Blues suspend Betts, Houlihan, Walker

Remove this Banner Ad

And those players always struggle to make an impact early on in the preseaon. Any time you miss a significant part of the pre-season, you will struggle early on.

Maybe ... but these Three players are mature, developed and experienced players who wont have much interuption to there routine .

A 1-3 year player yes maybe but these three players are matured bodied players and can probably rest niggling injury and have a better run at season 2010.

Anyway it might be intereting what the AFL says next week on the Carlton penalties .

This reminds me of similar incidents at Collingwood. We had Tarrant and Johnno hitting the piss and slapped them with a wet noodle. Tarrant has ended up traded to Freo. This was our Fevola.

Now Carlton get another incident, look at it like Dids and Heater lite. Collingwood suspended these guys from H&A games AND finals. The club culture has now changed for the better, and while there may always be individuals who will mess up, the club itself doesn't stand for it.

Instead of sending a message the blues have again gone the wet noodle. Don't be surprised if this comes back around again.

Well put..... and it will continue to come around to bite them until they actually confront the issues they have. Especially with such a young list.

Yes, I what I wrote was my serious opinion. Banning them away from the main playing group for a month will have repercussions on their respective seasons & Would be a massive blow IMHO to be banned from training with your team mates. Carlton used to blow this stuff away, Seems they are trying to change their culture Starting with axing Fev.

Good on them.

What do you think should of been the correct penalty handed down from the Carton Board?[/quote]

As I already stated; If Sticks was serious the suspensions would have taken place during the H&A season.

I'm a bit disappointed the punishment wasn't more severe (particularly in Houlihan's case), but there's no way this is the slap on the wrist everyone is suggesting it is.

This is a good point. I personally think Betts has a horrible attitude and would like to have seen him suspended for the first 3 rounds just as a result of regular misdemeanors. Last season he also trained with the Bullants for a bit because he came back a fatty.

The fat ones usually train with the Hawks.

I'm a bit disappointed the punishment wasn't more severe (particularly in Houlihan's case), but there's no way this is the slap on the wrist everyone is suggesting it is.

Yes it is - while the acts themselves are minor them coming so soon after Fev leaving is unbelievable to say the least. The club was sending a message to all players when they traded fev, obviously the message wasn't heard and if this is the punishment for that then it isn't ever going to be heard.

Seriously reading some of the posts on here you would think the 3 players had killed somebody and you were all out for blood.

What penalty would you have handed down, seriously, get your IHateCarlton glassed off.

Houlihan and Walker were wrestling each other in a public place and were banned, ejected and fined by the club, while it was at the same time of the cruise there is no idication these players were drunk, that has just been speculated due to the time of the incident.

Betts was arrested for being drunk in a public place, he wasn't fighting, urinating or anything liek that, he was locked up to sober off, fined and then fined again by the club.

Of course i'm supportive of my club and its players, but why is the AFL asking StKilda or Essendon what they are doing about their players who are currently under police investigation or due to face court, why isn't the herald sun sitting out those clubs doors???

Double standards here by the AFL, Media and opposition suuporters.

As for the suspension, a month away from normal preseason, sets them back behind the pack, not eligable for NAB means they can't prove their worht for the round 1 clash which means they then have to work harder to get back into the team.

Don't under estimate the penalty...but again in reality what is a fair punishment, all palyers haven't be invloved in anything like this since Houlihan and Lappin were spraying water in the university back in the early 2000's

Glass Houses is all i'm seeing!!

It really concerns me of the lack of ability to read & comprehend among some of BF's posters. Somehow a number of posters have missed the important part of the punishment handed out:
"Houlihan, Walker and Betts will be able to train with Carlton's feeder club, the Northern Bullants, during their suspension."

Training with a VFL club will severely impact on their pre-season training & put them well behind where the AFL listed players will be at come the start of the home & away season. Of the 3 players, only Walker would have the fitness level & commitment to come into consideration for senior selection for the early rounds of the home & away season. For Betts & Houlihan it is virtually a guarantee they will not be playing for Carlton at the start of the home & away season.

Then why not suspend them for the first 3 and look even tougher to everyone and show how serious Carlton are about culture and discipline?

Whilst i don't personally have much against guys getting on the piss and running amok, your post above is all smoke and mirrors.

If they are going to most likely miss anyway, carlton are stupid for not taking the opportunity to really lay down the law.

So the club is either stupid or full of shit! Which one is it?

Glad they didn't dish out a harsher penalty. Then they might have been on the way back to some sort of discipline at the club.

