Bluemour Discussion XXXV - 'Loopy' Season has begun

Remove this Banner Ad

Tbh good, now do something about it Carlton.
Saw a clip during the week about Jordan Lewis I think it was saying that the "line in the sand" game against Essendon was a turning point for their club. They were a talented side but got pushed around up to that point and from then on took on a hard edge that led them to the ultimate success and made them one of the best modern day sides.

We are too soft and weak. We need players to stand up, know that they are the strongest and toughest players out there, prove it, and be better than their opponent. It's simple psychology.

It's a pace issue rather than a fitness level issue.

We've struggled all year against the clubs that use speed to beat us. When the pace leaves the game and it comes down to fitness we dismantle the opposition. It's happened all year -- from round 0 through to now.

Many of our issues would be solved if we added two or three dynamic speedsters at the expense of slower types.

I agree pace has been an issue for us for a few years. But we had the same players on the park when we destroyed GWS in the first quarter then looked like we were running through 2 feet of mud for the rest of the game.

Could be a mental thing too but working that out is the key to winning a premiership. As it stands we are definitely not a 4 quarter team which is exactly the line Vossy was parroting up until the GWS game.

Saw a clip during the week about Jordan Lewis I think it was saying that the "line in the sand" game against Essendon was a turning point for their club. They were a talented side but got pushed around up to that point and from then on took on a hard edge that led them to the ultimate success and made them one of the best modern day sides.

We are too soft and weak. We need players to stand up, know that they are the strongest and toughest players out there, prove it, and be better than their opponent. It's simple psychology.
+1

Hope the players read this.

But we had the same players on the park when we destroyed GWS in the first quarter then looked like we were running through 2 feet of mud for the rest of the game.
The GWS game was where we played with form at selection and then copped in-game injuries which threw our defence out of kilter. Been trying to regain the mojo ever since.

We lack confidence and authority. Even younger opponents sense and know this. I don't know how you can repair this without a significant change of personnel.
I'd been trying to put my finger on it for weeks and weeks then I had a light bulb moment. The term I was looking for was NERVOUS! We play nervous football!

We lack confidence and authority. Even younger opponents sense and know this. I don't know how you can repair this without a significant change of personnel.
I'd been trying to put my finger on it for weeks and weeks then I had a light bulb moment. The term I was looking for was NERVOUS! We play nervous football!

Permeates the whole club unfortunately.
I really thought we’d turned the corner after the Geelong game but we let “it” back in during the 2nd qtr of the GWS game and now it’s back with a vengeance. “It” exists at Essendon these days as well.

The quote “just when I thought I was out they pull me back in” comes to mind with this club.

We also don’t have many 4 quarter players imo. Charlie and Harry the stand outs in this category unfortunately

I agree pace has been an issue for us for a few years. But we had the same players on the park when we destroyed GWS in the first quarter then looked like we were running through 2 feet of mud for the rest of the game.

Could be a mental thing too but working that out is the key to winning a premiership. As it stands we are definitely not a 4 quarter team which is exactly the line Vossy was parroting up until the GWS game.

I think it is a mental thing more than a fitness issue

The Old Dark Navy's posted a significant stat last week that didn't end up meaning very much because injuries and other issues damned us from jump in the Hawthorn game. Those were the quarter-by-quarter breakdowns for the year.

(Before last week) we were ranked very high in 1st and 4th quarter performances this year (ranked in the top 4 for both). This shows that we can mentally flick the switch pretty early in games and we keep the lights on in the fourth quarter. Teams run over us in the middle quarters once they've locked in. For example, we started extremely well against the Sydney Swans but once they were locked in we looked like we were stuck in cement.

Some teams - like GWS - have the inverse of that. They typically play burst footy. They don't often start games welll but once they flick the switch in the middle two quarters the orange tsunami gets rolling. They rely on their pace. They run in waves and they don't stop until the tank is empty. If you're in the game in the fourth quarter teams can come over the top of them.

We need to replace two or three of our slow players with dynamic players. Even if those dynamic players aren't quite as skilled as their slower teammates (we'd hope they are but you can't have everything) the difference to this side would be stunning. Things like the tsunami wouldn't destroy us as easily once it gets going.

