Buyer Beware - Dodgy Hawthorn memorabilia

Remove this Banner Ad

May 23, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Accompanying the latest version of Hawk Talk was the June issue of Hawk Nest, the official Hawthorn Football Club Merchandise Issue.

On page 13 there was an item that caught my eye. In particular, item 2563, the "Hall of Fame Photographic Collage" - a limited print of just 100 retailing for $395. The centrepiece of this collage is the instant inducted as the 'Hall of Fame' moment, specifically Chris Langford showing his jumper to the crowd after our 1-point win over Melbourne in Round 22, 1996.

The blurb selling this print says:
As part of the inaugural Hall of Fame, the club has inducted a Hall of Fame moment as selected by the Hawks Forever committee - Chris Langford removing his guernsey after the "1996 merger game". This fabulous piece captures all the nominees plus THE moment - a defining moment in the club's history. Each piece is autographed and comes complete with a tage and certificate of authenticity.

The reason this caught my eye is I have good reason to believe the picture is a fraud, doctored together by computer imagery. On our fridge we have a poster of the moment in question, with Langford showing the jumper to the crowd with Pritchard, Jencke and Dunstall beside him. The picture is grainy because it was taken from the video because there was no actual photograph of the moment.

Hence my surprise on seeing this photo. But on closer inspection I grew more suspicious. Langford appears better definied and out of proportion compared to the other players. Even stranger, Langford is clearly walking off to the Olympic Stand rooms. Yet Hawthorn were in the Southern Stand rooms that night and Langford showed his jumper near the race there.

So I had a quick flick through We are Hawthorn - the pictorial history of the club, and found a picture of Langford removing his jumper and waving it to the crowd on page 281. However, the picture was from his last game in 1997, NOT the merger match. The picture is almost identical. It seems the club has cut this image and pasted it into another picture and are claiming it's from the night in question.

Maybe it's not a big deal, but I reckon it's a bit cheeky, and perhaps not even legal to be flogging off these prints at a high price when the picture isn't even authentic.

Anyway, have a look for yourself and tell me what you reckon. I've attempted to scan them, so apologies for the quality.

Here is the picture from We are Hawthorn.
631895224423617728.jpg

Here is the print that they are selling at the club at the moment.
631895224882477536.jpg

Top spot. Definitely a fake, the two images don't quite match, but I'd expect the lifted photo was taken at almost the exact moment as the other one. Either that or Langford simply ran around that way all the time like a giant prat.

They do things well down at the family club.

The fact that they not only doctored the photo but also some valuable piece of history is pathetic. Like re-written it to make a profit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Definately got some creative people at Hawthorn, first the membership list full of pets and now this dodgy memorabilia. You would think they could come up with a winning game plan ;)

Originally posted by Becker
Ever consider that they are two seperate photos taken from differing angles? You people with your conspiracy theories make me sick.

Yeah, I did consider that. But the similarities are pretty uncanny. I don't think the two photos are exactly the same, but they certainly seem to have been taken at the same moment.

I'm not doing because I want to stick the boots in - last thing my club needs right now is more controversy. But there is no way I can condone Hawthorn ripping off its members like that.

Similar, but the slack of the jumper at the top is different i.e. one flops forward. Though their seems to be a common jumper stain on both jumpers. Suss and dissapointing. Though depending on the wording of the ad and the fine print, if any, it still may be legal.

Originally posted by Becker
Ever consider that they are two seperate photos taken from differing angles? You people with your conspiracy theories make me sick.

The top one is Waverley. The bottom one is the MCG. Unless he did it twice at different games its a doctored photo.

Originally posted by The Phat Side
The top one is Waverley. The bottom one is the MCG. Unless he did it twice at different games its a doctored photo.

Yep thats what gives it away the most.

Remove this Banner Ad

Buyer Beware - Dodgy Hawthorn memorabilia

Remove this Banner Ad

Back