Bulldogs favourites to get Cousins

Remove this Banner Ad

Just read a thread and hearing on the radio that people are saying and writing that we are favourites to get Ben Cousins....
Surely theres no room for him in our midfield!!!:eek:
The guy is one of the best midfielders in the last 20 years. If fit and clean he would walk in ahead of all bar Cooney. He is a gun.

If (and I say if) he was clean it could be a great benefit for the team on field and the club off field. The club would be looked at in a positive light for helping turn around a player who had gone off the rails, which is exactly what they are trying to achieve with the work they do in the local community.

Of course if we recruited him he could get back on the gear and it would blow up in our face.

If the club thought the past was in the past I say go for him with avengance. Guys with that ability at the price we would pay are very rare, particularly for a club with (dare i say) an open window.

It's funny, I seem to recall a lot of people around here saying theres no way in hell they would want Aker at the club when he was on the market... Do you think them same people are regretting getting him now??
The man is a gun footballer. True, he is 30 but he would have a good 3 years left in him and with our current blend of youth and experience our premiership window is NOW and probably the next 2 seasons while the likes of Johnno, west, eagleton, Akermanis, Welsh, and Hudson are still around and contributing...
We should be doing anything and everthing we can if it meant getting closer to a premiership

Don't want him, he is tainted in my mind. If you can get away with taken recreational drugs way wouldn't you take performance enhancing drugs as well.

If he was a addict as reported we couldn't get up for games without it.

The guy is one of the best midfielders in the last 20 years. If fit and clean he would walk in ahead of all bar Cooney. He is a gun.

30 years old, 12/18 months out of the game, had a drug addiction.

Yes he was a champion player, but he won't come back the same as when he left. He'd get in the team if West retires. That's the only way i can see it happening. I'd rather get games in to Ward, Hill and Higgins in the midfield.

Yes he was a champion player, but he won't come back the same as when he left. He'd get in the team if West retires. That's the only way i can see it happening. I'd rather get games in to Ward, Hill and Higgins in the midfield.

do you think Cousins would get a game before Eagle?

You are taking the piss I assume? Ward and Hill are great long term prospects but their development should not be at the expense of a possible tilt at a premiership.

If we play in a final tomorrow would you pick a fit and clean cousins or would you pick Ward/Hill to further their development?

If Cousins is to play AFL again, he would be tested for drugs all the time. It would be written in his contract. If the powers that be saw him fit and able, I would not hesitate. It has been said before that some people said that they would not follow the Dogs if we got Aker.

If the club was after media exposure, who better to provide this than Cousins. The media would be all over it. Sponsers would get thier name on TV and print media everywhere.

He would come cheap, and players of he ilk dont come cheap.

Go get him.

If his recovered then go get him. The bloke can play and will add some finals exprence into a youngish list.

There are two questions to be answered here.

Why would we take him?
He is a huge risk, but the potential for greatness is there.

Why would he want to come to us?
Would he fit in with the playing group, can he add to the promise of a premiership, excellent new facilities. He surely won't be paid very well.

IMO the answer to question one is he's too big a risk.
The second question's answer is anyone's guess. But the location of the club may get him into some trouble if you catch my drift :p.

Just a couple of things to ponder.

The Dogs are one of the better liked teams amongst opposition supporters and the media so there will be far less negativity and cynisism than say at a collingwood. We are well regarded when it comes to things like players staying out of trouble and having strong quality guys on our list. We have been a leader in community work and drugs are a problem that Footscray and the western suburbs has been affected by or been percieved to be affected by more than others, and i feel it is a perfect opportunity to for us as a club and a team to improve our standing, IF we do it properly, actually put work into helping Cousins, not just look at it as an opportunity to pick up a more than handy player on the cheap because he is damaged goods.

Get the spin doctors out, 'this is just as much about helping out an individual as it is about getting a player' 'we believe that the strength of our leaders at the club we can help Ben' you know the kind of thing but actually mean it too.

As far as losing sponsers go, there would be a massive increase in Bulldogs coverage through Cousins being there alone, not to mention the fact that if we dont win it this year it would certainly heighten expectations on what we could acheive next year with him in the side. I would imagine we would be far more likely to increase sposorships than lose them.

Parents of young players - sit them down and talk to them, explain to them what we are trying to do, this is the type of club we are, tell them the guidelines that Cousins will have to abide by, explain that drugs are everywhere and easily available to players regardless of whether Cousins is with us or not, and that we are being pro-active to educate our young kids, and that we will be using Cousins, someone they can relate to and has first hand experience in the matter to help with this education.

