Coaching Staff Brendon Bolton - Senior Coach - Locked in until end of 2020 (23/5/18)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a side note, England didn’t have a great World Cup, it was just that they had the easiest draw of any nation. As soon as they were faced with a half decent team they lost.

Just had to get that in even if it’s not the right board for it

See, you do not know the detail.
England got knocked out by Iceland recently in euro 2016. They were a basket case and shot mentally. Iceland have 300,000 people and that is it so to be outplayed by low league players was horrific.

Gareth Southgate was appointed since that loss (well almost - just after allardyce) and he completely changed everything. Win or lose they are playing very good football 'compared' to previous versions of English football. Southgate changed the formation to 3/5/2, told rooney he was on the outer when he was appointed, told smalling from MU that he cant play the ball well enough to go in England's squad, and chose 2 playmakers in Lingard & Stirling; with Lingard being a bit of a surprise.

Detail is everything; like it is with Carlton.

You are a surface dweller; a skin deep type of guy.

As a completely random piece of Internet chatter, being in the cellar has some sort of 'inverted U hypothesis' effect. The games where we are expected to be smashed we often end up competitive due to higher 'arousal' levels, whilst the games we are expected to win or be competitive we often get smashed. Pin it on the coaching panel if you like, but the club incorporates players, staff and supporters as well. We have 3 games of each type left, it will be interesting to keep tabs.
Honestly after our performances against the bottom 6, my explanation for this is that top sides don't take us seriously.

See, you do not know the detail.
England got knocked out by Iceland recently in euro 2016. They were a basket case and shot mentally. Iceland have 300,000 people and that is it so to be outplayed by low league players was horrific.

Gareth Southgate was appointed since that loss (well almost - just after allardyce) and he completely changed everything. Win or lose they are playing very good football 'compared' to previous versions of English football. Southgate changed the formation to 3/5/2, told rooney he was on the outer when he was appointed, told smalling from MU that he cant play the ball well enough to go in England's squad, and chose 2 playmakers in Lingard & Stirling; with Lingard being a bit of a surprise.

Detail is everything; like it is with Carlton.

You are a surface dweller; a skin deep type of guy.

The only reason I’m continuing this England debate in this forum is because you’ve related it the condition Carlton is in.

Yes I’m aware of the details, yes England lost to Iceland and was a basket case, have been a basket case for a long time now.

But that just goes to show how the English people/media have been reduced to accept mediocrity, all England did was beat a few lowly nations in the easiest draw of the World Cup and as soon as they came up against a half decent team they lost.
Yet everyone acts as though it was a major accomplishment, that they overcame a loss to Iceland in the euros to beat a few lowly nations in the World Cup.

The English people/media have been reduced to celebrating mediocrity from their once great national team after hitting rock bottom, that’s all it is.

I’m afraid that’s what will eventually happen to us supporters after we hit rock bottom, reduced to celebrating mediocrity from out once great football club.

The only reason I’m continuing this England debate in this forum is because you’ve related it the condition Carlton is in.

Yes I’m aware of the details, yes England lost to Iceland and was a basket case, have been a basket case for a long time now.

But that just goes to show how the English people/media have been reduced to accept mediocrity, all England did was beat a few lowly nations in the easiest draw of the World Cup and as soon as they came up against a half decent team they lost.
Yet everyone acts as though it was a major accomplishment, that they overcame a loss to Iceland in the euros to beat a few lowly nations in the World Cup.

The English people/media have been reduced to celebrating mediocrity from their once great national team after hitting rock bottom, that’s all it is.

I’m afraid that’s what will eventually happen to us supporters after we hit rock bottom, reduced to celebrating mediocrity from out once great football club.

Getting it back on topic then; how do you feel after Silvagni's interview and his explanations. Hit nail head from what i can see. Can you see it?

Last edited:
We have lost to the 2nd, 3rd, 4th worse teams by 10 goals or more....
Do you actually know the reasons why we have been playing tall in the backline?

Analyse that and you might have your answers

He still hasn’t realised he can’t get enough forward and midfield pressure to ultilise marking zoned defenders. That’s why opposition forwards get picked off Willy nilly. You don’t need first round draft picks to create pressure and tackling type players. Plus not enough skill not to turn the ball over. But he still persists with this idea.

:think:

Your coach?

Hmmm... You do support Carlton, correct? Or is this an alt account for another club, and it's taken this long for you to slip up?

