Brisbane: Not in too bad shape.

Remove this Banner Ad

A month or so ago I would have thought 8 was unrealistic, but yeah the landscape has shifted somewhat.

Beating Melbourne and the Suns would get us to 7.

Doggies at the Gabba in round 23 should be a win based on what we saw yesterday.

St Kilda, Richmond and Adelaide will go in favorites at the Gabba but arent foregone conclusions.

Port at AAMI is a potential win if the Power are slightly off their game.

Can't realistically see us beating Sydney, Carlton or West Coast away.

Young players can fall away pretty quickly in the second half of the season, but anything less than 7 wins would be pretty dissapointing from here.

Agree with you that 8 would be solid. 9 or 10 is not beyond possibility and that would be a pretty big tick for the year.

I see our biggest problem being the devastating dimensions of our defeats. I must say I've been less than impressed by Lions' supporters bagging of Voss. Some decisions he made in the draft of three years ago proved not to have been so great, but apart from Fev, cost us little. During the two years following, when we were towards the bottom of the ladder and could have expected some high picks, that the drafts were compromised didn't help. The blokes we did pick up in those drafts seem to be coming along, which means that Voss's selection of players and his training of them don't deserve to be questioned as fiercely as they have been.

Looking at it, for the sake of getting some decent picks, probably the worst thing we could do would be to finish in or near the 8. This would place us in a similar plight to when we didn't plummet to the bottom of the ladder after our salad days of the premierships, but rather hung around the middle of the ladder. This is not to say that I'd not enjoy us winning a few more games though.

Looking at it, for the sake of getting some decent picks, probably the worst thing we could do would be to finish in or near the 8. This would place us in a similar plight to when we didn't plummet to the bottom of the ladder after our salad days of the premierships, but rather hung around the middle of the ladder. This is not to say that I'd not enjoy us winning a few more games though.
A clump of half-decent sides (St K, Carl, Freo, Rich & arguably North) around the bottom of the 8 effectively rules that out of the question.

Which leaves the Lions, Dogs & Power probably fighting for 13th-15th (picks 5-8, Dogs have 2).

A
Yeah that's about what I got. 3 more "should wins", and a sneaky chance in another 2-3 = 8, minimum.

Pretty hard for a fwd to develop in front of a rubbish midfield (or a backman behind them), and while it's a way off the finished article, you can see what they're driving at.
Still think the fwd line is a bit of an issue but the midfield somewhat have their shit together, and generally competitive so it'll give <insert name here> a chance.

See, I actually can say nice things about the Lions!! :eek: :D

As you would know Slatts, cynicism can be a very powerful motivating force!;)

I don't know whether Brisbane are improving, but their opposition were dire.

Ahhh, that old chestnut nut: 'only won because the opposition played poorly'

Was wondering why the tigers were winning games.

In all seriousness, I'm a firm believer that you only play as well as the opposition lets you.

Still some way to go but credit where credit is due.

I think Brissie have a very tidy group of youngsters coming together. Definitely making headway. Makes it all the worse they didn't hang on to the kiddy they sent down to Carlton and the draft pick for Fev.

Living in Brisbane, I have no choice but to watch both Lions and Suns games on 7. And an amazing thing has happened to me this year. I have gone from a decade long, Voss driven hatred of the Lions, to watching and cheering for them on a weekly basis. Except for the drubbing we gave them at the Gabba a few weeks ago.

They have some great kids coming through, and a win in Melbourne, against a Dogs side who I thought had been pretty competitive this year, was a really good one. And they have Zorko the magnificent. Instant cult figure.

A clump of half-decent sides (St K, Carl, Freo, Rich & arguably North) around the bottom of the 8 effectively rules that out of the question.

Which leaves the Lions, Dogs & Power probably fighting for 13th-15th (picks 5-8, Dogs have 2).

Kudos on the Attention Il Est Myron avatar.

i really hope brisbane dont make the finals

few reasons why

1.will play whoever finishes 5th which could be anyone from geelong to hawthorn

2.will most likely get destroyed like essendon have been which could actually do more bad than good

3.they are clearly not ready for finals being the 3rd? youngest list

i really hope brisbane dont make the finals

few reasons why

1.will play whoever finishes 5th which could be anyone from geelong to hawthorn

2.will most likely get destroyed like essendon have been which could actually do more bad than good

3.they are clearly not ready for finals being the 3rd? youngest list

Doesn't seem to have hurt Essendon too badly so far this year!

I don't think we'll make finals, but don't be mistaken - to do so would be an absolute blessing.

Doesn't seem to have hurt Essendon too badly so far this year!

I don't think we'll make finals, but don't be mistaken - to do so would be an absolute blessing.

Yep, agree, finals are worth 10 games of experience compared to a normal H&A game. That being said; we wont make finals in 2012.

Living in Brisbane, I have no choice but to watch both Lions and Suns games on 7. And an amazing thing has happened to me this year. I have gone from a decade long, Voss driven hatred of the Lions, to watching and cheering for them on a weekly basis. Except for the drubbing we gave them at the Gabba a few weeks ago.

They have some great kids coming through, and a win in Melbourne, against a Dogs side who I thought had been pretty competitive this year, was a really good one. And they have Zorko the magnificent. Instant cult figure.

Same thing with me in Brisbane. It's clear from some of the comments in this thread that people don't watch the Lions that much.

Brisbanes top 15 players are as good as anyone's. Depth just drops off after that. I hope they make a play for Tippett as they need a long term replacement for browny.

id be interested to see the 15 bc if thats the case then they are under performing bigtime.

agreed. if any team's top 15 "is as good as anyone's" then their bottom 7 isn't going to be bad enough to bring them as far down as brisbane are.

they are still struggling a bit in the present, mainly through lack of star power imo.

but the future is looking much brighter than it was 2 years ago with the likes of Rockliff, Rich, Redden and now Zorko coming through. Polec i've got big wraps on but must admit i'm not sure how he is travelling. There's a couple of other young lads too.

