Coaching Staff Brendon Bolton - Senior Coach - Locked in until end of 2020 (23/5/18)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
...That's not a good thing, that's a poor reflection of the club that we don't give a shit about the last game of the year

Maybe but still reality for so many clubs. Tigers didn't go hard yesterday either, neither did GCS. Just reality and that's why I wouldn't make assessments of game styles or structures based on these games

My opinion on Bolton is still the same as it was last time I posted in this thread. Needs a chance with a fit and more experienced group. But there still are some queries.

Last year we looked more organised, we didn’t win every week but I knew what we were trying to achieve with our gameplan.

This year it’s the complete opposite. I understand some of it is absolutely related to talent but I also think the makings of a good coach is when they can implement a system where you can have players missing and still achieve results. If we’re so reliant on Docherty down back to look organised down there then that’s a serious concern.

To me it seems like we’ve wasted a whole season with Bolton coaching in a reactionary way to being belted on game day. Things like lining up with 2 forwards in the forward line and bombing it to Curnow all game. Why hasn’t there been at least some attempts throughout the year to play a certain style that we want to go with going forward? I think it’s far too simplistic to blame it all on the absence of certain players. Like I said a gameplan shouldn’t be dependent on certain blokes.

Our disposal has been abhorrent all year and a lot of it is on the players but I also question what the coaches are telling them to do. Why are they constantly insisting on dinky little kicks in the defensive 50 to 50/50 contests? Why do they think the right kick going into the 50 is to Curnow with 4 blokes around him?

Next year I want to see signs that Bolton has a consistent gameplan that he wants this list to implement for the foreseeable future. No more flooding our backline because our midfield isn’t good enough.

Building good habits is extremely important for future success.

I think Weitering getting hurt might have initiated the numbers back, maybe someone can confirm. Tbh these half full Marvel stadium games against interstate sides always fill me with dread. Low energy, no pressure, we invariably look awful and get thumped. What is the best structure for a bottom 4 list when we know it's gonna be a bad day at the office? Numbers back, man on man or something else? My own thinking is that we just need to suck it up for another 30 games and talk about what isn't working, blaming Bolton directly is shallow scapegoating.

Followed up by Curnow and with Crippa playing with a sore ankle.

IMO after both went off and the lack of midfield, even daisy was starting in the centre on multiple occasions, it was always heading towards a 100 pointer.

Blokes like Kingy again demonstrating their preference for the easy sledge rather than a more considered bit of analysis.

Maybe but still reality for so many clubs. Tigers didn't go hard yesterday either, neither did GCS. Just reality and that's why I wouldn't make assessments of game styles or structures based on these games

One of the certainties of footy at any level is that if your not contending for finals the last game of the year cant end quickly enough.

...That's not a good thing, that's a poor reflection of the club that we don't give a shit about the last game of the year
How was it a poor reflection of the club. Fielded their best available side, run more than the crows in the game even with two less rotation for a large chunk of the game. The angriest I have seen JSOS was when he was turned away for a rotation, after doing the same a couple of times previously, swore so loud it could be heard in the half way up level 1.

I get we are all disappointed but lets get some perspective.

Exactly, bang on ! Also to add to this all those that are unsure about his match day credentials, give him a good side which we are very slowly developing with a healthy injury list and then judge. To judge him right now with no cattle/class is a bit harsh imo.
Didnt he go something like 6 - 0 coaching the Hawks when Clarko was ill?

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

How do you know? I don't. Really like to know how you are so sure. Clarko seemed to think he was very good. If he had a good mature list then maybe we could tell. When you have a young side that chnages very week and is supported by deckchairs I struggle to tell

We have been moving backwards, winning less games and losing by bigger margins year on year. It doesnt take a nuclear physicist to figure out he is not a very good head coach. Excellent person and teacher but thats where it stops

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It gets real for Bolton now, I wonder what the current plan is, what are the club doing in terms of remedying the support mechanisms around him, what are they doing for his development, how will he be measured?

We can’t hide behind youth and injuries forever, we need to see development of both the list and development of the coach and his team.

