Bomber right- Saints OVERRATED

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by phatandphreaky
Not pedantic at all. You can't claim Brooks or Gram in your 2001 draft crop, especially when comparing drafting between teams.

Well it comes down to the perception that the Saints were given all of their list on a silver platter, which is patently incorrect. Thompson is propogating the myth.

Thompson's quote was:

"They've (Saints) obviously had earlier picks than us but that doesn't mean they will end up better players."

He is clearly speaking about the concession and top 5 selections, given he said "earlier" picks. Nothing to do with Maguire or pick 21.

he is also quoted as say Geelong went for 'home grown talent", how much more home grown could McGuire have been? (Sorry dont know where bartell or Kelly came from)

I also fail to see how that quote is "whinging" or 'bemoaning'.
He is making a point about how a high draft pick doesn't instantly mean better.

Mabye it is performace that is being compared? A high draft choice doesn't instantly mean better (I personally rate Dal Santo over X Clarke for instance) but on the whole with the drafting process all clubs go through nowdays, a top five player will be better than a top twenty player many nore times than not.

Bomber is just giving the gamesmanship schpiel a trundle, to wind up the wizza a little.

You gotta remember, he spent many years with Sheedy.

Who cares what he's bleating about anyway!

All will be sorted on Saturday night. then we will see who's list walks away with the bragging rights.

(for two weeks anyway):rolleyes:

Ablett, Allan, Bartel, Blake, Buckland, Callan and Moloney are all from the Falcons in the past 3 years, that is what Bomber is referring to.

Add to that Scarlett, Haynes, Ling, Graham & Riccardi, and that is a third of the list from the area. That is all Bomber was inferring.

As for bringing up Maguire, maybe we didn't get him because he's not that good and has attitude problems. If you want to bring up the Falcons argument and disregard facts, don't use hacks like Maguire, use someone like Jon Brown and disregard the facts totally. At least then it seems like a half decent point to an outsider.

Originally posted by Ramma
Only that you're better than Richmond! ;)
It is noted that GT does have some history of getting his foot stuck in his mouth :rolleyes: but he is improving. The above comment & the "not tolerating mediocrity" one are the only 2 significant examples that I can think of over the last year. Given the number of times he is interviewed that's not so bad.

As regards the Richmond comment you might like to ask some tiges supporters what the results have been in the 2 matches that we've played them following on from that (admittedly dopey) comment.:D :D

Originally posted by Bobby Giovanni
As for bringing up Maguire, maybe we didn't get him because he's not that good and has attitude problems. If you want to bring up the Falcons argument and disregard facts, don't use hacks like Maguire, use someone like Jon Brown and disregard the facts totally. At least then it seems like a half decent point to an outsider.
You may think that Maguire isn't very good, that's your perogative. However to suggest that he "has attitude problems" & is a "hack" is a major dose of wa nk! Fool!

Originally posted by karnaby
You may think that Maguire isn't very good, that's your perogative. However to suggest that he "has attitude problems" & is a "hack" is a major dose of wa nk! Fool!

Unluckily for me, I see him strutting around acting like a poor mans Barry Hall, so that sort've sealed it for me.

what a crock this entire thread is. Instead of over rated, can I suggest the term over-hyped? It makes more sense.

but whatever you want to call it, we are on the radar and it is because of our good early form rather than any perceived 'potential'. You don't see these kinds of comments about crap teams.

Mocaholic last time I asked him who eedie was he went missing for days.

On the topic, it is about time Thompson started 'expecting' his team to improve rather than his rather lame comments last year.

Secondly, put it in perspective, it is the Wizzer cup. As a work colleague said to me this morning, 'who's playing'? Yes he follows AFL but just has no interest at this time of year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by Joffaboy
he is also quoted as say Geelong went for 'home grown talent", how much more home grown could McGuire have been?

We can't recruit everyone that comes from the Geelong area, it's a stupid point.

All Mark Thompson was saying was the only reason the Saints were getting all the attention is because their picks were higher than Geelong's.

He said that just because they were higher picks, it doesn't necessarily mean they are better players, which is true. A lot of players who have become champions were taken very late in drafts.

Originally posted by Bobby Giovanni
Allan, Bartel, Blake, Buckland, Callan

Maguire, maybe we didn't get him because he's not that good and has attitude problems.... don't use hacks like Maguire.

Know a bit about football ?:You quote those names and then call Mcguire a hack. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

credibility => window.

You fool.

Originally posted by gosaints
Maybe we are overrated, but that would be by everyone except sk.kilda players, officials and supporters.
I can't remember Grant Thomas coming out and saying that we are going to win the flag this year. Or that or young players are better than Geelongs. I haven't even heard anyone from within the club say that we are a certainty for the finals.

All the hype is coming from the media, public and the opposition. I think everyone who is a saints fan and those within the club have a fair idea of where the saints are at.

VERY WELL PUT, couldnt agree more!!!
Are you reading this STOPEEDIE??????

