Coaching Staff Brendon Bolton - Senior Coach - Locked in until end of 2020 (23/5/18)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
most who?

I dont think most think we are better off..
our players are struggling to do the non negotiables
most young players have gone backwards

ok take out Cripps and Curnow

who's going forwards
kerridge?
plowman?
Fisher?
Byrne?
Philips?
sps?
weitering?
Silvagni?
Cunningham?
Lamb?
McKay?
can go on and on
Fish has moved forwards
But yes a few names there that just stay where they are
Why is this?
Are our assistant coaches that bad they can’t develop a player a little bit each fortnight ?

Yeah, nah.

Most would agree we’re far better placed now than we were before the reset, with regards to young talent on the list.

Stage one was to regenerate the list and bring that young talent into the club.

Stage two is to develop them both individually and as a collective, and there’s no quick way to do that.
how?
you need to break it down
I'm not smart

so instead of saying we're in a better position you need to break it down and show how

it's not the win loss column only

how about pressure acts
or Medicos
or trades
or development
or reserves

you're simplifying things

lots of guys are either stagnating it going backwards
Seriously? take a number of players out of the reserves to cover for senior injuries and you have the same result as the seniors .
Development mostly ties in with the injuries.
Medicos sack and trades not sure what your getting at .

how?
you need to break it down
I'm not smart

so instead of saying we're in a better position you need to break it down and show how
do yourself (and the world) a favour and have a read - tell us we are worse off - our 4th wooden spoon to boot - please

http://www.blueseum.org/2015

link care of the wonderful blueseum :thumbsu:

Seriously? take a number of players out of the reserves to cover for senior injuries and you have the same result as the seniors .
Development mostly ties in with the injuries.
Medicos sack and trades not sure what your getting at .
when did injuries impact how much pressure you can put on the opposition?

can you explain that?

do yourself (and the world) a favour and have a read - tell us we are worse off - our 4th wooden spoon to boot - please

http://www.blueseum.org/2015

link care of the wonderful blueseum :thumbsu:
I'm not sure what you mean
we're taking about where this club has and is over twenty years
some people want to pull the wool over our eyes and pretend this is where the club envisaged we would be round 2 2015

we have hussled in draft and trade but go through them all and let's see how we score
so many have been delisted even from the ones we have brought in and others still to go

there's not much of a platform actually

there's no gameplan that can be seen with clarity
we don't score more than 65 points average
we don't have a midfield and rely on Cripps

no respect in the football World
laughing stock

ok - monologues are for shakespeare performances - out - and cellar for you
you can turn it into a dialogue if you had an argument .. but I don't think you can illustrate how we are going forward and players are developing
Game plan that you can understand
pressure you are watching on the ground
players getting great medical care
players lining up to come to us

etc etc etc

when did injuries impact how much pressure you can put on the opposition?

The makeup of the side most weeks due to injuries hasnt allowed it .
When your already short of running players on your list and then get a massive injury toll you end up with a very tall backline devoid of run . ( No Williamson Byrne Docherty )
A midfield minus the likes of Murphy Lang Kennedy etc for periods of the season players that can run out a game thus putting extra pressure on younger players that cant run out quarters and games then you have a drop in midfield pressure .
Forwards other than for the last couple of weeks Wright has been our main small forward i dont think forward pressure is possible is it with that forwardline makeup .
The makeup of the side regarding many factors has been effected massively due to way too many injuries and is perfectly understandable .

Not sure i have seen any honorable losses this year but i guess everyone has differing views views on what constitutes honourable.

Last year we won 6 games (i think) but there were probably 5 games we were in up to late in the game and could easily have won.

My disappointment this year is other than the game we won we have never really looked like we were a chance. Just totally uncompetitive every game except the * game.

I would argue that our honorable losses include:

• West Coast
  • Collingwood r14 (I will argue until I'm blue in the face that we were screwed out of; had the umpiring been close to 50/50 we're up 5+ goals at 3/4 time before we ran out of legs)
  • Port Adelaide in Simmo's 300th
Arguments can be made for the Geelong and Sydney games too.

We never really had a chance in most of those games but we played tough opponents as close as most teams. We weren't embarrassed.

