an inside mid?

I think our stocks are skinnier than we like...
Lij is clearly capable of going through the middle but projects (to me at least) as more high half forward at least 65%.
Moo the same but back around the same proportion.

Cez, Walsh, Jack Carroll (possible trade bait but I'd keep him) and Lord... 24, 25, 22 and 19... only two of these bankable on class - durability an issue - but who else?
Cripps, Hewitt and Kennedy 29, 28, 27 respectively.

Makes sense to add decent mids of any description in that 19 - 23 bracket.
Yeah, I see Berry as more of a Kennedy type - a diesel engine mid you can plug and play into any midfield and bet on him getting his 20-25 and 5ish clearances.

I have seen him play some very good football at Adelaide too though, as well as some not so good footy. Though he is young. Both he and his brother have higher ceilings than I think most would acknowledge.

I don't know, if he's cheap I don't see why we wouldn't. He is good enough to play AFL football, he's just not a world beater. He really should be playing.

I don’t get the Berry interest, besides tackling his game lacks in every other aspect we actually require, speed skill creative-goal kicker…
Can we actually identify and trade/draft in the very types our list desperately needs we know how unbalanced it is in general and for the way the game is played…
we aren't much good at tackling though...so many oppo players slip through or brush our would be tacklers aside...apart from cripps of course

Fair comments. If the Berry interest is true I don't get it. Also, depends on price

Cripps still has a few years
I'm doubtful on Hewetts long term future as he is slow and can't kick it far
Lord is another similar type to Berry
Cowan could be a mid, so could Kemp but our coaches don't seem to like change
Kennedy still has many years ahead and is underrated
Walsh & Cerra if fit are very good players and still young
Elijah I have real hopes for. He has run and skill
Wilson I rate highly and has run
Ollie could be mid

and the game is changing. The intro of 6-6-6 and standing on the mark has advantaged sides that run and take it on

I think we have enough contested inside types. More than enough

Anyone we recruit should have decent leg speed and very good ball use. IMO that's what we need

Last edited:
we aren't much good at tackling though...so many oppo players slip through or brush our would be tacklers aside...apart from cripps of course
No we’re not, you’re right, it’s another aspect of our game that has been mostly below par for a number of years…
We can’t afford to have another player who is great in one part of his game but lacks other qualities to our needs, he is virtually another Fogarty in output…
22yrs 55 games 11 goals

I think we have enough contested inside types. More than enough

I'll say this.

You can never have enough but with one caveat.
The game has changed. They can't be one paced anymore. Otherwise the competition will leave them in the dust.

Berry may be AFL quality depth nut he's not the right depth on our side. If we add more inside mid options they need to possess pace and offer versatility. That's not Berry.

Berry would be a better fit at an * who is still crying out for inside mid depth. More likely to get games and they can cover his weaknesses.

The only way he fits is if we trade out one of our older one paced mids but I'm of the opinion you don't really win when you're swapping the deck chairs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bluemour Discussion XXXV - 'Loopy' Season has begun

Remove this Banner Ad

Back