I wouldn't be too downhearted as a lions fan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Polec i've got big wraps on but must admit i'm not sure how he is travelling. There's a couple of other young lads too.

Challenging Rich, Drummond and Black for title of best ball user at the club. Just needs to work on his engine because he doesn't have the tank to get to enough contests at the moment.

Brisbane are quite terrible imo :eek:

Brown and Black are still their best players and they will be gone most likely end of the year. They have gone backwards this year whereas last year, they only lost most games between 3-5 goals, they lose by an average margin of 52 points this season.

Nothing exceptional coming through apart from Rockliff, Polec, Rich, Redden and perhaps Zorko (albeit minimal exposure so far).
You look at where they might be in 2 or 3 years time and the gap between their experienced players and the youngsters is far too extreme.

They have six 28+ year olds in the best 22 while another 5 or so who are aged between 26-27 and then a few kids who would be lucky to get a game at most other teams inside the top 8.

Brisbane are quite terrible imo :eek:

Brown and Black are still their best players and they will be gone most likely end of the year. They have gone backwards this year whereas last year, they really only lost most games between 3-5 goals, they lose by an average margin of 52 points.

Nothing exceptional coming through apart from Rockliff, Polec, Rich, Redden and perhaps Zorko (albeit minimal exposure so far).
You look at where they might be in 2 or 3 years time and the gap between their experienced players and the youngsters is far too extreme.

They have six 28+ year olds in the best 22 while another 5 or so who are aged between 26-27 and then a few kids who would be lucky to get a game at most other teams inside the top 8.

I was going to respond with the facts....but now can't be bothered.

Challenging Rich, Drummond and Black for title of best ball user at the club. Just needs to work on his engine because he doesn't have the tank to get to enough contests at the moment.
Quite a few lions players have overtaken Black in that regard.

I was going to respond with the facts....but now can't be bothered.

don't care about facts, every team has injuries etc, etc...Voss is a terrible coach and has hurt the club not only for the current period but for your future.
You have some players just stagnating and not getting the best out of themselves and really, there is no other person to blame than the bloke who organizes his list on a weekly basis as well as picking what the list needs come draft day.

don't care about facts, every team has injuries etc, etc...Voss is a terrible coach and has hurt the club not only for the current period but for your future.
You have some players just stagnating and not getting the best out of themselves and really, there is no other person to blame than the bloke who organizes his list on a weekly basis as well as picking what the list needs come draft day.

Ahhhh, never a truer word said on BigFooty. Check mate :D

Please. Tell me more about Voss's "disastrous" recruiting apart from Fevola and X.Clarke, and how it has impacted our future. He has made a mistake, and is fixing it well enough.

The "facts" you presented is just the same regurgitated rubbish from the HUN, Hutchie, Madame Caro, etc.. My overflowing toilet spews less crap.

Clearly you seem to know much more about the Lions than any of us mere mortals :rolleyes: Seeing that your mob as an AFL force is virtually over, maybe you should venture over to Sleepy Hollow and make sure they don't suffer the same fate as what the Mighty Brisbane Lions did.

I think Brissie have a very tidy group of youngsters coming together. Definitely making headway. Makes it all the worse they didn't hang on to the kiddy they sent down to Carlton and the draft pick for Fev.
It's not necessarily that they've lost Henderson, it's that they haven't found a (long-term) replacement. Maguire (28) Patfull (27) & (when he's down there) Merrett (27) do the job... but for how long. Liked McKeever last year, but he's apaprently fallen off the face of the earth.
Ironically they seem more like Carlton in that they've targeted midfield midfield midfield to get them out of a rut, and somewhat neglected the talls.
A tall back or two surely has to be priority #1. Even with those guys doing a solid job.

It's not necessarily that they've lost Henderson, it's that they haven't found a (long-term) replacement. Maguire (28) Patfull (27) & (when he's down there) Merrett (27) do the job... but for how long. Liked McKeever last year, but he's apaprently fallen off the face of the earth.
Ironically they seem more like Carlton in that they've targeted midfield midfield midfield to get them out of a rut, and somewhat neglected the talls.
A tall back or two surely has to be priority #1. Even with those guys doing a solid job.

Like all teams, just because they aren't playing seniors doesn't mean they don't have them developing. If it was a Victorian team we would be hearing daily about the 'superstars' on the playing lists who will be playing in the future as they get older. That won't get a mention for Brisbane and will be assumed the only talent is visible talent.

I'm not too concerned about the lions' defence in future, can't play all the teenagers in your 22 or you just won't be competitive.

I agree with most sentiments in this thread (except those that clearly don't watch games and follow an assumption opinion as they are too lazy to form their own). We have quite a way to go but things are looking up finally and the development is starting to show, causing some eyebrows to be raised as apparently we had wasted our last 5 years not drafting well and only giving recycled players a go.

Forward line needs to be the focus as the developing players arguably aren't progressing as hoped.

Like all teams, just because they aren't playing seniors doesn't mean they don't have them developing. If it was a Victorian team we would be hearing daily about the 'superstars' on the playing lists who will be playing in the future as they get older. That won't get a mention for Brisbane and will be assumed the only talent is visible talent.

I'm not too concerned about the lions' defence in future, can't play all the teenagers in your 22 or you just won't be competitive.
In a side that's had more downs than ups, that somewhat came into my thinking, yes.
Maybe rather than whinge, fill us in? Where's Crisp looking like fitting in? Docherty? Not quite sure whether they'll become key position types or in-betweeners.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back