TheWhiteRhino

Premiership Player
Apr 24, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney
http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/buckleys-toughest-10/2008/06/06/1212259116578.html

Top 10 toughest players in the league according to Bucks:

1. Brett Kirk (Sydney)
2. Luke Hodge (Hawthorn)
3. Scott Burns (Collingwood)
4. Brad Sewell (Hawthorn)
5. Jonathan Brown (Brisbane)
6. Luke Ball (St Kilda)
7. Michael Wilson (Port Adelaide)
8. Cameron Ling (Geelong)
9. James McDonald (Melbourne)
10. Barry Hall (Sydney)

Spot on I think.

Coming close would have to be: James Bartel (Geelong), Chris Judd (Carlton), Daniel Kerr (West Coast), Craig Bolton (Sydney), Campbell Brown (Hawthorn), Daniel Pratt (Kangaroos), Nathan Jones (Melbourne), Lenny Hayes (St Kilda)

Thoughts?

No Campbell Brown? Surely........ And what about Dean Brogan after he punched a)that kid out at the airport b) the 65 yr old doctor who was walking his dog in a gay park c) his hit on Adelaide 'tough guy' Luke Jericho whilst he wasnt looking.......

Not a bad article from Bucks:

"The toughest footballers don't show pain, discomfort or distress like other players might. The toughest ones make it a habit to get on with business; they overcome constraints that would have others looking for a way out.
Tough players, in my view, have a single-minded focus to do whatever it takes to achieve the desired result: to win games of football.
To this end, nothing - and I mean nothing - gets in their way.
Physically, these players are rarely bowed, even when hampered by restrictions that would cut down most others.
Mentally, they are never beaten.
Every moment of the game is an opportunity to enforce their will on the contest.
And more often than not, they do."

This is what Bucks is talking about.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TzvW5J_1pCM&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TzvW5J_1pCM&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Damien Peverril woudl be up there... has taken some huge hits in his time and just got back up and kept on playing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Burns :rolleyes:

Wilson :rolleyes:

Wilson has had both knees reconstructed, both shoulders reconstructed (played the entire 2004 season with both shoulders continuously popping out), is 30+ years of age yet still keeps throwing himself into picks, laying bone crunching tackles and running against the flight of the ball after all of these years.

LOL what would buckley know about being tough absolutely nothing

And what you would know about been tough? See, two can play that game

Wilson has had both knees reconstructed, both shoulders reconstructed (played the entire 2004 season with both shoulders continuously popping out), is 30+ years of age yet still keeps throwing himself into picks, laying bone crunching tackles and running against the flight of the ball after all of these years.

Looking at your username, Salopek would be up there on the list as well, i'd imagine.

I don't i've ever seen him play without a bandage around his head.

An excellent article, I thought, which is consistent with Buckley's performance in the media this year.

Now he has retired, Buckley is able to extend his focus beyond Collingwood, and his thoughts on a range of footy matters have been very illuminating. He might finally have Vossy covered!

On topic, though,he hasn't actually placed the top 10 in rank order has he?

Did anyone hear Bucks last night on channel 7 when Bruce asked if Bartel was part of the ten?

Bucks sounded disapointed at himself for leaving him out

i understand how tough players can be separated fro the rest but to rank them? i wouldn't say that soctt burns is tougher than jimmy bartel who isnt tougher than luke ball etc.... they all commit selfless acts and put their bodies on the line but i think it is wrong to rank them because it is not accurate, they are all tough nuts (pratt questionable) and we should just leave it at that!

both wilson and burns deserve to be there, its not about what injuries they've obtained but how they play the game

Remove this Banner Ad

Bucks's Toughest 10

Remove this Banner Ad

Back