Stage two is to develop them both individually and as a collective, and there’s no quick way to do that.

Stage two is what I am extremely concerned about.

• Lack of non-physical maturation development in the players
  • Stagnation from the majority of key youngsters
  • Key younger players demonstrating a clear lack of self confidence let alone a collective confidence which comes from winning
  • Lack of continuous development (e.g. the same stupid mistakes again and again; a team showing continuous development shows a multitude of examples of individuals finding new ways to screw up but growth from the ways in which they've screwed up in the past)

Nobody but Bolton and his key staff would have these answers. That he's actively calling it a slump is concerning for reasons I posited the other day.

Experience is more or less games

I ****ing hate this argument. Always have, always will. It's a drastic oversimplification that needs to go. It's like people think something clicks when a player has played a magic number of games. There's so much more to 'experience' and 'experiences' plural than having played a certain number of games. A lot of it is cultural. There's a reason why certain players click and others can play in their sport for a decade and be as dumb as nails. It's also why clubs like Sydney can have a guy come off of their rookie list or deep in the draft and expect a professional performance from them without question.

We need to get the right experiences into the players before they click.

We're getting more of the right talent into the team and that seems to be a given. However, are we getting the right experiences into said talent?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ll disagree with you point that we can’t put forward pressure with the makeup with have.

Out tall forwards, whether Charlie, casboult at times or any other tall forward target have plenty of times brought the ball yo ground, creating plenty of opportunities for players like wright, polson, Garlett and Pickett etc to lock it in.

Unfortunately even with our system of slow ball movement up the ground, we rarely if ever find any of these players waiting at the feet of our tall forwards and that to me is an issue of not working hard enough to cover ground, not inability to crumb or tackle.

I’ll disagree with you point that we can’t put forward pressure with the makeup with have.

Out tall forwards, whether Charlie, casboult at times or any other tall forward target have plenty of times brought the ball yo ground, creating plenty of opportunities for players like wright, polson, Garlett and Pickett etc to lock it in.

Unfortunately even with our system of slow ball movement up the ground, we rarely if ever find any of these players waiting at the feet of our tall forwards and that to me is an issue of not working hard enough to cover ground, not inability to crumb or tackle.
Wright is a slow as treacle he has about as much effect in locking it in as Casboult does .
Up until the last couple of weeks the others have played very little together in the seniors .
In fact possibly not at all bar rd 1 garlett +pickett .

This is why I wish people would lay off of Polson. He's not very good right now but the potential is there. Nobody else plays as hard as what he does with regards to forward pressure. He's the only small to medium sized forward we have right now who plays the modern game. He shows the right temperament for the job. I'd argue that he's one of the players I'm most proud of this year.

Big green shoots in a garden of weeds.

This is why I wish people would lay off of Polson. He's not very good right now but the potential is there. Nobody else plays as hard as what he does with regards to forward pressure. He's the only small to medium sized forward we have right now who plays the modern game. He shows the right temperament for the job. I'd argue that he's one of the players I'm most proud of this year.

Big green shoots in a garden of weeds.
I don't see it with Polson
he's not a crumber but can you play him Marc Murphy and Fisher together through the midfield

I don't see it with Polson
he's not a crumber but can you play him Marc Murphy and Fisher together through the midfield

He's not a crumber but he pressures the buggery out of the opposition defenders.

The other forward skills will develop. Don't judge him now. Judge him 12-24 months.

We need a scoring small forward to work with Curnow, McKay, a third tall (hopefully Jack) and Polson. When we get that crumber what Cam offers will be able to be appreciated much more.

Because, when you observe the complete list SOS has picked since he came to the club, you'll notice that the rate in which he's picked up talls against smalls has been roughly the same (across trades and drafting). This is despite the fact that in an AFL context you realistically need about 5-6 talls and 15-16 smalls to build a side.

We play a side without some of the kids, to ensure that the ones we already have in the ones are not unduly exposed, you have a whinge that we're not developing the kids (not without a basis, but still). We play all the kids, we're tall and unfit - due, in part, because from the drafting side of the ledger SOS has picked up a tall two out of every three picks - and we cannot run with our older stronger opposition, and you have a whinge about our lack of leadership and our poor development.