Imagine the good it could do for the image of the club if we can turn it around for Cousins. It could be massive for Footscray as a club, and that is not even taking into account what he could possibly bring to the team.

Is there a risk, of course there is, but look at it realistically people, he knows that this is it for him, he will be under strict contract guidelines and we will ACTUALLY BE PUTTING EFFORT INTO HELPING HIM. If he ____s up again, we cut him loose straight away and say 'hey we tried to help him but we cant have him being a destabalising influence on our great club so he is gone, we are still going to be there for Ben and offer to help how we can, but he is to have no more to do with any of our players, we as a club want to help him if we can but his career with us is finished'

Does anyone seriously think that the AFL is going to take draft picks off us in this situation? Even if i thought that was a possibility i would still say go for it, i love Footscray the club and am proud to follow them, i think this could be a chance to show the rest of the AFL how a club should be run, while at the same time improving our likelyhood of success and survival.

Very good post Drunken Bum and if the club are considering taking him I'm pretty sure that those are the kind of lines they would be thinking along.

Personally I have been pretty critical of Ben but everyone deserves a second and third and fourth chance (has anyone ever tried to give up smoking?) and if handled correctly I can see only positives, for the club and Ben.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone seriously think that the AFL is going to take draft picks off us in this situation? Even if i thought that was a possibility i would still say go for it, i love Footscray the club and am proud to follow them, .

Are you serious? You would risk draft picks to recruit a midfielder who has 3 years at most left in him? In an environment where draft picks are like gold due to the two new teams coming into the league.

Is there a risk, of course there is, but look at it realistically people, he knows that this is it for him, he will be under strict contract guidelines and we will ACTUALLY BE PUTTING EFFORT INTO HELPING HIM.

How can you help people with behavioural problems though?

Guys who like to party, need an illicit substance to have a good time. Bolt at the first sight of a booze bus. Have underworld figures as your closest friends. Refuse to help police with regards to enquiries into shootings. Have association with criminal biker gangs. Get so out of it that they fall unconcious in public places.Ignore warnings from Police Chief that clubs not to have bad associations.

How can you actually help these type of people though? Counselling, tell them not to do it, threaten them with sanctions? The eagles did that, and did it work? The eagles admitted that they didn't have the expertise or resources to help him and they are probably the wealthiest club in the AFL. So I am not sure how we are going to be able to do it.

How can people say no? Look at his first game last year after almost 10months without playing a game. 38 or so posessions.

If he came into our midfield it would make it only better. He would easily start in the centre square and imagine how much better off either he or Cooney would be with the second best tagger. People who disagree because our midfield is already strong and he would only add to the depth, its like saying, we are the highest scoring team at the moment so why change our forward line right? say Bradshaw was offered, would we say no because he would only add to the depth.

And for those skeptical about what would happen if he brought in a negative influence to the club? Clauses can always be put into contracts if this happens, and he could be delisted straight away

No way...anyone who has played a decent level of sport knows that culture and fit also have a big impact on success. Apart from the fact he is 30 years old. I'm all for second chances but he is on about his 10th chance. Collingwood can have him.

And comparing the Aker situation to Cousins is absolutely ludicrous. Aker is simply a bloke who speaks his mind and tells it how it is. Cousins is/was a bloke who has admitted to time and time again snorting s$%t up his snozzer and continually lying and defying his own football club.

I think a lot of what is said above is very valid and wouldnt mind his experience in finals and hard running.

Its dealing with the youngsters that concerns me.

Inevitably when a 1st, 2nd or 3rd year player who has not been near any class A drugs asks Mr Cousins "so what were they (coke, E's, speed etc) like?". The answer my most drug users (present and former) is - "I had some of the greatest times of my life, felt great, ladies blah blah blah..............but you have to be careful".

I wouldnt want this question being asked by one of our youngsters and this being a possible answer out of his mouth.

I think a lot of what is said above is very valid and wouldnt mind his experience in finals and hard running.

Inevitably when a 1st, 2nd or 3rd year player who has not been near any class A drugs asks Mr Cousins "so what were they (coke, E's, speed etc) like?". The answer my most drug users (present and former) is - "I had some of the greatest times of my like, felt great, ladies blah blah blah..............but you have to be careful".

I wouldnt want this question being asked by one of our youngsters and this being a possible answer out of his mouth.

You'd be kiddin yourself if you think that these young kids don't have any friends or people that they know (and not someone in the media a la cousins) that have been into the stuff before.

