Coaching Staff Brendon Bolton - Senior Coach - Locked in until end of 2020 (23/5/18)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure the Lions just beat the Hawks and Freo just beat Port

Don't mistaken ladder positions for capabilities

Let this sink in, Lions started their rebuild in 2013 and have TWO, best 22 out

They have had a healthy list all year

Oh come on, keep arguing injuries but please don’t argue that lions and freo are not only better than us with our injured players but that they are a 10 goal better side lol

Look, if our depth is sooooo bad that it means we are a 10 goal worse side with injuries than our fellow bottom cellar dwellers, then why the hell did we leave/add them to our list?
I can accept that the club thought they’d be playing reserves most of the time, but seriously, if the depth players are soooo bad that they make us unable to compete with the likes of lions, saints, freo etc who are down the bottom of the ladder with us, then those depth players had no business even being considered for a list spot let alone given one.

Truth is we aren’t a 10 goal worse side, but we are currently playing like one due to a whole bunch of factors involving this rebuild.

Many forget that the club started a rebuild from top to bottom, not just a list turnover.
So the medicos, fitness and conditioning, assistant coaches, player development, are all part of this rebuild and their dismal failures this year tip the scale to this rebuild as a whole not progressing at all.

Oh come on, keep arguing injuries but please don’t argue that lions and freo are not only better than us with our injured players but that they are a 10 goal better side lol

Look, if our depth is sooooo bad that it means we are a 10 goal worse side with injuries than our fellow bottom cellar dwellers, then why the hell did we leave/add them to our list?
I can accept that the club thought they’d be playing reserves most of the time, but seriously, if the depth players are soooo bad that they make us unable to compete with the likes of lions, saints, freo etc who are down the bottom of the ladder with us, then those depth players had no business even being considered for a list spot let alone given one.

Truth is we aren’t a 10 goal worse side, but we are currently playing like one due to a whole bunch of factors involving this rebuild.

Many forget that the club started a rebuild from top to bottom, not just a list turnover.
So the medicos, fitness and conditioning, assistant coaches, player development, are all part of this rebuild and their dismal failures this year tip the scale to this rebuild as a whole not progressing at all.

Lol

I think the biggest thing that has given many of us the idea that we aren’t moving forward is not that we didn’t win 8-9 games or even 4-5 games.

It’s completely understandable that our chances of winning a bunch of games went out the window with our injuries, I’m guessing most of us can accept that.

But it isn’t just that we haven’t won the games we were hoping to win before injuries hit, it’s that we have gone from the hope of winning some games to the complete opposite where we aren’t even competitive against the other bottom sides.

Many of us can accept injuries as an excuse for not winning, but when we are asked to accept injuries as an excuse for getting thrashed by 10 goals by fellow bottom teams then we question how the rebuild is progressing when we are so far behind our peers at this stage

As a completely random piece of Internet chatter, being in the cellar has some sort of 'inverted U hypothesis' effect. The games where we are expected to be smashed we often end up competitive due to higher 'arousal' levels, whilst the games we are expected to win or be competitive we often get smashed. Pin it on the coaching panel if you like, but the club incorporates players, staff and supporters as well. We have 3 games of each type left, it will be interesting to keep tabs.

Laugh all you want, but there’s no way anyone can point to the rebuild progressing when so many elements of it have gone backwards this year at an alarming rate.
One can argue that the list itself is in a better shape than 3 years ago, but every other aspect from medicos, fitness, development, assistant coaches are not

most who?

I dont think most think we are better off..
our players are struggling to do the non negotiables
most young players have gone backwards

ok take out Cripps and Curnow

who's going forwards
kerridge?
plowman?
Fisher?
Byrne?
Philips?
sps?
weitering?
Silvagni?
Cunningham?
Lamb?
McKay?
can go on and on

Fisher, Phillips and McKay from that group have gone forwards, and Phillips is just a back up. Weitering, SPS and SOJK have gone back wards and look lost. Weitering was a gun in bis first year and did well early in his 2nd year, now looks last as to his role. Cunningham looks talented but has stagnated.

Laugh all you want, but there’s no way anyone can point to the rebuild progressing when so many elements of it have gone backwards this year at an alarming rate.
One can argue that the list itself is in a better shape than 3 years ago, but every other aspect from medicos, fitness, development, assistant coaches are not

Thanks for the update.

Gimme 3 positives this year.

Anywhere, onfield, offield, Cate Blanchett, all yours.

I dare ya’

Lol

Thanks for the update.

Gimme 3 positives this year.

I dare ya’

Cripps, Charlie, Fisher!
And I’ll chuck in the win against EFC and a couple of other games where the players gave their all and took it right to the top sides.
The list as a whole looks better than 3 years ago.

Happy?

Now your turn:
Tell me why we’ve had so many players reinjure the same injury in their first game back?
Tell me why players like weiters. SPS, JSOS and a handful of other young promising kids have either stagnated or gone backwards in their development.
And lastly, tell me why our players look shot after just one quarter of footy?

Last edited:
Cripps, Charlie, Fisher!
And I’ll chuck in the win against EFC and a couple of other games where the players gave their all and took it right to the top sides.
The list as a whole looks better than 3 years ago.

