Buddy - How do you think he'll fare at the Brownlow?

Remove this Banner Ad

He already has 21 goals. Everyone has Buddy fever, so maybe the umpires do too. He needs to watch his mouth and not give away 50's though.

FWIW this is where I reckon the Brownlows at...

Round 1 Mitchell 3, Franklin 2, Osbourne 1.

Round 2 Sewell 3, Mitchell 2, Pavlich 1.

Round 3 Sewell 3, Osborne 2, Franklin 1.

Round 4 Franklin 3, Bateman 2, Crawf 1.

Just a lot of guess work there. I have 6 different Hawks who may have polled so far. There is still guys like Guerra, Young, Birch and others who have played very good games. However, Buddy should be right up there in the top 10. There will be a few Hawks, mainly Mitch, Sewell and maybe Hodge who should be in the race.

You don't think Guerra get a single vote after 38 possessions, 16 marks, 5-6 inside 50's, etc

Buddy is going to go close, but umpires deduct marks for misses on goal. The amount of points he kicks will come back to haunt him.

The other thing against Buddy is that there are a few Hawks who are great players and also attract the umpires eye & are "stand outs" looks wise:

Buddy: Tall, athletic, good looking
Mitchell: Small, blonde
Bateman: Indigenous & hair

Then there's all the other great players who don't have something eye catching about them: Hodge, Guerra, Young, Roughead, etc

Mind you, if Buddy kicks 100+ he'll go close. :thumbsu:

You don't think Guerra get a single vote after 38 possessions, 16 marks, 5-6 inside 50's, etc

Maybe. Like I said, it's all a bit of guess work. I had Goo down for 1 vote, then swapped him with Crawf. Guerra could get 3,2 or 1 votes, but I thought the Umps would notice Crawf a little more (28 dis, 1 goal), who also had a good game. Backmen traditionally don't seem to get the umps attention.

Guerra had a great day out, one of his best for us, but did play the lose man for the majority. As far as value for us goes though, he was top 3 for the Hawks.

Buddy has a style and charisma on the field that will get noticed a lot more than forwards of the past. He’s flamboyant and will defiantly get noticed, especially when he gets 18 disposals himself, picks up 9 marks against very good opponents, and kicks 6 goals, 3 from outside 50.

I recon Sewelly could take it out this year!
Looks like he's gonna back up his B&F with an absolutely incredible season, especially with his new found ability to switch from tagger to genuine star mid-fielder.
I think Sewell, Mitch, Franklin, Hodge and even Rioli will fill out the top 20 in the Brownlow count:thumbsu:
Looks like the AA's will be full of Hawks and Cats too.

I'd put money on him winning it this year......he is leading it or there abouts at the minute..probably has 5-7 votes tucked after 4 rounds with about another half a dozen blokes

22-26 votes usually wins it most years ...

18 games to go ...16-18 votes to get....dominates the papers and talk back, kicks BIG goals from 120 meters out on the boundary into the wind on his non prefered and has zipped it up of late even if he does give away free kicks......cooks a mean bolognese and travels well by train.

BIG SHOW.:thumbsu:

If Bunghole, whom I rate to be a superior forward than Franklin (at the moment), never won a Charlie (came close though), then I'd be very surprised to see Franklin win it.

It's a midfielders award, pure and simple. Mitchell would be leading our votes at the moment, notwithstanding he was well-held against the Roos and didn't play the Crows.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He already has 21 goals. Everyone has Buddy fever, so maybe the umpires do too. He needs to watch his mouth and not give away 50's though.

FWIW this is where I reckon the Brownlows at...

Round 1 Mitchell 3, Franklin 2, Osbourne 1.

Round 2 Sewell 3, Mitchell 2, Pavlich 1.

Round 3 Sewell 3, Osborne 2, Franklin 1.

Just a lot of guess work there. I have 6 different Hawks who may have polled so far. There is still guys like Guerra, Young, Birch and others who have played very good games. However, Buddy should be right up there in the top 10. There will be a few Hawks, mainly Mitch, Sewell and maybe Hodge who should be in the race.

I reckon it might be more like this Fisher but it is just my opinion:

Round 1 Mitchell 3, Franklin 2, Bateman 1.

Round 2 Sewell 3, Mitchell 2, Roughead 1.

Round 3 Sewell 3, J.Lewis 2, Franklin 1.

Round 4 Bateman 3, Guerra 2, Franklin 1.

There's no way Pavlich deserved a vote in the Freo game.

Buddy has a chance of winning it cos he runs up to the wing and backline sometimes to help out, if he does that more often and gets some 20 possession games, then he should be able to do it.

Too many vote pullers in our midfield taking votes off Buddy. Mitchell, Hodge, Bateman, Crawford, Sewell & Lewis will all poll quite well this year. Forwards just don't poll that well. A midfielders award. 90 goals should get him close to 15 votes. A Coleman Medal, a Norm Smith Medal and an All Australian guernsey would do just nicely ;).

Hard to say really, I sit on the fence.

He does tend to give away atleast one 50m penalty per game and alot of free kicks(I think he was the worst offender in the league last year wasn't he?), dont know how his frees against stack up this year but previous winners tended to receive more than they gave away.

But

With all the hype that surounds Buddy he will always be in the umpires thought process. Bags of 5 and 6 will see him pick up a few 1's and 2's but probably not that many 3's sadly. 100+ goals might see him there abouts at the end of the year:thumbsu:

I was just thinking about this the other day. For mine Bateman has been in our best couple three times, Mitchell and Sewell twice each. The Brownlow is clearly a midfielders award.

I agree with Mervyn. Buddy would just about have to get 7 goals to get a vote.

The Brownlow is definitely a midfielder's award, and recent history proves that. Even if Buddy kicks 100 goals this season, the umpires would've still awarded the votes to the blokes who deliver it lace out to Buddy every time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Buddy - How do you think he'll fare at the Brownlow?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back