Inevitably when a 1st, 2nd or 3rd year player who has not been near any class A drugs asks Mr Cousins "so what were they (coke, E's, speed etc) like?". The answer my most drug users (present and former) is - "I had some of the greatest times of my like, felt great, ladies blah blah blah..............but you have to be careful".

Spot on Goodfella, you have obivously been around sporting clubs...you can't get away from those blokes when you are playing and training with them and I have seen time and time again players get caught up who you never would have thought would get caught up. I am not saying Cousins is going to be taking drugs now, I don't think he is that stupid, but all it might take is an old story or inference to twig a young fella to "try it once, it won't hurt me".

Where we are at as a club at the moment we don't need nor want a Cousins.

but why do people assume a young fella would risk it. they work very hard as young kids to get the chance to be drafted and im sure they all heard about what happened to cousins that i doubt they would be prepared to take the risk espically with the club facing more drug tests should cousins join us. give the young kids some credit.

but why do people assume a young fella would risk it. they work very hard as young kids to get the chance to be drafted and im sure they all heard about what happened to cousins that i doubt they would be prepared to take the risk espically with the club facing more drug tests should cousins join us. give the young kids some credit.

Its not just footballers, the world and jails are full of rich (see Pratt) and successfull people who do stupid things for the thrill, high or for more dollars.

It sounds crazy to all of us wishing we were Shaun Higgons.

Are you serious? You would risk draft picks to recruit a midfielder who has 3 years at most left in him? In an environment where draft picks are like gold due to the two new teams coming into the league.
Well for starters i dont believe that the AFL could possibly take draft picks from us if everything is open and done in the right way.
Secondly a midfielder that could quite possibly bring us to the promised land.

How can you help people with behavioural problems though?

Guys who like to party, need an illicit substance to have a good time. Bolt at the first sight of a booze bus. Have underworld figures as your closest friends. Refuse to help police with regards to enquiries into shootings. Have association with criminal biker gangs. Get so out of it that they fall unconcious in public places.Ignore warnings from Police Chief that clubs not to have bad associations.

How can you actually help these type of people though? Counselling, tell them not to do it, threaten them with sanctions? The eagles did that, and did it work? The eagles admitted that they didn't have the expertise or resources to help him and they are probably the wealthiest club in the AFL. So I am not sure how we are going to be able to do it.
I was one of those people with so called 'behavioural problems' I lost a cpl of jobs and a few friends and a shit load of money and nearly had to declare bankruptcy before i woke up to myself. You dont need to know the why's or hows and i am certainly not going to make excuses, i had choices i made the wrong ones at the time, ultimately it all comes back to me. Sometimes it takes hitting rock bottom for people to realise what they have lost.
The truth is you can't help people who dont want to be helped, but assess the situation whether he is fair dinkum or not, and put those processes in place to help him if we believe he is.

Do you seriously believe that the Eagles made a proper attempt to help him, or were even fully aware of the extent of his problems?
You're kidding yourself if you think a club even one as small as the dogs doesn't have the resources and network support available to help one person who has/had a drug addiction/behavioral issues. I did it myself while paying off debts i had racked up, all because i went back to place i had been sacked explained situation straight out and that i was looking for another chance and they were good enough to give me that chance.
This is what i am saying, use this as an opportunity to help someone, it just so happens that this same person can pay us back with the talent he happens to posess.

in the herald sun article on all of our re signings they quoted james fantasia saying that we are almost 100% of our salary cap trying to retain our current players. would't that mean we couldn't get cousins even if we wanted him?????
What has the salary cap got to do with it? I wouldn't have thought Ben Cousins would have much bargaining power when it comes to money. He would be offered a one year deal with an option by either party to re-sign after that. I cannot see how Ben could ask for a lot of money.
If more than 4 clubs are really chasing him his value increases, he doesn't need to be traded from West Coast as he was de-listed, so he can be picked up in the national draft or pre-season draft if he nominates.
The question is will he still be around by pick 13-16 though?

I would take him if the price was right. Lets face it guys we have had some very good success over the years with recruiting players from other teams. This guy has done everything their is to do in football and was made a joke of to the AFL world and the people closest to him by his actions.

He would want a fresh start a start were he will feel comfortable and the Bulldogs could be the home for him. We don't have much party heads or at least much trouble makers and lets face it he still has a year or three in him. That is the window of Bulldogs success you would think.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bulldogs favourites to get Cousins

Remove this Banner Ad

Back