As for the content of what you're saying, you cannot pick and choose. Either we play the kids - all of them - and we get outrun and beaten and yes, we play too tall, or we play the senior players and get beaten regardless and you have people like theheatleystand and carlton2thebone complaining about how the kids always get dropped for no hopers.

And I find it interesting that it's the backline you're bewailing, when its the height of the forward line and the relative lack of speed through the middle that is tearing us up after turnovers, as they lack the pace to get back behind the ball in time to affect the next contest.

He ain’t my coach.

I don’t think we should play the kids at all. Maybe 1 of them at a time.

It’s not good they are getting smashed every week.

I’ve mentioned this several times.

They will learn more in a winning team than a significantly losing team.

Strength the 2’s and get them winning.

Fisher, Phillips and McKay from that group have gone forwards, and Phillips is just a back up. Weitering, SPS and SOJK have gone back wards and look lost. Weitering was a gun in bis first year and did well early in his 2nd year, now looks last as to his role. Cunningham looks talented but has stagnated.
Fisher has but how have the other two gone forwards?

Relax guys seriously, we've been missing match winners Willo and Byrne all year!

Plowman is out too now and that hurts big time because he was killing it this year :rolleyes:

We need these guys playing so that we can be defined by pressure. Otherwise, it's not possible.

How so?

He's averaging 1.4 more possessions a match, and is averaging 13 metres gained more a match than last year. His disposal efficiency is mildly better. His time on ground is higher. It's small, but it's still a gain.

If that isn't stagnant.....

You know you're clutching at straws using 13 metres gained. Far out

If that isn't stagnant.....

You know you're clutching at straws using 13 metres gained. Far out
If you are determined to see things a particular way, I cannot stop you. It's a complete picture kind of thing, where his game has increased overall rather than a huge leap, and why you're insisting that vast improvement in a linear trajectory is the only kind of improvement is as though you actually want him to have stagnated.

He ain’t my coach.

I don’t think we should play the kids at all. Maybe 1 of them at a time.

It’s not good they are getting smashed every week.

I’ve mentioned this several times.

They will learn more in a winning team than a significantly losing team.

Strength the 2’s and get them winning.
He coaches the side you support, no?

Apart from that, no professional club in the world would strengthen their second side at the expense of their seniors, and as if you wouldn't be in here complaining exactly the same way if the ones were utterly noncompetitive but the twos were flying because a whole host of players should be in the AFL.

The VFL is good for teaching structure, for developing fitness and for providing confidence, but it is a terrible competition to learn and use pressure and AFL thought speeds; in short, it'd be great for our talls, but not for our smalls. And finally, the injuries we have had would make any attempt to insert players from the VFL side into the ones to drop kids - which is genuinely one of the more perplexing things I have read on here - a fraught one, as we simply do not have enough positional changes to do so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fisher has but how have the other two gone forwards?

Phillips has certainly been better this year when he has got his chance but that won't help given you can only play one ruck these day. Credit where it is due though McKay's averaging 2 goals a game before Friday, where interestingly he may have played his best game for us. Not huge improvements yet but on the way up.

My concern is those talented youngsters that have gone backwards. Weitering, SPS and SOJ.

Honestly after our performances against the bottom 6, my explanation for this is that top sides don't take us seriously.

Top sides we play a different game. An in-close, tight, hard congested game, which seems to suit us. We have the ability playing that way to close down good sides. Even though we didn't win that often, although we did win a few in the first half of our reset and led 7 times in last qtrs and lost as well last year, we were a damn hard side to play against. Against shit sides we try to play that zoning, offensive game that the players literally have no idea about and those sides cut through us like tissue paper.

We need to go back to the plan we do best, only difference being take the game on when we have the ball, get back hard to cover when we don't have it. Try to create something from our natural game plan and expand. We'd do that better than zoning. If we have to kick down the line try to get get players forward to create a situation where we outnumber the opposition rather than all sitting back. Be better than watching the chip, chip backwards all the time. There's a time to switch play, there's other times you have to set up down the line.

Last edited:
You realise this is the reason for the reset, right? That we want to build club/team/list for sustained success?
That doesn't happen overnight, and it took Sydney a long time to get to that level.

We've won one game. Even we have enough ability to win more than one game. By the stage of a reset we should be seeing some on-field structure and a plan we've locked into in place. It is late year 3 after all. We are seeing nothing but confusion, shit and 10 goal losses to shit sides. As for culture, I wondering how far Rhys Palmer's tweet was on the mark. Most don't want to hear it, like they don't want to see our position now, so they wrote him off as a disgruntled employee...lol.

