List Mgmt. Brady Rawlings | Head of Football Talent (Recruitment, LM & TPP)

Remove this Banner Ad

Why?

I’m neutral on him at present, he needs to show some “wins” soon.

He did what had to by cutting list cloggers and in doing so set us up for short term pain but hopefully long term gain with high end draft picks.

I wanted someone ruthless and he’s certainly that, even let his own brother go.

Can’t judge him by the the position we’re in now, but where we’ll be in 2~3+ years

Now the same media campaigners are saying full rebuilds are no longer excepted by the AFL.
'full rebuilds' never really seem to happen and are usually a mix of delisting duds and bringing in some draft picks alongside gun state league players.
Team's bottoming out when you've got semi decent talent should never really happen.

I can't help but question the plan by nmfc. I remember the night where the strategic direction 8 years or so ago was trumped as 'sustained success'. Remember that?

I don't mind a rebuild, but if you were planning something very different back then, and then suddenly shift, they better bloody well explain how this new rebuild plan was meant to get us back to finals by next year (the timeline noble was given), because what we are seeing smacks of one huge unplanned mess.

I can't help but question the plan by nmfc. I remember the night where the strategic direction 8 years or so ago was trumped as 'sustained success'. Remember that?

I don't mind a rebuild, but if you were planning something very different back then, and then suddenly shift, they better bloody well explain how this new rebuild plan was meant to get us back to finals by next year (the timeline noble was given), because what we are seeing smacks of one huge unplanned mess.

That was Scott’s mantra and he failed, he also said that if it didn’t work out he’d walk away.

Neither of those things happened

That was Scott’s mantra and he failed, he also said that if it didn’t work out he’d walk away.

Neither of those things happened
It wasn't his mantra alone, it was the clubs mantra. The tail doesn't wag the dog.

Whatever the case, we changed the plan, and the plan has resulted in an extreme version of a poorly performing team - there hasn't been a worse bottom ladder team since the first years of the expansions, without the same stratospheric levels of upside.

I look forward to what Walsh has to say, and he better not be just aiming at the coach - because it just cannot be that alone.

Nothing will save us from a fair bit of an member exodus next year, but a complete understanding and correspondingly a response to where we are now might help lessen it.

Lets look at the bleeding obvious example of James McDonald not being wanted at Melbourne. It was referenced a million times and Melbourne got smashed for it. They should have retained him at all costs and then paid the price for letting him go.
Moving on dead weight like Dumont, Atley and Wood, etc. MacMillan isnt going to hurt us. We dont want our kids learning from them and to not be playing because of them.
Moving on A grade senior players because of their age is exactly the **** up that should have been avoided. If we do the same with Goldi then good riddance to Brady. Again, all undermined by the fact the club acknowledged the mistake and frighteningly gave Jack 2 years.

I think we are 3 years away from being mid table. Thats how scary our situation is. We are 24 months off being competitive. We could have avoided this but shit happens.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spose it’s all relative. Geelong are in for a monster rebuild very soon.
Yep, I don’t think they’ll necessarily replace danger/Selwood/Hawkins even Duncan exactly to the same levels. I do think they’ll continue on the FA train but I think they’ll probably slowly diminish not so much fall off a cliff as I originally thought

Yep, I don’t think they’ll necessarily replace danger/Selwood/Hawkins even Duncan exactly to the same levels. I do think they’ll continue on the FA train but I think they’ll probably slowly diminish not so much fall off a cliff as I originally thought

I still think that cliff is coming.

Hope they do try and prolong it and stay mid table for a few years till they realise they need to bottom out.

Has presided over the Hub debacle, f&@$ed up us keeping Brown and Tarrant. Let Higgins go when we needed to retain some genuine experience and leadership.
Has seen 3 recruitment staff walk out the door. Let Noble recruit Greenwood and let go of Dumont. Has given Xerri a 3 year contract.

I recognise he’s a North man, but if our football department culture is toxic, he is the most senior football staff member (Armafio excluded) who has been the common denominator during this 3 year shit show. Walsh’s review will no doubt also have him in his sights.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

He can follow Amarfio out. Useless. Cut too much away after 2020, and we've been catching our breath since. At least Wood, Pittard and Daw may have given us something.

I still think that cliff is coming.

Hope they do try and prolong it and stay mid table for a few years till they realise they need to bottom out.
Geelong continue to add young talent and to my mind are one of the best at constantly refreshing their list.
Z Guthrie 24
Henery 23
Close 23
Ratugolea 23
Miers 23
Stengle 23
Narkle 24
De Konning 21
Parfitt 24
Simpson 24
Bews 24
Cameron at 29 will be a target forward for another 5 years, they still have a very good crop of players 25 to 29.
KOLODJASHNIJ 26
C Guthrie 29
Atkins 26
Stewart 29
O Connor 25
While they will have some holes to fill in the next year or two,
I expect to see Geelong compeditive for a number of years yet.

Last edited:
Geelong continue to add young talent and to my mind are one of the best at constantly refreshing their list.
Z Guthrie 24
Henery 23
Close 23
Ratugolea 23
Miers 23
Stengle 23
Narkle 24
De Konning 21
Parfitt 24
Simpson 24
Bews 24
Cameron at 29 will be a target forward for another 5 years, they still have a very good crop of players 25 to 29.
KOLODJASHNIJ 26
C Guthrie 29
Atkins 26
Stewart 29
O Connor 25
Bews is 28. But in general agree, this infamous Geelong cliff is promised every year and every year they play finals. Even with the finals failures is there a single North supporter who wouldn’t swap positions with them? I’d ****en love Chris Scott as a coach atm.

Z Guthrie 24
Henery 23
Close 23
Ratugolea 23
Miers 23
Stengle 23
Narkle 24
De Konning 21
Parfitt 24
Simpson 24
Bews 24
KOLODJASHNIJ 26
C Guthrie 29
Atkins 26
Stewart 29
O Connor 25

We’ll see I spose

Bews is 28. But in general agree, this infamous Geelong cliff is promised every year and every year they play finals. Even with the finals failures is there a single North supporter who wouldn’t swap positions with them? I’d *en love Chris Scott as a coach atm.
I think whats most impressive with Geelong is they have build a very good list, while importing high quality players as well, Dangerfield, Cameron etc...
All speaks to very good trade craft.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Brady Rawlings | Head of Football Talent (Recruitment, LM & TPP)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back