Happy?

I’m always happy.

We’ll be right.

Yeah, nah.

Most would agree we’re far better placed now than we were before the reset, with regards to young talent on the list.

Stage one was to regenerate the list and bring that young talent into the club.

Stage two is to develop them both individually and as a collective, and there’s no quick way to do that.

By year 3 though we should be seeing some semblance at least of playing structure and plan the players can lock in to, some form of coach's imprint. We have a ton of young talent but that won't help so much if they are not developed properly, not properly drilled and structured, can't grasp the game plan, are lost as to their roles etc. Get that right and you can at least minimise the effort of injuries.

Bet if our side played in red and white they'd all be going alot better, injuries or not. Better develop, better structured, clear suitable roles and a good strong culture.

Bet if our side played in red and white they'd all be going alot better, injuries or not. Better develop, better structured, clear suitable roles and a good strong culture.

You realise this is the reason for the reset, right? That we want to build club/team/list for sustained success?
That doesn't happen overnight, and it took Sydney a long time to get to that level.

I would not have commented on the head coach if I did not see a visible deterioration in overall performances. This comes down to motivation and confidence and the playing group has none of that. There is only one person to blame for motivation and confidence. This "endure" bullshit is pitting players to have panic attacks on matchday. What is this nonsense.
Absolutely agree. Too much blind faith on this board. Something isn't right.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely agree. Too much blind faith on this board. Something isn't right.

INJURIES. YOUNG LIST. NO DEPTH YET. HAVING TO PLAY DECKCHAIRS. REBUILDING

why is it so hard to understand? :straining:

PS It's not blind faith. People believe in what's happeniing based on evidence before them. Your comments are lazy

Not sure i have seen any honorable losses this year but i guess everyone has differing views views on what constitutes honourable.

Last year we won 6 games (i think) but there were probably 5 games we were in up to late in the game and could easily have won.

My disappointment this year is other than the game we won we have never really looked like we were a chance. Just totally uncompetitive every game except the * game.
And the * game was more about how poor they were than how good we were

While the sps types remain stagnant?
Hmmm
Nice plan let’s keep the faith
Am I doing this right?
How so?

He's averaging 1.4 more possessions a match, and is averaging 13 metres gained more a match than last year. His disposal efficiency is mildly better. His time on ground is higher. It's small, but it's still a gain.

My question to you is, why exactly do you post that? What do you gain from it? Some posters - theheatleystand among them - are frustrated, and their posts detail their frustration, but this isn't one of those posts. You're seeming to take kind of a masochistic/sadistic joy in trying to make people feel worse about the club and its prospects in the future, which is an infinitely odd stance to take.

The issue theheatleystand had was he had no benchmarks. I provided one. I do not see how your post is relevant to mine, nor do I see the point of it. Enlighten me, if it suits you.

In a year or 2 a lot of people will be missing from this site. The positivity, improvement and success will be like light to a vampire

+1

I have thought about this a few times. The stupidity we face from certain posters ; and then in two year's time when success comes they will flip straight over like nothing has been posted, and in all likelihood be the first to visit opposition boards to laud how good we are.

The same thing has happened over here in London on the back of England having a great world cup. Incredible amount of press and people saying pre-tournament how shite England are; and missing the changes Gareth Southgate has brought to the table (huge change in formation/strategy, passing and young keen players). Two seconds after england get through the group stages, it is ludicrous listening to people how great England are.

Most supporters are only skin deep in their thought processes.

Experience is more or less games
When you compare
There’s not a huge amount of difference
Brissy ain’t going bad too
3 in a row?
You do realise Brisbane have only played finals once in the last 14 seasons & that was in 2009. That is a heck of a long time in which to put a competitive list together, yet at this stage of 2018 they have still won less games than they did in 2017. They may well end up matching last season's tally of wins, but you would expect 9 years after their last finals appearance they would be a little bit more advanced than this.

You talk about our elder statesmen not being on the field too much
Doesn’t that make it even worse that our age didn’t drop a lot more ?
As I have previously stated, don't be fooled by average age numbers, they are extremely misleading. As an example the average age difference between us & the Saints on Friday night was only 5 months in their favour yet we played 11 players who were aged 21 or under, while they played 4. In other words, half our selected 22 were aged 21 or under & when Kreuzer went off very early in the game, our 21 & unders made up more than 50% of the team.

The imbalance in the age demographic of our list is killing us at the moment & this will take some time to overcome (another 2-3 years).

+1

I have thought about this a few times. The stupidity we face from certain posters ; and then in two year's time when success comes they will flip straight over like nothing has been posted, and in all likelihood be the first to visit opposition boards to laud how good we are.

The same thing has happened over here in London on the back of England having a great world cup. Incredible amount of press and people saying pre-tournament how shite England are; and missing the changes Gareth Southgate has brought to the table (huge change in formation/strategy, passing and young keen players). Two seconds after england get through the group stages, it is ludicrous listening to people how great England are.

Most supporters are only skin deep in their thought processes.

As a side note, England didn’t have a great World Cup, it was just that they had the easiest draw of any nation. As soon as they were faced with a half decent team they lost.

Just had to get that in even if it’s not the right board for it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back