Blues V Hawks - Who Will Win?

Remove this Banner Ad

If the hawks are down on the day (or night), buddy and cyril can create goals from nothing...Carlton probably don't have anyone who can do this.

Without wanting or needing to jump to blind defense of the blues there are a handful of guys who regularly create goals from nothing...Betts, Garlett, Walker, even Mitch Robinson. It's the money for jam goals we struggle with at times.

I think the game could well be decided by the performance of Henderson and Schoenmakers.

:eek:

If the Cobbler holds up on the Blues CHF, then Gibson stays on the FF, and everyone else mans up well - with Murphy hopefully continuing his historical blanking of Betts. If Ryan can't hold his own, then others are forced into playing taller roles, and (likely) Puopolo will be forced to play back - robbing our forward line of his speed and aggression.

Similarly, if Henderson can restrict Franklin to "only" 20 touches and a couple of goals, then Jamison should have the better of Hale, meaning Hawthorn will have to rely on the likes of Bruce (2), Rioli (2), and their onball brigadge to contribute the dozen or so goals needed to win.

If he can't, then Jamison is forced to run with Franklin - and having so long out will be lacking match-fitness and will blowup, significantly impacting on the Blues ability to rotate through the midfield.

Without wanting or needing to jump to blind defense of the blues there are a handful of guys who regularly create goals from nothing...Betts, Garlett, Walker, even Mitch Robinson. It's the money for jam goals we struggle with at times.

Maybe..I was more thinking that your money for jam goals a lot of the time are your small forwards, when the ball is locked is for some time..though I understand things are different depending on your perspective.

Hawks by 5 goals.

i really respect where the blues are at, and concede theyve had a good season but i cant go past Hawthorn. I honestly think the two teams midfields are even, the blues will have the edge in the ruck.

I cant go past the hawks forwardline though, and thats what'll get them over the line tonight

Hawks forward line is probably what separates the two sides (Blues minus Waite, Hawks Roughead)

I'm just looking forward to such a huge game! Carn Blues!

just wondering why some people are saying the blues midfield is better, has to be the judd factor surely but he is only 1 player, while he stands out like a beacon everyone else is on a par, this is A Grade midfield vs A Grade midfield, if hodgey puts in a blinder he will kill the blues like judd could us. The blues will win if their mids get on top of ours convincingly and i cant see that happen, its only happened a couple of times this year.

This will be Carlton's Grand Final, unfortunately for them they will go down to the hawks in a close one. Hawks by 9pts.

lets be honest these 2 teams are as evenly matched as any teams in the competition, both teams without 1 of their key tall forwards, without some key backs, both have A grade midfields, have x factor players everywhere and both have giant ruckman (206cm). Its the depth players which could very well decide the game, imo our depth is slightly better.

Tonight sounds like a "Line in the sand" game for Carlton

WHATEVER transpires tonight, the Blues don't expect to come away from a game against Hawthorn bruise-free.
Funny when its another team doing this.

The Blues believe that a hardened Hawthorn tested it physically in their last encounter, back in round 9 of last year. They reckon that the Hawks considered them susceptible to what one might call ''extra physical attention'', and that, to a degree, that Alastair Clarkson's commandos were justified in their assessment, given what happened.

The Hawks, whose season was on the line, attacked the Blues with considerable ferocity, reprising their unsociable best. Chris Judd was collected in a heavy bump, Jeff Garlett was buffeted out of the game by Brent Guerra. Garlett, Eddie Betts and Chris Yarran (then a small forward) didn't kick a goal.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/blues-free-football-20110818-1j0bn.html#ixzz1VSL2iuf5

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blues by seven points. Can just see Garlett and Betts having a big impact. Cracking midfield contests looking forward to it :thumbsu:

Both have great midfields but the Hawks will have the upper hand throughout the night I feel. Have a feeling that the Hawthorn forward line will expose Carlton's defence for large parts of the game.

Hawthorn by 13 points

It's a dead rubber in terms of ladder positions. Hawthorn will most likely finish top 4, Blues 5th.

But it is significant in terms of 'marking territory' and both have a lot to prove. Who's the main contender to the top 2, Carlton or Hawthorn?

I suspect they're pretty even, and that's how the game will pan out.

Carlton really need a top 4 scalp though. They can humiliate lesser sides, but struggle against the top sides. The Hawks also were swept aside by Geelong and Collingwood, but beat West Coast, so they're a leg up in that regard.

Hawks by 10

I have great respect for Hawthorn and I think they are a huge chance to go all the way this year but I think Carlton have more to gain here and that will get them over the line.

Hawks by 15 points...

If the blues play Yarren on Rioli it'll be more. Not sure he is defensive enough and they will lose considerable drive out of defense.

Some great match-ups tonight , should be a cracker:thumbsu:

ps: channel 7 you're a disgrace:thumbsdown:

Remove this Banner Ad

Blues V Hawks - Who Will Win?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back