Brighton Homes Arena (Springfield) discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

Doesn't that area next to Metricon flood badly? Hope those buildings are raised off the ground.
Looks like they are:

d0HwDRt.jpg

Assuming this is for converting the ovals and other various conversions to the Comm Games facilities, that figure is really more like $135mill.
Seems like a lot of money and yet the Lions don't appear to be able to get their hands on anything.

Seems like a lot of money and yet the Lions don't appear to be able to get their hands on anything.

You do realise the Commonwealth Games are on the Gold Coast, not in Brisbane?

:thumbsu:......Not a bad little setup......shame we can't get some money to do similar. We are so far behind the eight ball compared to majority of other teams.

Almost seems unfair..

I do. Does the $27 million the Broncos recently received for training facilities have anything to do with the Commonwealth Games?

No, that's got everything to do with them being the Broncos. You're really showing your ignorance of how Queensland sport works - any precedent for the Broncos cannot be applied to any other sport except maybe the Bulls.

No, that's got everything to do with them being the Broncos. You're really showing your ignorance of how Queensland sport works - any precedent for the Broncos cannot be applied to any other sport except maybe the Bulls.
You're being really arrogant for no reason. Is this a 'Lions supporters only' thread or something?

So what about the $100 million Labor pledged to the new Townsville Stadium? Or the $150 million Liberal pledged to the same project? I know it wasn't enough to get the project started but the point stands. The Titans and Lions seem to be missing out while everyone else is securing funding.

I do. Does the $27 million the Broncos recently received for training facilities have anything to do with the Commonwealth Games?
They didn't get anywhere near that much, they got $5m from federal government and peppercorn lease on land from state & local government.

You're being really arrogant for no reason. Is this a 'Lions supporters only' thread or something?

The poster has a great history of coming and telling us what we already know. I'm guessing you're just reading this thread, not his posting history on the Lions board.

So what about the $100 million Labor pledged to the new Townsville Stadium? Or the $150 million Liberal pledged to the same project? I know it wasn't enough to get the project started but the point stands. The Titans and Lions seem to be missing out while everyone else is securing funding.

League. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

no the titans got their funding a new stadium that they designed!
the Broncos also are getting some funding for their training facility:rolleyes:

good old League continue to have a strong hold on government funding! oh well it osnt making their game any more popular

no the titans got their funding a new stadium that they designed!
the Broncos also are getting some funding for their training facility:rolleyes:

good old League continue to have a strong hold on government funding! oh well it osnt making their game any more popular

League is insanely popular where I live. TV ratings for NRL compare very well with AFL, I wouldn't be fooled by the empty seats, a helluva lot of voters love league.

League is insanely popular where I live. TV ratings for NRL compare very well with AFL, I wouldn't be fooled by the empty seats, a helluva lot of voters love league.
I've never really understood how they can love their code so much but not want to go and watch it live.

I've never really understood how they can love their code so much but not want to go and watch it live.

The common views I've heard are 1. league as a game is more t.v friendly than AFL (apparently NRL does better than AFL on Foxtel) and 2. NRL support is more concentrated amongst lower-income people who might not be able to afford to go to games as much. I've even heard point 2 used as a reason why GWS will never pull crowds but probably not their biggest reason for poor numbers so far and the Wanderers don't seem to have too much trouble getting people along.

The common views I've heard are 1. league as a game is more t.v friendly than AFL (apparently NRL does better than AFL on Foxtel) and 2. NRL support is more concentrated amongst lower-income people who might not be able to afford to go to games as much. I've even heard point 2 used as a reason why GWS will never pull crowds but probably not their biggest reason for poor numbers so far and the Wanderers don't seem to have too much trouble getting people along.

#1 is definitely true.

I'd also add Foxtel is better value for money than family memberships for most people, and doubly so when you don't have a lot of disposable income.

GWS numbers are more due to not being very good and Sydney being similar to Brisbane in its bandwagoners - WSW dropped 2,000 attendees per game this year with their shocker, despite being Asian champions.

If this were the case, shouldn't Fox Footy be for NRL?

NRL gets better viewer numbers, in part because Foxtel gets the NRL over a barrel and claims a lot of the premium games exclusively for itself. Until this year (IIRC) the NRL only showed three games out of eight live on FTA - if you were interested in league, you really did need Foxtel. All in part because of the ARL/Super League/NRL/News Limited fiasco that left the NRL beholden to News Limited cash for a very long time, though they're finally heading towards being self-sustaining. However as a result of the NRL's weaker position, Foxtel's high penetration into Queensland and NSW and the limited appeal of NRL into the rest of Australia, the cost/benefit ratio was never really as good for buying NRL games at the same rate as AFL games.

AFL has weaker viewer numbers, but has much better numbers in Victoria, SA and WA where Foxtel penetration is lower, as well as a solid position in Queensland and NSW, making it a true national competition. They also got an extra game a week in content. Bidding wars between Seven, Nine and (sometimes) Ten helped push up the FTA component compared to the NRL as well.

NRL gets better viewer numbers, in part because Foxtel gets the NRL over a barrel and claims a lot of the premium games exclusively for itself. Until this year (IIRC) the NRL only showed three games out of eight live on FTA - if you were interested in league, you really did need Foxtel. All in part because of the ARL/Super League/NRL/News Limited fiasco that left the NRL beholden to News Limited cash for a very long time, though they're finally heading towards being self-sustaining. However as a result of the NRL's weaker position, Foxtel's high penetration into Queensland and NSW and the limited appeal of NRL into the rest of Australia, the cost/benefit ratio was never really as good for buying NRL games at the same rate as AFL games.

AFL has weaker viewer numbers, but has much better numbers in Victoria, SA and WA where Foxtel penetration is lower, as well as a solid position in Queensland and NSW, making it a true national competition. They also got an extra game a week in content. Bidding wars between Seven, Nine and (sometimes) Ten helped push up the FTA component compared to the NRL as well.
Do you think there's a likelihood of Foxtel gaining every NRL game live each round at the next TV rights deal? Surely Foxtel would create a Fox League channel or something similiar if that were the case. As you said, there's been a limit on what Foxtel can show live, but if it's as popular as you say, it'd be in Foxtel's best interest to invest in a dedicated channel!

Do you think there's a likelihood of Foxtel gaining every NRL game live each round at the next TV rights deal? Surely Foxtel would create a Fox League channel or something similiar if that were the case. As you said, there's been a limit on what Foxtel can show live, but if it's as popular as you say, it'd be in Foxtel's best interest to invest in a dedicated channel!

You'd think they'd have to have an aim of getting every game live. They'll be able to use the AFL deal as an example, and the world hasn't ended there. No idea about the Fox League channel - IIRC Fox Footy is used as a bargaining chip, and Foxtel throws it in (or takes it out) depending on how the deal with the AFL goes. It's of more interest to the AFL than to Foxtel, probably as cheap advertising on the AFL's behalf (watch AFL at any time...). Is it as appealing to the NRL? No idea.

Remove this Banner Ad

Brighton Homes Arena (Springfield) discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back