Brighton Homes Arena (Springfield) discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

Seems like just as far to Springfield. Closer to the airport I suppose.

Closer to the Goldie if the players want to base themselves there.

There are plenty of teams in the AFL that aren't based in the area that they are named, such as St Kilda, Essendon, ect.

I was being a bit facetious there. But that was one of the objections to Springfield.

Could be pure snobbery but the Redlands is a lot more palatable than Ipswich. Having said that I live Eastern Suburbs and my grandparents lived in Birkdale for a while so I know it to a degree.

Is this land anywhere near the old "Royal Howesten" golf course at Birkdale. Some of the boys will appreciate that. Not a bad weekender course.

Well if that is the location, all I can say is just as well Fev has gone! He would never be at training.:D

seriously though, is that Doomben location near the airport....that would be handy for all the flying the boys do.

Well if that is the location, all I can say is just as well Fev has gone! He would never be at training.:D

seriously though, is that Doomben location near the airport....that would be handy for all the flying the boys do.

Would be 10-15 mins to the airport and has a train station 2 mins walk away. The size of the land would be the only problem, not 100% sure if it could support a gabba sized field and indoor area.

Could be pure snobbery but the Redlands is a lot more palatable than Ipswich. Having said that I live Eastern Suburbs and my grandparents lived in Birkdale for a while so I know it to a degree.

Is this land anywhere near the old "Royal Howesten" golf course at Birkdale. Some of the boys will appreciate that. Not a bad weekender course.

Is it just me or does the Bay area stink like dead fish some days?

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds like a Geelong beat up to me. They are currently negotiating the next stages of the Kardinia development and clearly want to up the ante. Hawthorn on the other hand are planning a redevelopment but are some distance from having the facilities that Frawley says are so important. The inconvenient truth might just be that he wants to play with a team that promises a better chance of premierships.

Dunno. While obviously valid points are raised, and no doubt facilities enter the equation, the Geelong thing sounds more like story for gain. Not discounting the fact that players will look for good facilities when considering a move, but was that really the case here (Geelong)?
A player moving from Footstcray to Port might quote football success or chance to play finals as a reason, but deciding between 2 top 8 teams, a player would look like a dick saying "I chose Hawthorn because they're a better chance at another Premiership. The facilities thing sounds like a convenient excuse to avoid sounding like a tool.
From the other side of the fence, Geelong are negotiating better use out of Simonds Stadium and better/more facilities. The content may be close to the truth, but there might be some mayo on it to further their cause.
It's a shame when a valid argument is spoilt by agendas which cast aspersions on the issue.

Sounds like a Geelong beat up to me. They are currently negotiating the next stages of the Kardinia development and clearly want to up the ante. Hawthorn on the other hand are planning a redevelopment but are some distance from having the facilities that Frawley says are so important. The inconvenient truth might just be that he wants to play with a team that promises a better chance of premierships.
Snap.

Lions facility dumped

BREAKING NEWS: THE Brisbane Lions have announced that they have scrapped plans to build a $60 million elite training and administration facility at Springfield.

Plans to build the centre near the Springfield Central railway station were announced in August, 2013, with claims the Federal Government would contribute $15 million.

Hopefully there's more detailed articles on the way (perhaps).

Edit: I mean it's not really anything we don't already know, but the fact there's a new article about it might mean some more news will come out about the search.

Last edited:
Lions facility dumped

Hopefully there's more detailed articles on the way (perhaps).

Edit: I mean it's not really anything we don't already know, but the fact there's a new article about it might mean some more news will come out about the search.
Breaking? Slow day at The Times?
Not even a story to accompany, and hardly "breaking".
Bizarre

Breaking? Slow day at The Times?
Not even a story to accompany, and hardly "breaking".
Bizarre
That's what I thought. I assumed there would be more coming considering that it's not breaking or news.

Itisamystery.gif

That's what I thought. I assumed there would be more coming considering that it's not breaking or news.

Itisamystery.gif
You know how sometimes a news page slips through in template form, like having text saying "insert commentary here"? Maybe a page from last year has shaken loose from the pile and inserted itself in today's news.

Hah, Ipswich Council blaming us. Didn't help that their dodgy environmental approval processes put a massive whiff of corruption over the whole project at a very crucial time.

Brighton Homes Arena (Springfield) discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back