One more point I'll add for STOPEEDIE is:
1. The Saints WILL make the 8
2. Don't start giving us crap if we lose a couple of games in the season just remember our strong points and that we WILL be there in SEPTEMBER and WILL play a part in semis or prelims at the very least! Actually those points can go out to ALL SAINT SUPPORTERS!! Enjoy the football this year guys!!!

Look, I actually hope you do make it, and I support another team.
But are the Saints looking any better than they did when they won the 1995 Night Premiership?
If so, where are the improvements?
Eg Aussie Jones, Tony Brown, Joel Smith looked very good back then, and went with a nucleus of a younger Robert Harvey, Nicky Winmar and Stewart Loewe.

I am not writing to be sarcastic, I am actually curious to see where Saints fans think they are at.
Would this side beat the 1995 side? By how much?

Originally posted by kahuna71
what a crock this entire thread is. Instead of over rated, can I suggest the term over-hyped? It makes more sense.

but whatever you want to call it, we are on the radar and it is because of our good early form rather than any perceived 'potential'. You don't see these kinds of comments about crap teams.

Now I hope everyone read the above statement because it saved this THREAD!!! well put Kahuna71 it is OVER HYPE not OVER RATED because to be over rated would have to lose right? that or our players arent that good (which is ridiculous) anywho yeah this is HYPE created from ..... thats right MEDIA .... thats right nothing to do with STKILDA FOOTBALL CLUB we have just been working towards playing!!

The point of this thread is that it has no point. It is the MEDIA which is hyping up the Saints prospects, not the club. In fact, as far as newspapers go, the "promising young Cats" have had more exposure than the Saints, with at least one prominent article a day. And I've lost count of the number of times I've heard Bomber's cut comments replayed.
In contrast, the Saints' team is keeping very low key!

Originally posted by Wally16

2. Don't start giving us crap if we lose a couple of games in the season just remember our strong points and that we WILL be there in SEPTEMBER and WILL play a part in semis or prelims at the very least! Actually those points can go out to ALL SAINT SUPPORTERS!! Enjoy the football this year guys!!!

What was that point again about Saints fans not getting ahead of themselves? Less talk more actions please!

Originally posted by Wally16

Replace "WILL" with "PROBABLY SHOULD" and you'd have a much more reasonable statement.

I'd personally leave the absolute predictions for about 1/2 way through the season when the teams had been able to give a better indication of how they're travelling.

Originally posted by Mero
Look, I actually hope you do make it, and I support another team.
But are the Saints looking any better than they did when they won the 1995 Night Premiership?
If so, where are the improvements?
Eg Aussie Jones, Tony Brown, Joel Smith looked very good back then, and went with a nucleus of a younger Robert Harvey, Nicky Winmar and Stewart Loewe.

I am not writing to be sarcastic, I am actually curious to see where Saints fans think they are at.
Would this side beat the 1995 side? By how much?

Whats your point???
1996 we won the PS cup then in 1997 we made a GRAND FINAL in 1998 we made the PS cup final and played in the finals again losing to SYDNEY in the semi final by 2 pts (in sydney)!!!
The difference now??? CULTURE CULTURRE CULTURE!!! Our young players (ball, dal etc.) are smart they go to uni and stuff!!! The coach isn't taking crap we got rid of individuals like everitt Hall etc. That nucleus is bigger with Hammil, Harvey, Hayes, Reiwoldt, Black, Kosi and yep Gehrig!!

Hudghehton is now an experienced player and a leader
Aussie is 10 times better he is playing the best footy of his carreer NOW! Watch him his consistently reboundin that ball from half back

Smith, Winmar (who was always trouble) and Brown ur joking??
take your pick -
Goddard over smith L. Ball, Dal Santo both over Brown
Clarke takes Winmar's place (hopefully, but very reasonable statement that he will)

it suks cause only TIME can end this dispute in the meantime its all speculation.... BUT I speculate different!

Originally posted by phatandphreaky
That's fine in theory Dan, however there is definitely a tone of arrogance about many St. Kilda supporters here.

You cannot blame opposition supporters for kicking up about such arrogance when it isn't justified by on-field performances.

Also, you cannot simply blame the media for building your club up when your own coach leads the hyperbole of empty rhetoric.

Show the threads (maybe apart from some of Wally's) where St Kilda supporters show a tone of arrogance..

Where is the evidence of Thomas leading the "hyperbole of empty rhetoric" in terms of arrogance or over confidence - on this topic

As for Loewe I keep telling everyone!!! REIWOLDT is 10 tens the player LOEWE ever was!!! Loewe wasnt a natural footballer he was a BIG BIG man who got by quite well!! REIWOLDT is SENSATIONAL!! But if you need any reassurance throw in Kositchke who is REIWOLDT's Taller Twin Brother!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Bomber right- Saints OVERRATED

Remove this Banner Ad

Back