Brighton Homes Arena (Springfield) discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

Not talking about Taringa, talking about the ground at Chelmer.

"Not much benefit to the juniors" - apart from a clear progression to senior football from start to finish from one club?

I was talking about Kenmore Bears Juniors/Seniors. There is a benefit to the juniors in having the pathway. There is something of a 'cost' in terms of oval usage and providing more expensive facilities/equipment etc to seniors who would contribute less to the club financially than a large base of juniors and parents. It is something for the junior club to consider before allowing the senior club to come and play at the oval was my only point. The Wests Juniors tie up with UQ is a good one and I think Kenmore Juniors have also looked at a tie up there as a form of pathway for the juniors. Both clubs would just like to avoid having some of their best and brightest poached by Sherwood via the loophole that is the Western Magpies.

In any case, I reckon the Lions at Chelmer is zero chance. They're looking for commercial/development/joint venture type opportunities that can be tied into the wider 'facility' and that's not going to be possible at Chelmer or Taringa.

Last edited:
I don't think the GPS schools offer much in terms of an Aussie Rules pathway. What they can offer is a high performance sporting program embedded into the school environment. The resources available at these schools need to be seen to be believed.

They offer fee waivers/discounts as a marketing tool to enhance their reputation of 'success'. It works

They offer fee waivers/discounts as a marketing tool to enhance their reputation of 'success'. It works

If it wasn't for that I would have ended up at Boonah or Bremer...

Still the jokes on them because I wasted their money both academically and on the sporting field...

I remember back in the early 90's, the QAFL was trying to get AFL into the GPS with little success.

They then brought in the comp to be played after the rugby competition, and it seemed to go well for a while.

I umpired the grand final in the first year at Coorparoo and there were more people at that game than nearly any other I had been involved in.

Do they still play the GPS competition??

Vossy went to Trinity College. Fairly sure he never attended a GPS.

No doubt you are correct, although TC will have been included as part of the GPS trial, as it was, conducted as I recall with the very lukewarm support of the various GPS principals who then and now have a long-standing commitment to Union.

Not sure every school plays.

Nudgee, State High, BBC and Churchie I think still play each year. There's also a comp for the TAS schools, and also one for the AIC schools. Then all those common state school in other comps.

Back in 97-98 when it first came in (or when IGS first started playing in it) it wasn't an official GPS or TAS competition but seemed to be a third party competition that had teams entered from both school groups and only went for 6 weeks or so. I don't know if it is still the case - I didn't actually play in it because it clashed with fencing.

I know there were GPS teams around in 96, if not a little before then. Can't recall the details of the comp though. They certainly didn't run down to H grades like the union teams though. ;)

Back in 97-98 when it first came in (or when IGS first started playing in it) it wasn't an official GPS or TAS competition but seemed to be a third party competition that had teams entered from both school groups and only went for 6 weeks or so. I don't know if it is still the case - I didn't actually play in it because it clashed with fencing.
We lost a lot of kids to IGS, if you were decent under 12 they came and offered whatever and most took it.

So do you just work with wood fences or the whole spectrum of electrified as well?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We lost a lot of kids to IGS, if you were decent under 12 they came and offered whatever and most took it.

So do you just work with wood fences or the whole spectrum of electrified as well?

I've got a few scars on me from accidentally electrifying a barbed wire fence. That really isn't fun.

Decent u/12 at what sport?

my recollection is that they had heaps of kids on Rugby & Athletics scholarships, but other sports didn't interest them.

Having said that, my son went there on a sporting/academic scholarship from 96 to 98, and his main sporting vocation was cricket.

my recollection is that they had heaps of kids on Rugby & Athletics scholarships, but other sports didn't interest them.

Having said that, my son went there on a sporting/academic scholarship from 96 to 98, and his main sporting vocation was cricket.

If he was in grade 12 in 98 I probably knew him.

Cricket and league, but especially cricket the fassifern area lost a lot to IGS. Not so much athletics but I put that down to a lot of kids excelling more in high school than being good juniors.

It's Nathan or status quo according to 'sources'

dfsgfdgsdfgdssdfUntitled.jpg

or

fgdfgdsgdfgdsgdfg.jpg

Decision makes itself, really.

Brighton Homes Arena (Springfield) discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back