Bryce Gibbs v Cyril Rioli

Remove this Banner Ad

Of all the non Carlton-Hawthorn supporters there is only 1 post backing Rioli over Gibbs, and that was from a potentially jealous Adelaide supporter.
There are around a dozen posts backing Gibbs.

I think that sums up the truth of the matter !! ;)

The kids 19, and he's already racking up 30 posi's, over 10 marks, and multiple goals. Freak.

Will be better than Judd. Bookmark it.

jonoman, i expected better from a senior BF poster. Better than Judd? Carlton or WCE Judd?

The kid's average, he's already racking up the disposals, no problems there, has good all-round ability, but that's about it.

Cyril on the other hand, is brilliant, and is only getting started. Already cutting up teams with 13 possessions a game, all he needs is another couple of years to improve his possessions per game, and he'll be truly elite.

u know what hodgepodge, you being a hawks supporter leaves a bad impression on you and your fellow supporters... ur a idiot get over the carlton thing move on u pathetic ****...

Serious question mods...

Why have you allowed this thread to get to six pages and counting?

We have a polls board for exactly this type of thread. I appreciate it is already over flowing with a number of moronic threads by the same nuffy that created this one, but surely there is room for one more.

I'd take Gibbs and easily. He is more versatile. He can play inside and outside as a midfielder, can play as a tagger and is very capable up forward. Give me 10 Bryce Gibbs' over one Rioli. Look Rioli was good lasy year but in a poor side Gibbs is standing out. It is easy to look good when your side is winning.

I see no arguments for Gibbs in that thread either. More of a quiet acceptance amongst carlton fans. The silence is deafening.

Dude, get your facts right (Note to self - Look who I'm talking to). No one but a small amount of Hawks fans are agreeing with you...

What a ridiculous comparison.

One is a small forward and one is a midfielder.

FWIW I think that Rioli is more exciting to watch but Gibbs will be the better player.

If i had to choose one it would be Gibbs easily.

happy to see the support for BG, but this seems like a pointless thread!

And thats just one Page 1 of your thread on Bay 13 let alone all the arguements against Rioli on this thread... Read peoples responses before posting crap you moron!!!!...

Dude, get your facts right (Note to self - Look who I'm talking to). No one but a small amount of Hawks fans are agreeing with you...

And thats just one Page 1 of your thread on Bay 13 let alone all the arguements against Rioli on this thread... Read peoples responses before posting crap you moron!!!!...

Meh, Essendon fans are just sour they missed out on junior boy. Unfortunately there's no uncle/nephew rule yet.

If football was about accruing stats, then Gibbs would be your man.

If you want real impact however, it's Rioli.

Gibbs is good at getting the easy ball though, we'll give him that. Rioli has to learn to not be as hard at it at times, and stand on the outside waiting for the handball receive. And in time, he will.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Starting to doubt whether this guy is a genuine Hawks supporter.

Gotta be an opposition supporter masquerading as one in an effort to make all Hawks look bad.

Could almost say the same about Hawkzzz.

Cyril on the other hand, is brilliant, and is only getting started. Already cutting up teams with 13 possessions a game, all he needs is another couple of years to improve his possessions per game, and he'll be truly elite.

So Gibbs is not brilliant, has no room for improvement, and needs 30+ disposals to have any influence on a game at all?

I understand now, thank you for clearing up my obvious lack of football knowledge.

You muppet.

I'd take Gibbs and easily. He is more versatile. He can play inside and outside as a midfielder, can play as a tagger and is very capable up forward. Give me 10 Bryce Gibbs' over one Rioli. Look Rioli was good lasy year but in a poor side Gibbs is standing out. It is easy to look good when your side is winning.

???

Don't you mean the other way, 10 rioli's to 1 gibbs.

As if.

That logic is so flawed and typical of BF. "That player plays in a winning side so therefore he is overated." And similiarly, "This player accumulates 25+ possessions in a losing side so therefore is he underated."