Surely we need some quick ****ers not bulls ??
Yeah, I would say that we have the grungy types covered with Crippa, Kennedy & Hewett....all great at the contest but too one paced (no offence to our wonderful captain!) so really lacking break away speed out of the middle!!! E.Hollands has been a very good get for the club and has some leg speed, but we probably need him up forward more......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it is a mental thing more than a fitness issue

The Old Dark Navy's posted a significant stat last week that didn't end up meaning very much because injuries and other issues damned us from jump in the Hawthorn game. Those were the quarter-by-quarter breakdowns for the year.

(Before last week) we were ranked very high in 1st and 4th quarter performances this year (ranked in the top 4 for both). This shows that we can mentally flick the switch pretty early in games and we keep the lights on in the fourth quarter. Teams run over us in the middle quarters once they've locked in. For example, we started extremely well against the Sydney Swans but once they were locked in we looked like we were stuck in cement.

Some teams - like GWS - have the inverse of that. They typically play burst footy. They don't often start games welll but once they flick the switch in the middle two quarters the orange tsunami gets rolling. They rely on their pace. They run in waves and they don't stop until the tank is empty. If you're in the game in the fourth quarter teams can come over the top of them.

We need to replace two or three of our slow players with dynamic players. Even if those dynamic players aren't quite as skilled as their slower teammates (we'd hope they are but you can't have everything) the difference to this side would be stunning. Things like the tsunami wouldn't destroy us as easily once it gets going.

The only player available who even slightly fits the bill is Bailey Smith but he's off to Geelong apparently.

I don't know how to rate last quarter up-tick. Sometimes it's just the opposition going into cruise control because they've already put a gap on us.

The GWS game was where we played with form at selection and then copped in-game injuries which threw our defence out of kilter. Been trying to regain the mojo ever since.

Fair comment.

Right up to round 16 we had something - we were starting to look like a potential premier. Flirted with it after that and eventually threw the whole team off kilter.

The dogs game probably annoyed me more than the GWS one in terms of throwing away a game right from the selection table - bringing in Pitto... disaster.

Watch the ruck duels and the GWS tactic change from the 1st qtr.

There's your answer.

Old news now anyway.

On the bluemour topic, is there any truth or substance behind the Cerra rumours?

Someone must know more. These things don't just appear without some semblance of foundation?

I like this part, only needing 2-3 upgrades on existing positions to really see an improvement in how the team plays. I wouldn’t know how to measure it but i think we also struggle with having a lot of players who dont get much of the ball, when they have a good game we play well but if they dont, there’s 6-7 players who barely touch the ball in a game of footy.

I see there being a tipping point both for pace and then leaving too much to, too few.

Every year plenty of players pop up, there will be players move who would suit us, i just hope we are in to them, the Berry rumour has me a little concerned.

Watch the ruck duels and the GWS tactic change from the 1st qtr.

There's your answer.

Old news now anyway.

On the bluemour topic, is there any truth or substance behind the Cerra rumours?

Someone must know more. These things don't just appear without some semblance of foundation?

I’ve got a tip for you, a lot of rumours start without a semblance of foundation

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I like this part, only needing 2-3 upgrades on existing positions to really see an improvement in how the team plays. I wouldn’t know how to measure it but i think we also struggle with having a lot of players who dont get much of the ball, when they have a good game we play well but if they dont, there’s 6-7 players who barely touch the ball in a game of footy.

I see there being a tipping point both for pace and then leaving too much to, too few.

Every year plenty of players pop up, there will be players move who would suit us, i just hope we are in to them, the Berry rumour has me a little concerned.
Sam Berry was mentioned as a likely Collingwood target a few weeks ago.

FWIW - some second hand information from a couple of players:

- Think they've been training too hard during the week. Voss has been very hard on the group and they are just exhausted.

- Vossy gave a few of the senior players a spray for being selfish (inc. Crippa).

- Players did get a bit cocky after the mid-season wins.

- Players still like Voss but he is very very tough in striving to win.

- Bit of a feeling some just want the season to end so I don't hold out a lot of hope for the last two games.

FWIW - some second hand information from a couple of players:

- Think they've been training too hard during the week. Voss has been very hard on the group and they are just exhausted.

- Vossy gave a few of the senior players a spray for being selfish (inc. Crippa).

- Players did get a bit cocky after the mid-season wins.

- Players still like Voss but he is very very tough in striving to win.

- Bit of a feeling some just want the season to end so I don't hold out a lot of hope for the last two games.

It all gets a bit to hard for this group sometimes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bluemour Discussion XXXV - 'Loopy' Season has begun

Remove this Banner Ad

Back