Turning people over with out seeing how they perform fully resourced only sets the next person up to fail. I am not referencing an injury free list here, that’s an inherit part of professional contact sport.

Will be an interesting off season to see if the club fails Bolts, if Bolts fails the club, or if we see development from both.

Followed up by Curnow and with Crippa playing with a sore ankle.

IMO after both went off and the lack of midfield, even daisy was starting in the centre on multiple occasions, it was always heading towards a 100 pointer.

Blokes like Kingy again demonstrating their preference for the easy sledge rather than a more considered bit of analysis.
we won the clearances, inside 50s and contested possessions. That's gotta be the first time ever for an 100 point loss surely. This wasn't a case of our midfield getting dominated, it was a case of one team knowing how to move the ball and one team being laughably inept at it.

My opinion on Bolton is still the same as it was last time I posted in this thread. Needs a chance with a fit and more experienced group. But there still are some queries.

Last year we looked more organised, we didn’t win every week but I knew what we were trying to achieve with our gameplan.

This year it’s the complete opposite. I understand some of it is absolutely related to talent but I also think the makings of a good coach is when they can implement a system where you can have players missing and still achieve results. If we’re so reliant on Docherty down back to look organised down there then that’s a serious concern.

To me it seems like we’ve wasted a whole season with Bolton coaching in a reactionary way to being belted on game day. Things like lining up with 2 forwards in the forward line and bombing it to Curnow all game. Why hasn’t there been at least some attempts throughout the year to play a certain style that we want to go with going forward? I think it’s far too simplistic to blame it all on the absence of certain players. Like I said a gameplan shouldn’t be dependent on certain blokes.

Our disposal has been abhorrent all year and a lot of it is on the players but I also question what the coaches are telling them to do. Why are they constantly insisting on dinky little kicks in the defensive 50 to 50/50 contests? Why do they think the right kick going into the 50 is to Curnow with 4 blokes around him?

Next year I want to see signs that Bolton has a consistent gameplan that he wants this list to implement for the foreseeable future. No more flooding our backline because our midfield isn’t good enough.

Building good habits is extremely important for future success.

You’ve summed my thoughts pretty nicely.

Definitely agree with you regarding disposal and organisation in particular. Would be hard to argue that we’ve become more organised. And it’s hard to see the what our style is. Chipping the ball round slowly definitely isn’t the answer.

As for our disposal. At times our use of the footy as really let us down (like last night) and I would’ve thought that if we’re going to take some steps forward next year this would be something we’d need to work hard on in the preseason.

we won the clearances, inside 50s and contested possessions. That's gotta be the first time ever for an 100 point loss surely. This wasn't a case of our midfield getting dominated, it was a case of one team knowing how to move the ball and one team being laughably inept at it.
Remember when we had players like Betts and Garlett (to a lesser extent) who fought tooth and nail to keep the ball in our forward line. We just dont have those types in our team. If you can get the ball inside 50 more times than the opposition, but cant keep it there. Its not a coaching problem, its a lack of talent problem.

Remember when we had players like Betts and Garlett (to a lesser extent) who fought tooth and nail to keep the ball in our forward line. We just dont have those types in our team. If you can get the ball inside 50 more times than the opposition, but cant keep it there. Its not a coaching problem, its a lack of talent problem.

We lost by 100 points. It's not a matter of keeping the ball in (that certainly helps though) but rather the quality of entry, which was awful as the forward line was setup in such a way that half the time we didn't have a single target in the 50, despite playing 3 strong marking talls. That is inexcusable.

it's both, some quality small forwards will definitely help capitalise on our entries.

but there's no structure or method to how we go forward. there are no players running to find space and get separation from their opponent. so far the 2 coaching moves bolton has in his repertoire are 'here docherty fix this defense' and 'kick ball in air for forwards to take contested mark'.

He is in terrible trouble he as no defensive or offensive structures at the moment, and we aren't applying much pressure. I would think he could easily be gone by end of 2019. The only positive so far is the culture seems to be holding up with players largely staying. For now even if he can't coach we may as well keep him as we are still 4 to 5 years away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back