Look, I've become rather fed up. I'd prefer to come on here and commiserate with people concerning our fortunes this year. I enjoy a good argument, but I find that to be more or less all I'm doing recently, as I read attacks and vitriol and just nonsense, like someone left an overactive rottweiler puppy inside and it tore the place up. I understand that people - like you - are frustrated by a lack of perceived progress. Believe me, I get it. But constantly bemoaning the state of things, constantly grouping everyone that disagrees with you into some ubiquitous globule of internet people who disagree with you - 'heads in the sand, take your navy glasses off'; honestly, only on the Carlton forum of Bigfooty would you actually have a muppet trying to tell someone else that their support of Carlton was a bad thing! - being defensive and changing the goalposts on what exactly the argument is makes me beyond irritated, and into angry and tired.

I can keep this up, C2DB (hey, that's a catchy acronym!). I can and I will, because I have standards I refuse to let lapse. But one of the things I do miss isn't the sense of optimism as we headed into this season, or the season before. It isn't the humour that we still see, usually around Wednesday after the red haze has worn off from the weekend and before we've all talked ourselves into believing we can win again. It's in the good spirited arguing that simply doesn't happen anymore.

Right now, this board is split, fractured into individuals that support a team yet cannot stand to talk to each other. Once upon a time, we'd argue and we'd disagree, but now we have whole pages needing to be removed by the mods, with posters getting suspended left and right because each of us are too raw to truly not take things personally.

It saddens me, that we've come to this. But, like our side, we can only move forwards in time.

We have the talent in the squad, and every now and then you catch a glimpse of it. This is as good a draft as any to come last in, provided we can leverage our selections to ensure that we get multiple picks inside the top 20, as while there's lots of key position talent, there's also shitloads of midfielders, and while there are outside mids the majority are in/out or hard ball earners. There's x-factor all the way to the late second round.

This isn't really to do with Bolton, so if we need to continue this, quote me in List Management. Just realise that, while I do and probably will continue to disagree with you and the way you argue at times, we need to be a part of improving the discourse on here, and at the very least part of that starts with me.
Too long; read anyway.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

I had the same expectation, I thought we could grind out 7-9 wins

But injuries, put pay to that expectation after DOC went down, only got worse from there

Given our list, we could I'll afford to lose players for extended periods, ranked equal 1st for games missed.
If we were to get to 7-9 wins we really needed our best 22 to be able to play at least 18 games together. Then, that may have been around the mark. Sadly, it was not meant to be.

If we were to get to 7-9 wins we really needed our best 22 to be able to play at least 18 games together. Then, that may have been around the mark. Sadly, it was not meant to be.

I think the biggest thing that has given many of us the idea that we aren’t moving forward is not that we didn’t win 8-9 games or even 4-5 games.

It’s completely understandable that our chances of winning a bunch of games went out the window with our injuries, I’m guessing most of us can accept that.

But it isn’t just that we haven’t won the games we were hoping to win before injuries hit, it’s that we have gone from the hope of winning some games to the complete opposite where we aren’t even competitive against the other bottom sides.

Many of us can accept injuries as an excuse for not winning, but when we are asked to accept injuries as an excuse for getting thrashed by 10 goals by fellow bottom teams then we question how the rebuild is progressing when we are so far behind our peers at this stage

I think the biggest thing that has given many of us the idea that we aren’t moving forward is not that we didn’t win 8-9 games or even 4-5 games.

It’s completely understandable that our chances of winning a bunch of games went out the window with our injuries, I’m guessing most of us can accept that.

But it isn’t just that we haven’t won the games we were hoping to win before injuries hit, it’s that we have gone from the hope of winning some games to the complete opposite where we aren’t even competitive against the other bottom sides.

Many of us can accept injuries as an excuse for not winning, but when we are asked to accept injuries as an excuse for getting thrashed by 10 goals by fellow bottom teams then we question how the rebuild is progressing when we are so far behind our peers at this stage

Sure the Lions just beat the Hawks and Freo just beat Port

Don't mistaken ladder positions for capabilities

Let this sink in, Lions started their rebuild in 2013 and have TWO, best 22 out

They have had a healthy list all year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back