Back in the day, Sydney did it very quickly. They went from basket case, alot worse than us, to Grand Finalists in 3 years with the help of Barassi's coaching. Eade then took over a good side. They haven't looked back since. Bulldogs changed from McCartney during a rebuild and won a flag in two years, Port went from a basket case under Primus to finalist the next year under Hinkley and even we went from aa basket case to finalists in 2 years under Ratten. Good coaching can change alot. Right now I'm not seeing good coaching, just alot of players that are lost and not looking like winning.

I don't run purely on blind faith, gets you nowhere. If there's a problem I like to know why. That's the coach in me coming out of my sport.

He coaches the side you support, no?

Apart from that, no professional club in the world would strengthen their second side at the expense of their seniors, and as if you wouldn't be in here complaining exactly the same way if the ones were utterly noncompetitive but the twos were flying because a whole host of players should be in the AFL.

The VFL is good for teaching structure, for developing fitness and for providing confidence, but it is a terrible competition to learn and use pressure and AFL thought speeds; in short, it'd be great for our talls, but not for our smalls. And finally, the injuries we have had would make any attempt to insert players from the VFL side into the ones to drop kids - which is genuinely one of the more perplexing things I have read on here - a fraught one, as we simply do not have enough positional changes to do so.

Yes he does coach the side I support but I don’t think he is doin a good job at it. He’s offering his best though.

I don’t think we should be playing 1-3rd years 80% of the time in a season.

Weitering is an example. He is looking a shadow of his former self.

Last year SOS played 4-5 games in a row of excellent quality in the 2’s and carried it through to the seniors. This year it looks lost and he’s played everywhere bar the ruck.

Give them more time to harness their game and grow. Surely we didn’t trade for older players to be in the 2nds.

Last edited:
If you are determined to see things a particular way, I cannot stop you. It's a complete picture kind of thing, where his game has increased overall rather than a huge leap, and why you're insisting that vast improvement in a linear trajectory is the only kind of improvement is as though you actually want him to have stagnated.

Or maybe I think he has just genuinely stagnated and the stats back it up?

Said nothing of vast linear improvement, you sure love putting words in peoples mouths.

Or maybe I think he has just genuinely stagnated and the stats back it up?

Said nothing of vast linear improvement, you sure love putting words in peoples mouths.
You are requiring SPS to have improved significantly for anyone to say he's improved at all, so perhaps you should stop attempting to remove words from mine.

Again, the statistics bear out a small rise in performance, one which you can choose to distain if it suits you or your narrative. I also don't see why we're talking about SPS in the Bolton thread either, so feel free to quote me over in List management if you want to keep trying.

Last edited:
As I have previously stated, don't be fooled by average age numbers, they are extremely misleading. As an example the average age difference between us & the Saints on Friday night was only 5 months in their favour yet we played 11 players who were aged 21 or under, while they played 4. In other words, half our selected 22 were aged 21 or under & when Kreuzer went off very early in the game, our 21 & unders made up more than 50% of the team.

The imbalance in the age demographic of our list is killing us at the moment & this will take some time to overcome (another 2-3 years).
That is making no sense. So we had heaps of players under 21, I agree but then let’s get back to it,only 5 moths younger would mean that they still have players that are young too.
When all added up it was 5 months different.

You do realise Brisbane have only played finals once in the last 14 seasons & that was in 2009. That is a heck of a long time in which to put a competitive list together, yet at this stage of 2018 they have still won less games than they did in 2017. They may well end up matching last season's tally of wins, but you would expect 9 years after their last finals appearance they would be a little bit more advanced than this.
What a silly comment.
They haven’t been building for 9 years
Just it didn’t turn out the way they wanted. Not all teams who build properly make a strong list.

Yes he does coach the side I support but I don’t think he is doin a good job at it. He’s offering his best though.

I don’t think we should be playing 1-3rd years 80% of the time in a season.

Weitering is an example. He is looking a shadow of his former self.

Last year SOS played 4-5 games in a row of excellent quality in the 2’s and carried it through to the seniors. This year it looks lost and he’s played everywhere bar the ruck.

Give them more time to harness their game and grow. Surely we didn’t trade for older players to be in the 2nds.
Like I said, you would be about the only person asking for us to play the kids in the VFL rather than the AFL, and there are good reasons for that.

Secondly, injuries have deprived players of like for like positional changes that would allow us to drop underperforming/down-on-confidence kids to the VFL, as we simply lack the numbers to do so.

I also said literally all of this in my last post. Feel free to read it next time, instead of absorbing the first line or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back