Just watch Rioli in '09, trust me... :thumbsu:

Where did i say Rioli was overrated, he is a first year player who had a good year...he isn't a superstar or a dud, he was a good player in a good team, and as i said he had good forwards around him all year...its easier to have a better year in a good team, with great support.

My point about Gibbs was that he played more time in the middle, where its harder to get a kick and win the ball, thats it, did say he was underrated, although i think people just like to take the piss and abuse Gibbs on BF, that is typical.

Gibbs will be a premier midfielder in coming years, plays the game very similar to the way James Hird, people may not see that but the kid has more time when he has the ball than anybody, and he creates that time, runs the lines and tackles like a crazy man....complete package!!!

My point about Gibbs was that he played more time in the middle, where its harder to get a kick and win the ball, . . .

Stop making piss poor excuses and/or showing your complete and utter ignorance of the game.

Anyone with even a passing interest in the game knows it is far easier to get a kick playing in the guts than it is as a small forward.

Rioli has the "Aboriginal factor"Which basically means he will be brilliant and amazing one day and useless the next.Some might say inconsistent.
Gibbs will be far and above the better all round player although it may take time to mature .

Rioli has the "Aboriginal factor"Which basically means he will be brilliant and amazing one day and useless the next.Some might say inconsistent.
Gibbs will be far and above the better all round player although it may take time to mature .

This has got to be the biggest load of bollocks in a thread full of bollocks

'Aboriginal factor'?

How about moving into the 21st century pal, how was Lance Franklins consistency? What about Goodse over the years and his couple of Brownlows? I believe Cyrils uncle Maurice was a pretty consistent sort of chap

Really pal, please dont let old myths and steretypes bring you down to the level of that comment you just made

Shaun Burgoyne ?
Do you own a pointy white hood & own a gas boosted cross ?

Meh, Essendon fans are just sour they missed out on junior boy. Unfortunately there's no uncle/nephew rule yet.

If football was about accruing stats, then Gibbs would be your man.

If you want real impact however, it's Rioli.

Gibbs is good at getting the easy ball though, we'll give him that. Rioli has to learn to not be as hard at it at times, and stand on the outside waiting for the handball receive. And in time, he will.

Hardly, we'd rather David Myers thanks who I am betting will be a better player than Rioli long term.:thumbsu:

???

Don't you mean the other way, 10 rioli's to 1 gibbs.

Yep, my mistake. Honestly, I'd take Gibbs. There is a reason he went no1 in the Superdraft ahead of gun talls- he is that good. If Rioli was that good he would have gone pick1. Pretty simple concept.

Where did i say Rioli was overrated, he is a first year player who had a good year...he isn't a superstar or a dud, he was a good player in a good team, and as i said he had good forwards around him all year...its easier to have a better year in a good team, with great support.

My point about Gibbs was that he played more time in the middle, where its harder to get a kick and win the ball, thats it, did say he was underrated, although i think people just like to take the piss and abuse Gibbs on BF, that is typical.

Gibbs will be a premier midfielder in coming years, plays the game very similar to the way James Hird, people may not see that but the kid has more time when he has the ball than anybody, and he creates that time, runs the lines and tackles like a crazy man....complete package!!!

It was the sentiment you were trying to make though, right?

"Rioli played as a small forward in the premiership winning team with very good forwards around him. Whereas Gibbs was playing through the midfield where its harder to win the ball and look flashy like Rioli clearly is."

Maybe it is easier to have a better year in a good team, but I think good players shine regardless, i.e Palmer (Fremantle), Cale Morton (Melbourne), Murphy (Carlton) ect. Typically, players who play well in their first season of AFL in a good or bad team usually end up as good players.

I don't disagree with your opinion about Gibbs either. I think if a team had to re-build after overhauling a list, Gibbs would be picked before Rioli.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bryce Gibbs v Cyril Rioli

Remove this Banner Ad

Back