News Brad Crouch to Saints (STK make offer; Band 3, ADL to match?)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I reckon it was under $600k. Only 24 players across the comp on 700-800 that year, I would've assumed Tex and Sloane were in that range, so would be surprised if we had 3 out of 24.
Who are the three though?

The only other names of note in the group that didn't play the entire season are Jamie Elliott, Grant Birchall, Harley Bennell, Liam Picken, and Sam Docherty

I reckon it was under $600k. Only 24 players across the comp on 700-800 that year, I would've assumed Tex and Sloane were in that range, so would be surprised if we had 3 out of 24.
Can B.Crouch be classified as RFA earning under $600K??? Sloane is likely $850K and Walker is in the $700-800K range.

I can’t see any way we were paying Brad 700-800k in 2018
We weren't.

People - ffs. Brad Crouch was on $550k a year.

Can B.Crouch be classified as RFA earning under $600K??? Sloane is likely $850K and Walker is in the $700-800K range.
Brad just needs to be in the top 25% of salaries at the club to be a restricted free agent. So - he comfortably would be that if earning $550k.

We weren't.

People - ffs. Brad Crouch was on $550k a year.
That's an average yeah.

Back end the deal and he could easily have been on 700K

Brad needs to be in the top 25% of salaries at the club to be a restricted free agent. So - he comfortably would be that if earning $550k.
Make sense given we have been known to follow the Geelong salary model and spread the salary cap across the playing group which doesn't work anymore in now with FA.

That's an average yeah.

Back end the deal and he could easily have been on 700K
And was on only $400k in 2017 at the start of his new contract?

That seems INCREDIBLY unlikely. Why would he sign that and why would we have needed it? Especially considering he's EITHER earning less than $600k or more than $700K, and we know he averaged $550k a year for his deal.

Let's just assume it's the most obvious and likely thing.

Possible, sure.

Very unlikely, but possible.
I don't think it's that unlikely. We signed Brad 1 year after Danger left and would have had cap space to front load his first two years. He might also be after a big pay day now because he's spent 2019 and 2020 on the two leaner years of his deal

I just don't see which other three players in the league who missed all of 2018 would have been on that sort of cash

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And was on only $400k in 2017 at the start of his new contract?

That seems INCREDIBLY unlikely. Why would he sign that and why would we have needed it? Especially considering he's EITHER earning less than $600k or more than $700K, and we know he averaged $550k a year for his deal.

Let's just assume it's the most obvious and likely thing.
Had injuries in 2015 and.not a super year in 16, club and Brad were probably still concerned how he would hold up.

I don't think it's that unlikely. We signed Brad 1 year after Danger left and would have had cap space to front load his first two years. He might also be after a big pay day now because he's spent 2019 and 2020 on the two leaner years of his deal

I just don't see which other three players in the league who missed all of 2018 would have been on that sort of cash

Might explain why he shopped himself around last year too, if the back end of his deal was lower.

$2.2m over 4 years.
ive seen both 2.2m over 4 and 2.4m over 4 quotes for brads last contract.. so 550-600k.

either way that wouldnt put him in that 600-700k band on that table because its actually 601-700k!

still reacon it needs to be at the very least 750k a year from the saints to earn band 1 and that could still be touch and go, especially given the vfl flogs just love ****in us over... but $800k a year would be a certainty, there little chance they can deny us then..

lets hope Edmonds is right and the offer is between 700-800k and the saints and crows are currently working out ways to make sure its at the 800k end of things!...

top 5% at total players (702) is roughly top 35 players.

Total number of players earning $800K and above is 32 players, i.e. $800K is guaranteed top 5%.

Given that Brad would have to be the top 3 players (32+3 = 35) within the $700-800K bracket, I would guess that he'd have to be getting at least $775K+ to trigger band 1, even then its still murky. $800K seems to be the magic number.
I forgot they also take into account the age so it isn't top 5%, around top 50 players with age allocation of 10 points which B.Crouch would get using 2018 data.

How could we get pick 9?

I was under the impression

Band 1 - After your 1st round pick
Band 2 - After the 1st round
Band 3 - After your 2nd round pick
Band 4 - After the 2nd round
Band 5 - After your 3rd round pick

So
Band 1 = 2
Band 2 = 20
Band 3 = 22
Band 4 = 38
Band 5 = 40

If we were mid-table I'd bet the AFL gives us band 1 in a heartbeat as it's fair. But because the pick is pick 2, I see us getting band 2 and getting pick 20 (pushed back to 25 or some sh*t with bids on JUH etc.)

Should be ‘unlinked’ from finishing position, something like:

Band 1 = pick 11, straight after all teams missing finals
Band 2 = pick 19, start of second round
Band 3 = pick 29, mid second round
Band 4 = pick 37, start of third round
Band 5 = pick 47, mid third round

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Disagree.

I'd tell him to give up the captaincy, get himself right and focus on himself for a change. You'll see him get back to somewhere near his best.

Can only hope. If not, it's a hell of a dead weight to carry. I think continually playing injured hastens the cliff. Our 3 key leaders have all been looking very proppy over at least the last year or so. For every Travis Boak that turns their career around at 30 there's 99 that continue the decline. Plus with Sloane, his mental desire backed by raw physical effort was what made him the A grader that he was. I hope he gets his body back in shape, for him and us, but odds are against.

Can only hope. If not, it's a hell of a dead weight to carry. I think continually playing injured hastens the cliff. Our 3 key leaders have all been looking very proppy over at least the last year or so. For every Travis Boak that turns their career around at 30 there's 99 that continue the decline. Plus with Sloane, his mental desire backed by raw physical effort was what made him the A grader that he was. I hope he gets his body back in shape, for him and us, but odds are against.
The only guy who I don't think can get back to somewhere near where he was is Tex. Which is sad actually because him at somewhere near that level is the most important

Total number of players earning $800K and above is 32 players, i.e. $800K is guaranteed top 5%.

Given that Brad would have to be the top 3 players (32+3 = 35) within the $700-800K bracket, I would guess that he'd have to be getting at least $775K+ to trigger band 1, even then its still murky. $800K seems to be the magic number.
Don’t forget that it’s only players aged 25+. That means a heap of rookies get taken out of that 702 figure. But then we get the age bonus of 10 points, whatever that equates to... it’s very murky even when we have these numbers.

Would be surprised if Zilliams Contract sparks band 1 ....more like band 2

Cameron will be band 1
Williams I reckon will be band one. As a player should he be? No.

But he will by virtue of the coin that Carlton are stumping up for him.

I know that this is completely off thread topic, but I get how midfielders and key forwards command big $. The midfield because it's critical to the modern game, and the key forwards because the good ones are few and far between.

Players like McGovern are the exception (no, not brackets).

Paying top $ for a half back flanker?? It's strange list management.

His bonus points for age is on the good side too. So whatever the magic number is, you can lower that by a decent chunk.

All of this kerfuffle and uncertainty just reinforces my scepticism as HTF did Gold Coast get pick 1 and a priority pick just last year and then come out in season 2020 and be very competitive - what a joke - either the AFL fkd up or Gold Coast tanked big time ?

Given our history and our dealings with the supreme leaders I'm not confident we won't be bent over.

Just give us pick 2, some awesome talent in the draft and let us be a competent club again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back