Bottom four next year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Melbourne won't finish bottom 4 next year.

Yeah, Bailey might do the unthinkable and actually stop tanking by keeping up the rotations, playing the good players, playing them in their right positions, not changing match ups in Melbourne's favour, etc.

Well AG, I'll also be very surprised if we were to finish bottom 4 next year with a less injury-prone squad.

Expecting us to be around 9th/10th, although I wouldn't rule out 8th with some luck going our way.
That is such a massive jump though. I'd be hoping Melbourne can win up to 7-8 games next year and then make the finals in 2011. You don't have any other real forwards targets who are ready to stand up. Defence looks good, midfield isn't the best but not bad.

Did you mean North Melbourne instead of Essendon?:rolleyes:

Melbourne, Sydney, Richmond, Fremantle

Precious much? It's just an opinion mate.

History shows that 2 teams from the top 8 always finish in the bottom 4 the next year. I think Essendon will be one of those teams.

I love seeing people write Sydney off.

The club has lost a lot of senior players, but which of them was really making an impact on the pitch this season?

Hall was good when he was on the pitch, but we didn't have him in the final part of the season when we pushed the very top teams in the comp as well as anyone else has done this season. O'Loughlin could still kick a bag on occasion, but more often than not didn't give us much - his speed was gone and he could hardly kick more than 40 metres. Leo Barry basically didn't play at all, Jarred Crouch continued to toil away, but we have him covered with the younger players we have coming through, plus factor in Keneally and Fosdike who chewed up the salary cap despite both retiring before the season. Out of all of them, Hall had the biggest impact, and yet we played very well without him. The others are replacable.

I see us close to the finals, but probably missing out again.

sydney
port adelaide
richmond
melbourne

enough said.

cant wait to see the fall of the most un interesting and boring team in the AFL.
kudos Sydney

13th. Nth melbourne
14th. Richmond
15th. Melbourne
16th. Port Adelaide

-Big movers /\ next year West coast,Hawthorn.
-Big Sliders \/ next year Port,Dogs.

Gotta love Sydney fans.....''We wont make the 8, but we DEFINITELY wont finish in the bottom 4''

Finishing between 9th and 13th can be completely in the hands of factors outside Sydney's control, just look at this year and how Essendon were able to make the 8 with 10 wins. So Sydney might win X amount of games next year, but there is no way you can tell whether that gets them 9th or 13th, as one close game alone going either way can have a huge effect on your final position.

Ridiculous comment. Dont be deluded into thinking you couldnt be bottom 4 just because you have Brett Kirk.

I said we probably won't be top 8, but won't be bottom 4. There are at least 4 teams we will be better than. We will improve from this year, or at the very least tread water.

I love how you just assume that I'm deluded into thinking Brett Kirk = no bottom 4. How about reading my post again and looking at the reasoning. People are saying "Swans are losing soooo many players, wooden spoon", when most of the players we're losing actually didn't do anything this year, so we're not losing them at all. We had already lost them, and yet we came 12th, pushed the top 2 teams to 1 and 5 points respectively, and with a bit of luck could have scraped into the 8. The only player we're losing from our best 22 in round 22 is MOL, and he was probably in our bottom 6 players as well.

One of these years you are going to be right about this. Surely.
Yeah, nah.

I tipped us to finish last this year and get picks 1,2 and 18.

I also tipped you to finish 12th.

Seems as though i overestimated your team :(

Dees will not be bottom 4 next year. I was spot on this year and will be spot on again next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The bottom four often changes more than people think.
Lets go with stats from the last 3 years:

StK +3 +5
Geel -1 0
WB 0 +10
Coll +4 -2
Adel 0 +3
BL +4 0
Carl +4 +4
Ess +4 0
Haw -7 +3
Port +3 -11
WC +4 -12
Syd -6 +1
North -6 -3
Freo 0 -3
Rich -6 +7
Melb 0 -2

The teams are listed in order of the 2009 ladder along with their positional change from 2008 and their position change from the 2007 to 2008 ladder
Teams in bold were bottom four in 2008
Teams with underline were bottom four in 2007

Based on this, i expect:
at least one big drop by a team into the bottom four - my guess is Essendon
at least one small drop into the bottom four - my guess Sydney
at least one team to remain in the bottom four - my guess is Melbourne
and for the final position, my guess is Port

Of the current bottom four not guessed to remain, I reckon Freo will jump up about 3-4 places, Richmond will just climb out, and North will improve a few places

Haha, 100% of the global population tipped Melbourne to be bottom 4 this year.
Do I care?

I was merely responding to the moron who said I predicted Melbourne to finihs outside of the bottom 4 in 2009.

On the contrary I said we'd finish last and get picks 1,2,18 - before rising to high bottom 8 in 2010 and finals in 2011, contending in 2012.

Spot on so far, and I expect to be spot on in the future.

Bit premature for all this......... but anyway:

13: North Melbourne
14: Melbourne
15: Fremantle
16: Richmond

13th - Sydney
14th - Richmond
15th - Melbourne
16th - Port Adelaide

:thumbsu:

Wona - will you stop spamming these forums everytime someone makes a comment about the Dees. People think Melbourne will be bottom four - I think Melbourne will be bottom four. Why wouldn't they. It takes more than just getting a bunch of kids together to make a competitive team.

FFS. Not everything is a troll.

Just thought I'd bump up this post, the first line especially.

Yeah... that's been a determining factor for both our sides this year mate, although somewhat more severe for us.

I think Melbourne are a lot better than what they showed this year and you did have legitimate injury problems. I expect them to be way more competitive next year.

But you can win 7 or 8 games and still be bottom 4, Hawks only ended up a game and a half ahead of us and we were fourth last and they almost made the finals.

There is, however, a bit of a leap required to break that 6-8 win zone to go to 10 and beyond, it requires a lot more consistency, in terms of quarter to quarter performances and week to week performances. I do think the Dees will improve, not sure yet if they will jump the next rung though, having fewer injuries will definitely help though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bottom four next year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back