As it stands, a slap on the wrist won't deter anyone down there and the club can keep with the status quo and implode.

I suppose they are following the Collingwood model !

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It really concerns me of the lack of ability to read & comprehend among some of BF's posters. Somehow a number of posters have missed the important part of the punishment handed out:
"Houlihan, Walker and Betts will be able to train with Carlton's feeder club, the Northern Bullants, during their suspension."

Training with a VFL club will severely impact on their pre-season training & put them well behind where the AFL listed players will be at come the start of the home & away season. Of the 3 players, only Walker would have the fitness level & commitment to come into consideration for senior selection for the early rounds of the home & away season. For Betts & Houlihan it is virtually a guarantee they will not be playing for Carlton at the start of the home & away season.

Are you telling me that the players cant do extra training besides the Bullants.

Lets face it as this stage of the pre-season they should be at peak fitness - Pre XMAS is about conditioning and theoretical game planning.
- Post XMAS is about match practise.

Yeah because plenty of people walk straight into the team for rd 1 without playing a single practice match during the preseason, after missing a month of preseason .................. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

They have been suspended for the NAB cup series.

If Carlton lose in Round 1 they will be available for the NAB Challenge series and failing that they can play in practice matches for the Northern Bullants.

Tayte Pears had a restricted preseaon in 2009 and only played in 2 practice matches of which the second one was for Bendigo.

And those players always struggle to make an impact early on in the preseaon. Any time you miss a significant part of the pre-season, you will struggle early on.

You must be in dream land.

What part of the pre-season have they missed or will miss ?

They can still train for the Northern Bullants and do additional work if necessary.

As far as I know all three players have injury free seasons so there are no excuses.

Seriously reading some of the posts on here you would think the 3 players had killed somebody and you were all out for blood.

What penalty would you have handed down, seriously, get your IHateCarlton glassed off.

Houlihan and Walker were wrestling each other in a public place and were banned, ejected and fined by the club, while it was at the same time of the cruise there is no idication these players were drunk, that has just been speculated due to the time of the incident.

Betts was arrested for being drunk in a public place, he wasn't fighting, urinating or anything liek that, he was locked up to sober off, fined and then fined again by the club.

Of course i'm supportive of my club and its players, but why is the AFL asking StKilda or Essendon what they are doing about their players who are currently under police investigation or due to face court, why isn't the herald sun sitting out those clubs doors???

Double standards here by the AFL, Media and opposition suuporters.

As for the suspension, a month away from normal preseason, sets them back behind the pack, not eligable for NAB means they can't prove their worht for the round 1 clash which means they then have to work harder to get back into the team.

Don't under estimate the penalty...but again in reality what is a fair punishment, all palyers haven't be invloved in anything like this since Houlihan and Lappin were spraying water in the university back in the early 2000's

Glass Houses is all i'm seeing!!

Read Damian barrett's article in the HUN 05/01/2010 to find out the AFL's opinion about Carlton's handling of the matter.

It is fair to say that the AFL believes that Carlton hasn't been full and frank in its information passed onto the AFL.

Read Damian barrett's article in the HUN 05/01/2010 to find out the AFL's opinion about Carlton's handling of the matter.

It is fair to say that the AFL believes that Carlton hasn't been full and frank in its information passed onto the AFL.

And your stupid enough to beleive a germalist, ha ha you idiot.

The funny thing is this story led a news break last night on one of the stations. Considering what else is going in in the world with stabbings and terrorist attacks I had to have a giggle about a few guys getting suspended over being drunk and leading the news.

Training with the Bullants is no punishment.

They'll more than likely have a member of Carltons coaching staff present to make sure they're doing the same training as the rest of the Carlton team.

What did people expect? they cheat, lie and steal? Even Juddy dropping bombs about being role models after the fact he stated AFL players are not role models, the guy is a mental midget..

Uh oh! The upstanding citizens of BF have spoken and it seems like Carlton need a lesson in rectitude. Apparently the moral fabric of our club is at stake because these punishments are not severe enough. Fellow Carlton supporters, action is required if we are to save our club. See you outside Visy Park in an hour. I'll bring the banners.

Uh oh! The upstanding citizens of BF have spoken and it seems like Carlton need a lesson in rectitude. Apparently the moral fabric of our club is at stake because these punishments are not severe enough. Fellow Carlton supporters, action is required if we are to save our club. See you outside Visy Park in an hour. I'll bring the banners.

.... and bring the "Save Fev Banners"

Remove this Banner Ad

Blues suspend Betts, Houlihan, Walker

Remove this Banner Ad

Back