Bontempelli GOTY.... there is a challenger - Matt White kicks a stunner

Remove this Banner Ad

Was thinking that it should be close between White and Bontempelli, but just watched Bonts' goal again. I'm clearly very biased, but it's just a no contest in my eyes. This is just plain ridiculous. People need a refresher :p

Yep, White should get GOTY...unless another player somehow still comes up with something more spectacular.

Can we have two GOTY winners :p Bont and White both deserve it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bont will win it, but geez White was special in that I can't remember the last time someone ran with the ball from behind the centre square to kick a goal. White's main problem is that he is not Lance Franklin, if he did that it would be the goal of the century!

I still think Port are owed the GOTY after this goal

... was beaten by this one ...

Great goal, more a showcase of speed though, rather than brilliant skill. For me, the finish itself is straight forward, it's a running shot at goal from inside 50 with no one in front of him. The run itself, well there's a heap of open space in front of him, he doesn't dodge anyone, doesn't baulk anyone, doesn't break anyone's tackle.

Spectacular goal: Yes
Goal of the year: no way in my eyes

If you rate this goal of the year, you essentially are rating it based on legspeed and endurance rather than footy smarts and skills.
white started his run without the ball at richmonds 50 took off like a rabbit with its arse on fire grabbed a looping pill at full tilt and had 3 bounces with morris breathing down his neck, 99.9 percent would have got caught, stuffed the bounce/s and or shanked the kick or lost their balance at that break neck speed. brilliant skills and no luck involved. one for the time capsule

Has MOTY & GOTY ever been won by two players from the same club? I would have thought Wingard's mark (maybe Sam Gray too?) and Matty White's goal would be in the final three?

Na I don't reckon. We've probably seen goals like that too often from Buddy for it to be "one for the ages"

Please point out all the numerous times that Buddy has won the ball at half back, taken a three bounce run from the wing, ran so fast that he ran around the player chasing him without even really needing to dodge (and Morris is no slouch himself) and then nailed a goal from 50 with the defender right up his arse. This goal makes that Cale Hooker goal that we've been hearing about incessantly for 3 years look like a leisurely stroll in the park.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bontempelli GOTY.... there is a challenger - Matt White kicks a stunner

Remove this Banner Ad

Back